Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Don't like DSG transmission...miss my manual 6 A4!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Well at least Audi is not putting CVTs in the cars anymore
Old 12-20-2014, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Quick tip. The kickdown in manual mode is triggered by a physical switch. You should feel a point of resistance before you activate the switch. If you don't want it to kickdown stop pressing on the pedal at that point. The kickdown switch is great IMO. If you find yourself in too high of a gear for max acceleration you can trigger the switch to down shift multiple gears faster than you can with the paddles.
That's the only function of the switch, correct? The switch on mine seems unusually stiff/awkward (by design, I'm sure). I'll have to pay more attention, kickdown seems to happen without pressing the pedal past that point (I'm sure it doesn't) but, when I'm testing/playing with the switch, I haven't caught it activating a downshift. The car is the perfect size/weight/drivetrain for a manual. Automatic shifting on small, moderately powered cars just doesn't seem right. The car's so civilized (even in Dynamic with mag an 19s, imo), it needs the manual shifting to extract some feel.

Last edited by ahyeah; 12-20-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by ahyeah
That's the only function of the switch, correct? The switch on mine seems unusually stiff/awkward (by design, I'm sure). I'll have to pay more attention, kickdown seems to happen without pressing the pedal past that point (I'm sure it doesn't) but, when I'm testing/playing with the switch, I haven't caught it activating a downshift. The car is the perfect size/weight/drivetrain for a manual. Automatic shifting on small, moderately powered cars just doesn't seem right. The car's so civilized (even in Dynamic with mag an 19s, imo), it needs the manual shifting to extract some feel.
Yes, that's the only function and only in manual mode. In D and S, kickdown happens w/o activating the switch. It is stiff and awkward by design, so that it is not easy to accidentally hit it. At least in my car I have to make a conscious effort. You do have to be in an unfavorable gear for it to actually down shift. Try puttering around in 4th or 5th with low revs and then give it the beans, w/o hitting the switch it should go WOT in the current gear, w/ hitting the switch it should shift down accordingly.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A4DRVR
I don't like the shifts points. D doesn't hold the gears long enough or is jumpy if you stomp on it and S holds the gears right up to redline. I would like something in between.
This is my exact experience, when I attempted manual mode this past weekend.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
No it's not. If you are in S and bump over to manual, the transmission and engine is in dynamic mode and it executes the shifts faster with more aggressive clutch engagements. If you are in D and then bump over the shifts and clutch engagements are more comfortable. The difference is not that noticeable in the A3, but if you step up to an RS5 for example it's very obvious. I'm sure it's more noticeable in the S3 as well.
I really need to pilfer through my A3 manual.

Cause I don't know what the heck is "S".

You're using "D" short for Dynamic mode right? Is "S" Sport? That's not an option on my Drive Select, or is that the manual mode where you put the car gear in Drive and move it to the right so it's on (+/-) ???
Old 04-20-2015, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gamegenie
I really need to pilfer through my A3 manual.

Cause I don't know what the heck is "S".

You're using "D" short for Dynamic mode right? Is "S" Sport? That's not an option on my Drive Select, or is that the manual mode where you put the car gear in Drive and move it to the right so it's on (+/-) ???
Are for real?
Old 04-20-2015, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Squalo
Are for real?
Well I read my car manual, so now I know.

D/S

D = Normal Drive Mode , S = Sport mode,

S is only activated if you press down further from the D/S position, or use Drive Select and put the car in Dynamic.

Move the gear shift to the right on D/S and you unlock Tiptronic mode.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A4DRVR
I don't like the shifts points. D doesn't hold the gears long enough or is jumpy if you stomp on it and S holds the gears right up to redline. I would like something in between.
With 7500 miles now on the car I still am not very satisfied with the transmission in automatic mode "D" or "S". I still think they are both on polar opposites with D being a major ***** and then over reacting when you put the pedal down and in "S" i feel like i should be drag racing off of every stop.

I have however come to enjoy the manual shift mode with the DSG. I took a while going from a true pedal shift manual to the DSG manual to get used to it. It has definately made the car more enjoyable to drive.

My dealer keeps telling me at 10,000 miles the the automatic shifts are going to magically be better but I'm pretty sure it's a bunch of BS. Anyway, the car is great looking, super comfortable, and I am pretty happy with it. I do still miss my 08' A4 a little.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
That is why I'm waiting for the manual S3. Audi execs have hinted that it may come to the US. Otherwise, it will be a Golf R 6 speed manual for me. For me, it is the engagement aspect of driving that only a manual transmission offers that makes all the differnce in my driving experience. My cars have always been manuals so we'll see where my $40K ends up next year. My 06 A4 2.0T continues to perform very well and I enjoy my 6 speed manual tranny every day!

Thanks for your post.
Sadly, unless you're buying used or live in Europe the 15 Golf R only comes with a DSG transmission and 4 freaking doors!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Climberdave
Sadly, unless you're buying used or live in Europe the 15 Golf R only comes with a DSG transmission and 4 freaking doors!
Not for long. The 2-door and manual R will be available this fall. As soon as 2016 ordering opens up for VW (end of May normally), it will be available for order.