Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-09-2016, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY Instructions for Installing Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Instructions for Installing Springs?

I will be installing H&R Sport Springs this weekend on my car and wanted to know if anyone had instructions or a how to video on installing them on the A3. I have done spring installs on other cars, but I have never worked on an Audi before. Is there another similar VW or Audi that I can look up to see how to install these springs? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by erik83p
I will be installing H&R Sport Springs this weekend on my car and wanted to know if anyone had instructions or a how to video on installing them on the A3. I have done spring installs on other cars, but I have never worked on an Audi before. Is there another similar VW or Audi that I can look up to see how to install these springs? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Should be very similar. I might be doing mine soon as well so if you find anything that's different can you note them?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did see this video as well and figured it should be similar, I was just not sure as it is a hatchback, but I will be following the instructions provided by the video. I will make sure to update this thread after this weekend and let you know if there are any differences that I encounter.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That guys youtube channel was exactly what explained everything for me to install my coilovers. Its pretty straight forward if you have all the available tools. Make sure to get that spreader tool or some big flathead screwdriver/pry bar to open of the front shocks to release.

Also the biggest thing to pay attention to is the top mount and they way its suppose to be installed... the indentation/arrow thing has to point into the engine bay. If not you will most likely get a bunch of squeaking.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mroberte
That guys youtube channel was exactly what explained everything for me to install my coilovers. Its pretty straight forward if you have all the available tools. Make sure to get that spreader tool or some big flathead screwdriver/pry bar to open of the front shocks to release.

Also the biggest thing to pay attention to is the top mount and they way its suppose to be installed... the indentation/arrow thing has to point into the engine bay. If not you will most likely get a bunch of squeaking.
Thank you for the information, it will help a lot when doing my install. I have also heard issues with lifting the car with a jack and jack stands, did you encounter any issues with lifting the car? What would be the best way to put it up on the jack stands? thanks
Old 07-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the information, it will help a lot when doing my install. I have also heard issues with lifting the car with a jack and jack stands, did you encounter any issues with lifting the car? What would be the best way to put it up on the jack stands? thanks
Can you post pics of the the springs? Where did you purchase them from? Any deals?

My A3 came without the sport suspension and it looks like a SUV right now.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I purchase H&R Sport Springs, they give a 1.2 drop on front and rear. I also have an A3 without the sport suspension and the wheel gap is ridiculously high. I found them from an east coast shop called Fidelis Motorsports and got them for $233 with no sales tax and free shipping. I will be receiving the springs today by UPS and I will be installing them tomorrow. Link below of the springs I bought, they were the lowest price I could find out the door and they took exactly 1 week to get here, I placed the order last Thursday from San Diego.

H&R Springs - Sport Springs - Fidelis Motorsports - Quality Performance Car Parts Online
Old 07-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I purchase H&R Sport Springs, they give a 1.2 drop on front and rear. I also have an A3 without the sport suspension and the wheel gap is ridiculously high. I found them from an east coast shop called Fidelis Motorsports and got them for $233 with no sales tax and free shipping. I will be receiving the springs today by UPS and I will be installing them tomorrow. Link below of the springs I bought, they were the lowest price I could find out the door and they took exactly 1 week to get here, I placed the order last Thursday from San Diego.

H&R Springs - Sport Springs - Fidelis Motorsports - Quality Performance Car Parts Online
Did you consider going with coil overs? Does anyone have any issues with camber (had camber issues on my C5 with H&R Sports).

ST Coilovers - Speedtech - Fidelis Motorsports - Quality Performance Car Parts Online

I'm trying to decide if I should going with those or the H&R Springs. Tahoe would be the only place where we would encounter salt/snow but other than that Rust wouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CalSam
Did you consider going with coil overs? Does anyone have any issues with camber (had camber issues on my C5 with H&R Sports).

ST Coilovers - Speedtech - Fidelis Motorsports - Quality Performance Car Parts Online

I'm trying to decide if I should going with those or the H&R Springs. Tahoe would be the only place where we would encounter salt/snow but other than that Rust wouldn't be an issue.
Coilovers are always the best way to go. You will get better ride comfort and you are able to adjust to the height you want.

I decided to go with the H&R Sport Springs for now and decided to get the Sport instead of the Supersport in order to only do a 1.2 drop and not sacrifice too much of the ride comfort. Eventually when the stock shocks go out, which they will go out faster with lower springs, I will then look into a good Coilover set. I was just not looking to spend too much right now on the car as I now have a new car payment and higher insurance payment then I previously had.

As far as the camber issues, you will need to get a proper 4 wheel alignment after the springs have had a chance to settle. The alignment will need to be done with either springs or coilovers installed. The alignment will take care of any camber issues, just make sure to go to a trusted shop and get print outs of how the car rides before and after the alignment.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I installed my springs today and I really like how the car came out. The ride is more stiff, but still comfortable and not bouncy at all. Here are some pics of how the car looks now.

Quick Reply: DIY Instructions for Installing Springs?