Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Building a 2017 S3

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by justinmj
So I'm about to do my order. Here's a question: If I don't really use the navigation, is Technology Package just really about side assist and virtual cockpit? Is the MMI any different otherwise? Is the input wheel on the console smaller/different?
Kepp in my mind that the new Nav systems audi is using no longer require expensive updates, you download them from the website to an SD card and load them on the system. Plus having the nav and tech package always seems to help resale
Old 08-28-2016, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by littleredwagen
Kepp in my mind that the new Nav systems audi is using no longer require expensive updates, you download them from the website to an SD card and load them on the system. Plus having the nav and tech package always seems to help resale
I certainly can appreciate that, but this car will be leased, and also I rarely use the built-in nav on my cars.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

B&O system is great, my mom has a Lexus GS 350 an I like my system more.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, all. I've been getting some conflicting reports, some say the car is decidedly more quiet and less harsh with 18" wheels and no magnetic ride. Hmmm...I think my priority might be comfort, especially on crappy LA roads.

I'm also vacillating on the virtual cockpit. I just went to an Audi dealership and checked it out in a '17 A4. It's certainly totally cool, but I don't know if I neeeeed it. If I don't need it, and if side assist isn't strictly necessary, and nav isn't a priority, I suppose I should just do:

Navarra Blue
Premium Plus
B&O Audio

Again this is a lease, so I'm not concerned about resale. I'd love any and all thoughts and opinions about my build as I narrow this down.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lol nah I love my 19s and magnetic ride!
Old 08-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

this is just my 2 cents.............

i wouldnt get a 2017 without the virtual cockpit or magnetic ride an i would def get prestige......

i think you should get the 2017 a4 premium plus.....and save some money
Old 08-28-2016, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by casualalfredo
B&O system is great, my mom has a Lexus GS 350 an I like my system more.
Most GS 350s ship with standard Lexus sound systems. Compared to most other non upgraded factory system it is good, but does not sound anywhere as good as the B & O. Their Mark Levinson system ($1,380 upgraded just for that) sounds very good. IMO it sounds a little more natural than the B & O. That said, I really do enjoy the sound and clean output at higher volumes of the B & O system. The latter is not an easy task in a Cab with top down at 75 mph.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by casualalfredo
this is just my 2 cents.............

i wouldnt get a 2017 without the virtual cockpit or magnetic ride an i would def get prestige......

i think you should get the 2017 a4 premium plus.....and save some money
You bring up a very good point, considering my needs. I just wish the A4 wasn't so large. But it's quite luxurious and still quick. I had just wanted to go S3 because it's so much harder and also more compact. But I do want a quiet environment and nice ride quality, so it may indeed be worth me having a think on this and considering an A4.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justinmj
You bring up a very good point, considering my needs. I just wish the A4 wasn't so large. But it's quite luxurious and still quick. I had just wanted to go S3 because it's so much harder and also more compact. But I do want a quiet environment and nice ride quality, so it may indeed be worth me having a think on this and considering an A4.
They are different cars. The S3 would be faster (about 1 second 0-60.) The A4 is larger - about 9" longer. If you do a lot of city parallel parking smaller size can be an advantage. For the extra length you get a little less than an extra inch in legroom and 30% more capacity in the trunk. The A4 is physically more car for less money when comparing it to a S3, but less in performance comparison.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good points. FYI I sat in both an A3 today and a '17 A4, and went back and forth between them for about 45 minutes. The A4 driving position just feels better in almost every spacial dimension, not just legroom. But where it really counts is the back seat. They are vastly different. The A4 back seat just seems immensely more livable, with actual head room for those passengers and a less upright position. Besides obvious performance metrics, I'll also say that the S3 has an advantage not only in the easier parking and turning radius, but also the panoramic sunroof is way better. And, the A3/S3 cabin is very cool and minimal, which has its own appeal. I'm going to now go back and drive an A4, just so I can get the whole experience. Meanwhile, I do have my S3 order starting up now.

Quick Reply: Building a 2017 S3