Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

CarPlay in 2015 A3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default CarPlay in 2015 A3?

We will see this in the all-new Q7, then in B9 A4, Q5...

The 2016 facelift A6 got 4G LTE but not the Carplay or Android Auto.

I have no confidence will Audi make this technology available retroactively.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell

I have no confidence will Audi make this technology available retroactively.
Agreed, no way. They are a car manufacturer, they will use it as one of many ingredients to entice people to update to a new model and to compete with or keep up with other automakers.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Agreed, no way. They are a car manufacturer, they will use it as one of many ingredients to entice people to update to a new model and to compete with or keep up with other automakers.
My expectations are very low but it's not impossible. Audi proudly claims that the new MMI is the "first modular infotainement system" and that it's designed to be upgraded. It actually is a box that you can swap and it wasn't the case with previous MMI generations. *Maybe* the facelifted A3 will support CarPlay and we will be able to upgrade to that new MMI module...
Old 09-06-2015, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by gloom227
Audi proudly claims that the new MMI is the "first modular infotainement system" and that it's designed to be upgraded. It actually is a box that you can swap and it wasn't the case with previous MMI generations. *Maybe* the facelifted A3 will support CarPlay and we will be able to upgrade to that new MMI module...
Technically, the modularity of the MIB housings might make an MMI upgrade possible, but it seems Audi introduced MIB for their benefit -- not ours.

As cool as the swappable chipset may be, don't get fooled into thinking the modularity will keep your car's multimedia system eternally up-to-date: the new MMI platform is intended to make Audi's future products easily adaptible to emerging chip updates, rather than enabling current owners to endlessly upgrade their existing hardware.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a10226/audi-mmi/
Old 10-30-2015, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I would be surprised if it wasn't just a software update, the current batch of A3's with MMI nav have everything necessary (fast cpu, wi-fi, high-res screen, etc) to do android auto and apple carplay.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres a vote for android play. just saw another video featuring car play and android audio and the android audio looks a lot better. the problem is that youll need a recent model android phone and at MINIMUM 5.0.1
Old 11-06-2015, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gloom227
My expectations are very low but it's not impossible. Audi proudly claims that the new MMI is the "first modular infotainement system" and that it's designed to be upgraded. It actually is a box that you can swap and it wasn't the case with previous MMI generations. *Maybe* the facelifted A3 will support CarPlay and we will be able to upgrade to that new MMI module...
Contradicting myself, I do agree with your hope... and it's the ONLY hope at that. Fingers crossed for sure.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure if this is old news, but on the recently-released list, only 2 Audi models (both 2017) are on Apple's site as supporting Carplay: Q7 and A4, despite supporting it on a crapload of 2016 VW models.

CarPlay - Available Models - Apple
Old 01-15-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since the VW "MMI" is basically the same thing that are in Audi's wouldn't you just be able to use a VW box in our Audis with the MMI version 1? Some VCD coding would have to take place, but considering its all the same and same platform?? I'm sure more complicated however.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm hopeful because of this video:

As well as this article from cnet:

The A3's Multi Media Interface (MMI) infotainment system is powered by Nvidia's Tegra 2 processor and features crisply rendered 3D topographical map data for the navigation system and snappy, sharp menus. You'll hardly ever catch this system so much as stuttering as it jumps back and forth among navigation, audio, and telephony. As OEM infotainment goes, this is cutting-edge stuff and it will only get sharper thanks to a modular hardware design that will allow the automaker to stay on its toes when updating the tech in future revisions.

Right now, it's packing the Tegra 2 and 4G LTE connectivity, but next year it could be rocking a more powerful brain or a faster connection. In a world where automotive product cycles were once measured in decades, Audi can update the A3's tech every few months. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be able to roll into your Audi dealership and update your car's hardware, but it doesn't totally rule out such future post-release improvements either.

2015 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro review - Roadshow

Dave