Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

D vs. S transmission behavior

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D vs. S transmission behavior

I have an A3 2.0. I am learning the behavior of the car.

I like the behavior of the car when the transmission is in S mode. It holds higher RPMs before shifting. But one thing I do not like is that it chooses a lower gear at steady highway speeds. That doesn't make sense to me. If I am driving at 60 MPH, and switch from D to S mode, it clearly downshifts to 5th instead of 6th. Does that make sense?
Old 02-26-2015, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

S mode is designed to not only hold the gears longer when upshifting, it also maintains the lower gears longer in deceleration and cruising to provide a quicker on-demand response to the accelerator for "sporty" driving. As a result, in most Audis with an auto transmission, the transmission will drop 2 gears when placed in S mode. In my A6 8-speed tiptronic, it will not even upshift to 8th gear when in S mode on the highway.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, S mode is always ready to overtake someone, if you don't want that, change to D when cruising along
Old 02-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Syrome
Yep, S mode is always ready to overtake someone, if you don't want that, change to D when cruising along
Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no "S" mode on the S3. Simply drive and manual. The difference comes between the drive modes (eco, comfort and dynamic)?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zzimbile
Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no "S" mode on the S3. Simply drive and manual. The difference comes between the drive modes (eco, comfort and dynamic)?
There is an S mode on the S3.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chenw87
There is an S mode on the S3.
Good to know. I am normally in manual, but I will have to try this out.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I just go to manual mode and use the paddle shifters. I put it in 6th on the highway and it stays there untill I hit the downshift paddle twice to get to 4th for a quick pass.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Agreed, I find S to be annoying and it is easier just to push the lever over to manual
Old 02-27-2015, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
S mode is designed to not only hold the gears longer when upshifting, it also maintains the lower gears longer in deceleration and cruising to provide a quicker on-demand response to the accelerator for "sporty" driving. As a result, in most Audis with an auto transmission, the transmission will drop 2 gears when placed in S mode. In my A6 8-speed tiptronic, it will not even upshift to 8th gear when in S mode on the highway.
OK - you confirmed what I have seen. "S" does seem to keep the A3 ready to jump. I was just surprised it held 5th for such a long time during steady driving.

And as already pointed out - I can either go to paddles or shift to D if I want 6th for highway driving.

Except for a jumpy throttle at certain low speeds, the DSG with the sport package is outstanding.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default S to manual different from D to manual

Originally Posted by 19hole
I just go to manual mode and use the paddle shifters. I put it in 6th on the highway and it stays there untill I hit the downshift paddle twice to get to 4th for a quick pass.
If you go manual from S it still likes to hold the gear higher. Haven't tried with paddles yet.

Quick Reply: D vs. S transmission behavior