Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Can you back out of deal once you have signed and put a deposit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:30 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

In California putting a deposit is more of just a good faith effort. The dealers will cash your check when you give it to them. There is no such thing as surrendering your deposit if you back out on a vehicle here. If you back out, you are completely entitled to a full refund. Nothing is permanent until you physically sign the purchase order.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe almost all dealers will refund a deposit. They don't want the hassle or bad rep of fighting the customer - too many other transactions to deal with. The only exception where they might balk would be a customized special order not on the price guide with unique color, interior, etc. Those may be tougher to sell due to the premium that Audi charges for those.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by musantemike
I signed and put a 1k deposit. This was Saturday. I have numerous calls and emails into dealer and they haven't called me updating me on delivery of car / credit terms etc. I am tempted to shop around to see if I can get a better deal. My CPO sales man walked me through the process seemlessly yet I cant even get a call back on a 47K car from salesman or manager. Can I use my deal as leverage and shop around?
In most states they have to give you your money back. Where do you live? I would check with consumer affairs where you live and if you have the right to get out, go in there and tolerate no BS. But do not delay doing this.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mikele
In most states they have to give you your money back. Where do you live? I would check with consumer affairs where you live and if you have the right to get out, go in there and tolerate no BS. But do not delay doing this.
Post #9 would indicate the OP already took this advice.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Post #9 would indicate the OP already took this advice.
Yep!!! Didn't get my money back yet but my cc company said they would dispute the charge If I didn't have it in a week
Old 06-25-2015, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Yep!!! Didn't get my money back yet but my cc company said they would dispute the charge If I didn't have it in a week
That dealer is not nice. Did the dealer say that they would refund?
Old 06-25-2015, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
That dealer is not nice. Did the dealer say that they would refund?
He said he would. He wasn't happy w me and eventually matched my other off, but I had come to far.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This ia good example of why it's best to negotiate with more than one dealer before signing anything. You can then leverage one against the other and hopefully get the best price from the dealer you prefer to do business with because they are closer, have a better service dept., etc.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
This ia good example of why it's best to negotiate with more than one dealer before signing anything. You can then leverage one against the other and hopefully get the best price from the dealer you prefer to do business with because they are closer, have a better service dept., etc.
100% agree. I Made a mistake. I will do this when my honda lease expires in about a year.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

100% agree. I Made a mistake. I will do this when my honda lease expires in about a year.
Hey, we all have made mistakes and hopefully, have learned from our experiences. Dealers are pros at what they do and we as buyers have to be prepared to meet the challenge. With experience and age comes wisdom. Usually.

Quick Reply: Can you back out of deal once you have signed and put a deposit?