Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Don't like DSG transmission...miss my manual 6 A4!

Old 12-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, its a matter of getting used to it. When I first drove my S3 in manual mode the paddles confused the hell out of me, I was making a turn and wasn't sure where the paddles were to shift gears.

I have since gotten used to it. When making a turn from a stop, shift to 2nd by stick and then back to 10 and 2 on the steering wheel and shift as usual.

There is a road I take that has quite a few turns that are one right after another and I would shift between 2nd and 3rd quite frequently. If the paddles were on the column I think my hands would be all over the place trying to change gears as I'm turning.

Everyone drives differently, what works for some, might not for others. Since DSG is becoming the main transmission of choice for the masses, they should create a steering wheel column that allows your paddles to either be locked to column or the steering wheel. Then the choice is yours.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A4DRVR
I'm really disappointed with the transmission in my 2015 A3. I really wish there was an option for a fully manual transmission without getting into an S.
That is why I'm waiting for the manual S3. Audi execs have hinted that it may come to the US. Otherwise, it will be a Golf R 6 speed manual for me. For me, it is the engagement aspect of driving that only a manual transmission offers that makes all the differnce in my driving experience. My cars have always been manuals so we'll see where my $40K ends up next year. My 06 A4 2.0T continues to perform very well and I enjoy my 6 speed manual tranny every day!

Thanks for your post.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EGainer
They will know, they'd just have to reach in awkward ways or use the stick.

My only complaint with the dsg is I have to look at the gear display to know the gear if I'm downshifting from 6 to 3 or so. With a stick I can feel the gear without looking
And the indicator is so tiny! I wish I could have a number take up the entire display. It could even go red indicating shift point.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
I don't need to look to know what gear I'm in. Guess that stems from riding dirt-bikes as a child. Older motorcycles also didn't have a gear indicator. You should be able to feel what gear you are in by speed and revs.
Thats all fine and dandy - but the transmission doesn't do what I ask it to do. And thus I find myself always looking for what gear Im in.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
I think part of it has to do with the differences in cars. With the 8500 rpm readline and 4500 rpm powerband of the RS5 I rarely need to shift mid corner even if radius decreases/increases. Also the dynamic steering rack in my car has a more direct ratio, so for the same amount of turn in, I have to turn the steering wheel less. I don't shuffle steer when doing performance/spirited driving. You have no control if you suddenly need to counter steer unless you have a good grip and both hands on the wheel during cornering. Here's a nice video of a great run around the Nurburgring in a Pagani Zonda R. Notice how he is not moving his hands. I shuffle steer in everyday driving, but then I mostly have the transmission in automatic mode.

EDIT: Also notice how with the column mounted paddles in the Pagani, his hands are not near the paddle or are near the opposite paddles in tight corners. That doesn't happen with the steering wheel mounted paddles.

Pagani Zonda R - Nürburgring Lap Record 6:47 - YouTube
You will also notice he doesn't pull the paddles in a turn - 95% of shifts happen either decelerating into a corner, or accelerating after/out of a corner. Yo yes, wheel mounted would be fine in this case - but it doesn't really justify steering wheel mounted either I don't think.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
That is why I'm waiting for the manual S3. Audi execs have hinted that it may come to the US. Otherwise, it will be a Golf R 6 speed manual for me. For me, it is the engagement aspect of driving that only a manual transmission offers that makes all the differnce in my driving experience. My cars have always been manuals so we'll see where my $40K ends up next year. My 06 A4 2.0T continues to perform very well and I enjoy my 6 speed manual tranny every day!

Thanks for your post.
I would still be enjoying my 08 6 SPD manual A4 too if I hadn't learned about the cam follower issue by having mine fail. After it was fixed I was too paranoid about the shavings floating around in there, so I traded up for a 15 A3. I have to say the A3 has more pull than the A4 did and it's a lot of fun to drive. I just have to get used to a manual automatic I guess.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would still be enjoying my 08 6 SPD manual A4 too if I hadn't learned about the cam follower issue by having mine fail. After it was fixed I was too paranoid about the shavings floating around in there, so I traded up for a 15 A3. I have to say the A3 has more pull than the A4 did and it's a lot of fun to drive. I just have to get used to a manual automatic I guess.
My 06 has been great. It is the best car I have ever purchased. I got it new and other then brakes, tires, and regular maintenance, the car has performed flawlessly. It does burn any oil and is a blast to drive. It now had 117K miles on it. It will go to my daughter next year when I get my new manually-shifted vehicle, whatever that may be.....
Old 12-19-2014, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by bradenalexander
You will also notice he doesn't pull the paddles in a turn - 95% of shifts happen either decelerating into a corner, or accelerating after/out of a corner. Yo yes, wheel mounted would be fine in this case - but it doesn't really justify steering wheel mounted either I don't think.
Yeah, I don't think one is clearly better or worse than the other. What happens around marker 2:50 is interesting, though. He seems to accidentally upshift, because the steering wheel is turned so far that his left hand is over the right paddle and he pulls it resulting in an upshift. I think he meant to downshift there.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm really disappointed with the transmission in my 2015 A3. I really wish there was an option for a fully manual transmission without getting into an S.
I really dislike the dsg also. The rev matched downshifts aren't nearly as satisfying as in other Audis, automatic kickdown happens in Manual mode, Sport holds gears awkwardly compared to other models I've driven in length, you can't tell what gear you're in because the cars so kinda numb/sound deadened (unless you've found a way to enable it thru vagcom which i can't seem to get to work), it'll clunk downshifting into 2nd. It's just generally kinda lifeless, imo. It blows me away sometimes that folks accept the loss of feel.

I would be completely satisfied with the S3 if it just had a manual. I could care less if it's a fraction of a second slower when shifting gears 3 times in a 0-60 sprint.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by ahyeah
I really dislike the dsg also. The rev matched downshifts aren't nearly as satisfying as in other Audis, automatic kickdown happens in Manual mode, Sport holds gears awkwardly compared to other models I've driven in length, you can't tell what gear you're in because the cars so kinda numb/sound deadened (unless you've found a way to enable it thru vagcom which i can't seem to get to work), it'll clunk downshifting into 2nd. It's just generally kinda lifeless, imo. It blows me away sometimes that folks accept the loss of feel.

I would be completely satisfied with the S3 if it just had a manual. I could care less if it's a fraction of a second slower when shifting gears 3 times in a 0-60 sprint.
Quick tip. The kickdown in manual mode is triggered by a physical switch. You should feel a point of resistance before you activate the switch. If you don't want it to kickdown stop pressing on the pedal at that point. The kickdown switch is great IMO. If you find yourself in too high of a gear for max acceleration you can trigger the switch to down shift multiple gears faster than you can with the paddles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Don't like DSG transmission...miss my manual 6 A4!