Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Complete audio system shut down while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete audio system shut down while driving

This has happened twice now in the last 2 months. The entire audio system just shuts down, screen goes into the dash, no sound, phone disconnects, everything is just dead. Is anyone else having this issue? The first time it happened it was off for 3-4 minutes before it all just came back on as random as it went off. Yesterday when it happened I was turning into the grocery store and had a complete shut down but didn't wait to see how long it would take to turn back on. When I got back into the car, everything just comes back on like normal. This is now going to be my third trip into Audi since January on my 8,000 mile car.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely your system is getting a bad canbus signal that is causing the system to think the car is off.

Get audi to replace and or ask them to upgrade your ECU first to see if that helps. Mine use to randomly just make the screen go down when I never touched it. Not sure if the ECU helped, but it hasn't done it in awhile.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That happened to me once, it was on hot evening driving home, I was listening to music off the Jukebox when the audio made a loud highpitch sound before silence and the the MMI rebooted to the Audi startup screen and then shut itself down.

Of course it came back on working fine later. But I did notice all my albums on the Jukebox tracks were out of order. I ended up having to delete them from the hard drive and re-rip them.

IMO, Audi's MMI feels like test ware, slightly buggy.

I still can't fathem that Audi Connect does not include a central guidance service like GM OnStar or Hyundai's BlueLink that offers features that can aide you such as, remote starting your car , unlock car doors, etc. etc.

Audi Connect does very little, they even took away the Facebook functionality for reasons not given (seriously there's not a peep from Audi or other users to report that MMI Facebook app has ghosted).
Old 09-04-2015, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally I dont think any car needs facebook functionality. I mean why would it? pay attention to the road.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
personally I dont think any car needs facebook functionality. I mean why would it? pay attention to the road.
Agree
Old 09-13-2015, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
It's not about if the car needs it. It's about the attraction to Audi-Connect.

I don't know if you used it. But I have and it's quite lacking in features.

If the concerns was about people not paying attention to the road I'm sure there wouldn't be a push for CarPlay in next gen MMI models.