Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Bumper & Grille Protection for the City

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bumper & Grille Protection for the City

Back in September I ordered a new A3 Cabriolet 2.0T Quattro, Prestige trim, Advanced Technology Package. I omitted the sport suspension and 19" rims (though they are very pretty) in favor of ride quality and all-weather drivability.

I chose Dakota Gray with the Brown interior, and I'm having a clear bra done including front and rear bumpers by a professional who will do the job at the dealer before I take delivery. This is to protect the car from stone chips and minor scrapes, because I live (and park) in the city of Philadelphia, PA (USA) without the benefit of a garage. However, trucks with hitches, old cars with metal bumpers, and sharp screw heads on other cars' license plates are more than I expect the 3M clear protection to be able to defend against, so I ordered a Bumpshox 3.0 for the front, and a Parking Armor 48" bumper cushion for the rear.

The car is due at the dealer next week, and I'm just wondering if the rear bumper pad will fit in the trunk. It's about 48" long and maybe 10" wide. Can anyone provide the interior trunk dimensions for the Cabrio?

I believe it has an irregular shape somewhat like this (viewed from above, and from the rear), but I can find no actual measurements, just capacity in cubic feet.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Any help with the measurements, or if you have used these or similar products on your car, I would love to hear about your results.

Thanks!

Last edited by Peter8V758L; 12-18-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It fits in my new S3's trunk. The edges need to be bent a little but the material is easily flexible.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, I have never heard of this before. Good to know.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention that I also ordered a waterproof half cover from Classic Additions in the U.K. but it hasn't arrived yet. For some reason I couldn't find them here in the states. It just covers the 'greenhouse' (roof and all windows) and it has pockets for the side mirrors. Extra protection in foul weather for the soft top, and no scraping the windows on those icy winter mornings!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice work...you really take care of your baby well!

Is the greenhouse cover somewhat permanent? Or some type of solution you apply to the top?
Old 12-22-2014, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

The cover is an actual car cover, not an applied substance, but it only covers the roof and glass area, with pockets for the mirrors. It is made from some silver-colored waterproof material to protect the top from foul weather, an issue since I must park outdoors. It arrived today, and I'm picking up my car tomorrow, so I'll have a chance to try it out soon enough and will take some pics and let you know what I think of it.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Peter8V758L
It arrived today, and I'm picking up my car tomorrow, so I'll have a chance to try it out soon enough and will take some pics and let you know what I think of it.
Please do! I would love to know how easy it is to put on/take off. Not having to scrape windows and windshield is a very appealing idea to me.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default With a clean car and Snow in the forecast, the half cover gets its first test...

The first time we got snow I wasn't ready, but this time I'm one step ahead.

New Half Cover:

Earlier today, without the Cover:

First Snowfall, without the Cover:
Old 01-21-2015, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It looks like you are parking in the center turn lane? ! I guess life in the big city is quite abit different than the burbs of Ohio.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default UPDATED PICS: Clear Bra, Bumper Protectors, Half Cover, etc.

Had the front end done in 3M clear film (front of hood and fenders plus bumper), and the rear bumper as well. These are not visible in the photos--they're barely visible in person unless you're up close and looking for them, but they should help fend off minor dings and scrapes from road debris and parking taps.

To protect the painted bumpers (and their clear coating) from bigger hits, the front has had a thick, black, rubber license plate frame mounted to the standard U.S. front plate holder, which all together sticks out about 1.5 inches further than the forward-most part of the front fascia. It contains a blank plate (also black) and no visible hardware so it doesn't significantly alter the look of the front end.

The rear utilizes a removable pad from Parking Armor, covered in a rubber/vinyl material, held in place with steel-reinforced, padded cloth straps which drape over the trunk sill, and are attached inside the trunk with velcro. This pad is only deployed while parked, and is never left on while driving. It just barely fits the trunk because it is 42" wide, but it's just 2" thick and very flexible so it fits if you bend it a little, and takes up very little space.

The waterproof half-cover is intended to protect the top from inclement weather, and to eliminate the need to scrape snow and/or ice off the windows and convertible top. We're expecting a small snow event this evening so I'll be interested to see how well it performs. It was easy enough to put on; with those mirror pockets and elastic straps it only took about 5 minutes.

If you're interested in any of these accessories for your own car, just let me know and I'll be happy to share the details of where I purchased, prices, etc.

P.S. @bryan_gus: Yes, on Broad street in South Philadelphia where the median isn't raised, there is parking in the wide center strip between the north and southbound lanes (except at corners with left turn lanes). I feel that being parked away from the curb, and under the bright lights of one of the city's busiest streets gives an extra measure of security around the clock. Plus I can park right outside my door and keep an eye on it, in-fact most of the photos are taken from my window using a zoom lens

Quick Reply: Bumper & Grille Protection for the City