Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Did anyone compare the A3 to the A5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did anyone compare the A3 to the A5?

Hello. Pocket book says to spend no more than $40,000 (total) for the new car. QUESTION: Has anyone driven the A3 and a 2014 or 2015 A5 and can share their experience? Since my wife wil be the main driver the car must have an automtice transmission. (Manual gear box ain't going to happen). I test drove the A3 and could not get a complete assessment of the car as it had 60 miles on the odometer and it was in an urban area. Never drove an A5. New cars are cool. Slightly used A5 is cool to. Please describe your experience if you have driven both models. As you can tell from my budget, neither model will have a ton of options. Thank you. Jim in Michigan.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up purchasing the A3 and love it compared to the A5. The A5 interior was super old looking, the thing was sooo slow and underpowered because the car is so much heavier. The A3 is more of a sporty lighter car, the A5 is more of a touring vehicle. So depending on what you like, but it was actually kind of hard for me to find a lower mileage A5 that was under 40K out the door.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, the $40,000 figure (total) for a slightly used A5 would be hard to find but it was a lot closer to the A3 pricing than other models and still cool looking. Thank you.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not clear whether you're comparing cabriolets, or comparing an A5 coupe with an A3 sedan. For what it's worth, I compared the two cabrios, both quattro models.

I test drove several new 2014 A5 cabriolets back in the summer and fall of 2014, and I liked them a lot. They felt solid and powerful, though I felt that the sport suspension equipped models could be a little more jittery and rattle-prone, with a bit less comfortable ride around town. When I couldn't find quite what I wanted in dealer inventories and began to consider ordering one, I heard about the upcoming A3 cabrio and I knew I had to wait a few more months. It was a no-brainer because I'd be getting the same horsepower and torque in a smaller, lighter package, with newer MMI technology, and for ten grand less! The only things I had to give up were power memory seats with neck warmers, and wood interior trim--oh, and a slightly less curvy shape--there's no denying the A5's lines are a bit sexier.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Peter8V758L
I'm not clear whether you're comparing cabriolets, or comparing an A5 coupe with an A3 sedan. For what it's worth, I compared the two cabrios, both quattro models.

I test drove several new 2014 A5 cabriolets back in the summer and fall of 2014, and I liked them a lot. They felt solid and powerful, though I felt that the sport suspension equipped models could be a little more jittery and rattle-prone, with a bit less comfortable ride around town. When I couldn't find quite what I wanted in dealer inventories and began to consider ordering one, I heard about the upcoming A3 cabrio and I knew I had to wait a few more months. It was a no-brainer because I'd be getting the same horsepower and torque in a smaller, lighter package, with newer MMI technology, and for ten grand less! The only things I had to give up were power memory seats with neck warmers, and wood interior trim--oh, and a slightly less curvy shape--there's no denying the A5's lines are a bit sexier.
I did the same thing, the biggest difference for me was the DCT, coming from 10 years of driving a manual, I found the tiptronic in the a5 to be extrmely disappointing. The S-tronic DSG in the s5 cabrio I tested convinced to wait for the A3 cabrio.

I actually slightly preferred the interior of the S5, I just couldn't justify the price difference. It was almost impossible to find an S5 cabrio with the options I wanted, and even when I could, they hold their value "really" well, so I figured I'd rather have a new car for the same price as a 4 year old car.

I don't regret it, with a tune, my a3 is faster than the S5, and I plan on rarely ever using the rear seats, so the extra couple of inches back there doesn't phase me.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I needed to replace my 2006 A4 S-line. I compared both and went with the A5.

S3/A3 – I started with the S3. As a former A4 B5 owner I liked the size and the idea behind that car. Although some complain about the interior I liked it. I drove 3 of them and they drove great. I was very interested in doing an exclusive color as well (solar orange) despite the $4K cost. I also considered a prestige A3 with a 2.0T S-line. I liked the 19” wheels better on the S-line package. I was bothered a little bit about the Haldex AWD system compared to the traditional Quattro. But what killed the S3/A3 for me was the lack of a manual transmission. I really enjoy driving and wanted a stick for the engagement experience. It was the leading contender but after a while, I realized how much the stick mattered to me and took it off the list. I waited for the 2016 model year announcement and when no stick was made available, I moved on.

And then I saw an A5. They were pricy, even over budget but very nice and all Audi. As I started to look into them I saw one with the sport plus package and wheels which looked great. I love the look of the 19” rotor wheels but what really did it was the interior. The “cockpit” was very driver oriented and a complete departure from the A4. I loved the driving position so I took one for a drive and very much enjoyed the way it felt and handled. That could be the car for me but it was still over budget and I also wanted to find an A5 that was “me” and it needed just a little sportier pizzazz.

I researched and learned of the competition package. Black outs, special interior, and even a unique shifter ****! That would do it so I hit the net and not too far away I found just the right A5. It was loaded with everything I could ask for including sport and sport plus packages, technology, and the all-important, S-line competition package. And, it was the optional Misano Red which I thought looked great. With the other options it stickered at $51,765. Ouch! So, I figured, let me see how bad the dealer wants to move the car. By the time I was done I got almost 10% off with my Audi loyalty discount.

I've had the A5 for 3 weeks now and couldn't be happier. The car gets a tremendous amount of looks and comments from other drivers.
Attached Images   

Last edited by jeff968; 05-07-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got another A5 2.0T Loaner. This one has sport package and is s-line, however the 8 speed auto. Its just gutless compared to the A3. Are you happy with the acceleration with the manual transmission?

If the newer 2.0T came in the A5, I think it would make such a world of difference cuz the torque could compensate for the extra LBS.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mroberte
I just got another A5 2.0T Loaner. This one has sport package and is s-line, however the 8 speed auto. Its just gutless compared to the A3. Are you happy with the acceleration with the manual transmission?
yes I am happy with acceleration, 220hp and 258 torque, it goes well. If you find yourself in CT stop by and I'll let you take it for a drive
Old 06-05-2015, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeap, I compared and a5 is much better