Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

CarPlay in 2015 A3?

Old 10-09-2014, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CarPlay in 2015 A3?

I believe that Audi was discussing integrating CarPlay into their 2015 models. Will there be a firmware update to any of the existing models? I understand that Pioneer is allowing aftermarket units firmware updates to CarPlay.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardinVA
I believe that Audi was discussing integrating CarPlay into their 2015 models. Will there be a firmware update to any of the existing models? I understand that Pioneer is allowing aftermarket units firmware updates to CarPlay.
I don't have my S3 yet, but I believe I have seen in photos or videos that a button on the steering wheel is programmable. If someone could look in the A3/S3 MMI manuals and see what is currently possible. I thought that is one of the major parts of CarPlay is the button to activate Siri. Press button to activate Siri and give your commands to the iPhone.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

THIS WOULD BE THE OFFICIAL WORD...

Jun 30, 2014 , HERNDON, Va.
Audi will bring Apple CarPlay to new models

- With Apple CarPlay, Audi drivers will be able to access the power and simplicity of their iPhone to bring an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music and access messages
- Integrations in Audi models will allow full control of CarPlay features using the advanced Audi MMI® touchpad, voice and dial inputs
- CarPlay will begin appearing in new models first released for Europe in 2015, for North American markets in early 2016

HERNDON, Va., June 30, 2014 – Audi will begin offering Apple CarPlay, the smarter, safer and more fun way to use iPhone in the car, in all-new models scheduled to arrive in Europe next year and in U.S. showrooms by 2016.

CarPlay will integrate with Audi's built-in controls, including the innovative Audi MMI touch system, as well as dial controls and voice controls to easily activate Siri. This gives Audi drivers a variety of ways to minimize distraction on the road while accessing their iPhone to make calls, use Maps, listen to music and send or receive messages. In CarPlay-equipped models, Audi motorists will simply connect their iPhone to begin using their apps through the car’s native controls. Drivers also have the option to easily switch from the CarPlay view and the Audi infotainment functions as desired.

“Audi owners have high expectations when it comes to integrating access to mobile devices in vehicles,” said Scott Keogh, President, Audi of America. “CarPlay is immediately recognizable to iPhone users and will be a great added benefit for our customers. That’s why it was essential for Audi and Apple engineers to work closely together to seamlessly bring the capabilities of CarPlay to the advanced interfaces of the Audi MMI system."

The addition of CarPlay shows the commitment Audi maintains to give its drivers a broad array of choices in automotive electronics. Audi also has a proven track record of integrating access to mobile devices in its vehicles while focusing first on avoiding distractions for drivers.

For more information about CarPlay, visit: https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/.

- End -

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 10-09-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the button is programmable (I have it set-up to change the drive select settings).

This might be why Siri doesn't work with my MMI (S3) where my Q7 MMI works fine with Sir, there might be something that was supposed to be implemented but wasn't, maybe it was CarPlay.

How cool would that be?

Honestly, I can't believe how long it took VW group… they've been spending (probably) millions for their own OS, and it sucks compared to the worst smart phone. About time they 'outsourced' this… freakin' car companies, always 5 years behind.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To be fair, we are talking about the same company that didn't include a USB port in the damn A3. Nothing screams 'technology first!' like a proprietary cable that comes standard with a port to connect to an iphone 4...

I love my A3, but there are a few things that make me want to bang my head against a door (having to pay $$$$$ for options that was standard on my no-option '06 IS250 - push button start, interior led lighting, defrost on side mirrors, dimming rearview mirror, heated seats)
Old 10-10-2014, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by icourtnage
To be fair, we are talking about the same company that didn't include a USB port in the damn A3. Nothing screams 'technology first!' like a proprietary cable that comes standard with a port to connect to an iphone 4...

I love my A3, but there are a few things that make me want to bang my head against a door (having to pay $$$$$ for options that was standard on my no-option '06 IS250 - push button start, interior led lighting, defrost on side mirrors, dimming rearview mirror, heated seats)
And Audi includes items as standard that others might have as options. I don't agree with how Audi packages options or that some options are not available in certain models, but you will pay one way or another for a German car experience.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by icourtnage

I hear ya,but you got me thinking, I wonder if Germany/EU don't use these features, so maybe these are additional model change costs to have them in the US version of their cars. It seems like most German cars don't have some of these ubiquitous features. We do, I think adopt new devices sooner than most of Europe. (?)

Or, the mother ship back in Germany is seriously out of touch with The US driver...

Or, most likely, they don't give a damn and don't want to stoop to the US market trends.

Just grabbing a straws, I know.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any news on CarPlay?!?! Come on Audi
Old 08-19-2015, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
And Audi includes items as standard that others might have as options. I don't agree with how Audi packages options or that some options are not available in certain models, but you will pay one way or another for a German car experience.
I agree, Lexus packs their cars with luxury options because they can't compete with german driving experience.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't know if this has been posted yet:

From AOA website:

"Apple CarPlay is designed to improve the integration of Apple iPhones with the vehicle, and Audi has indicated that CarPlay will be available on some all-new Audi models arriving in U.S. showrooms by 2016. Audi signed on first with Google and its rival Android Auto system first. Apple first announced plans for “iOS in the Car” at its Worldwide Developers Conference in 2013. Early in 2014, the tech giant rebranded the system as CarPlay. CarPlay works with the iPhone 5 and any later versions. Designed to reduce distractions for drivers, CarPlay essentially eliminates any need for someone to pick up an iPhone by hand while driving because Audi vehicles will be able to operate the main functions through the Audi connect infotainment system. CarPlay will enable Audi drivers to make phone calls, play music, display maps and receive messages, using the car’s touchpad, buttons and dials or via voice commands."

Interestingly, Android was mentioned too:

"Audi plans to begin introducing Android Auto technology with all-new models it launches in 2016. Audi was a founding member of – and the only luxury brand among them – the Open Automotive Alliance, a coalition of Google and other technology companies and auto-industry leaders that was formed in early 2014 with the objective of bringing the Android platform to cars. Google demonstrated its Android Auto system for the first time at its I/O developer conference in San Francisco later in the year. Android Auto will provide a seamless link for Android mobile car apps to function through Audi connect. Motorists will be able to project apps and services optimized for voice commands and the driving environment, using Audi connect displays and controls optimized for safe and intuitive operation on the road. The Open Automotive Alliance is dedicated to building an open ecosystem around a common digital-tech platform in order to drive innovation in connectivity."

Also found a relatively new video, at least I hadn't seen it before:

Audi's Apple Car Play and Android Auto

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CarPlay in 2015 A3?