Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

:: ECS Tuning :: 8V S3 APR Turbo Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default :: ECS Tuning :: 8V S3 APR Turbo Muffler Delete

APR has developed a simple method of bypassing your restrictive factory turbo muffler with a single billet aluminum piece.

The Turbo Muffler Delete eliminates the vented OEM muffler tube, allowing air to pass uninterrupted through the compressor outlet. This dramatic increase in air flow allows the turbo to operate more efficiently while enhancing the sound characteristics of your engine.

Now available for the Audi 8V S3, this latest APR release is a simple, highly effective upgrade for your Audi.

Hit Delete...

Click HERE to order or for more information

Fits:
Audi 8V S3 (2015)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason
Old 04-24-2015, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what purpose would Audi have vented the OEM pipe not made a solid section as the APR? Understand the airflow would be better with the APR but trying to find out a real advantage to changing the parts. Also not sure how difficult it is to swap out. Location dependent of course.

Am really digging my ECS wheel spacers however!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
For what purpose would Audi have vented the OEM pipe not made a solid section as the APR? Understand the airflow would be better with the APR but trying to find out a real advantage to changing the parts. Also not sure how difficult it is to swap out. Location dependent of course.

Am really digging my ECS wheel spacers however!
The turbo muffler on the compressor cover outlet is just that. A muffler. It keeps the turbo spooling sound to a minimum by redirecting some of the air flow. Not everyone appreciates the spooling sound of a turbocharger. And for those that are unfamiliar with a turbocharged vehicle the noise may strike them as an issue with the vehicle.

The APR unit simply blocks the redirection ports which gives the compressed air a straight path right into the intake ducting. This does two things. 1) Increases spool up response as the air has a shorter freer-flowing path into the intake. 2) Allows the turbo to be more audible.

I hope this helps! Glad to hear you're enjoying your spacers!

Jason
Old 04-24-2015, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I wonder if a little work w/ a TIG welder will yield the same results.... Or did APR make a larger ID?
Old 04-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by easymacgyver
Hmm, I wonder if a little work w/ a TIG welder will yield the same results.... Or did APR make a larger ID?
I believe the ID is still remains the same.

Jason
Old 04-27-2015, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi
The turbo muffler on the compressor cover outlet is just that. A muffler. It keeps the turbo spooling sound to a minimum by redirecting some of the air flow. Not everyone appreciates the spooling sound of a turbocharger. And for those that are unfamiliar with a turbocharged vehicle the noise may strike them as an issue with the vehicle.

The APR unit simply blocks the redirection ports which gives the compressed air a straight path right into the intake ducting. This does two things. 1) Increases spool up response as the air has a shorter freer-flowing path into the intake. 2) Allows the turbo to be more audible.

I hope this helps! Glad to hear you're enjoying your spacers!

Jason
Thanks for the most excellent description Jason! Makes perfect sense. Getting to hear my turbo a bit more certainly would not be a problem. Assume APR unit would theoretically make the engine more efficient overall.

Need to get under the hood to see how easy it would be to access and replace this piece however. Looks straightforward.

Last edited by Fixeroh; 04-27-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Thanks for the most excellent description Jason! Makes perfect sense. Getting to hear my turbo a bit more certainly would not be a problem. Assume APR unit would theoretically make the engine more efficient overall.

Need to get under the hood to see how easy it would be to access and replace this piece however. Looks straightforward.
Glad I could help! Installation is very straight forward. Although you are constricted a bit due to the turbocharger being mounted on the backside of the engine near the fire wall, but once you locate the compressor cover exit it's very simple. Begin with loosening the outlet hose clamp, then remove the hose from the compressor cover, next remove the 3 OEM muffler/baffle screws. Once you've done this you'll slide out the OEM muffler/baffle. Now you can install the APR piece. Then just reverse the removal to get everything reassembled!

Jason

Last edited by ECS Tuning-Audi; 04-27-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, but there is probably a difference in depth. It looks like the APR part is actually 2 pieces, with one that threads in to remove any gap between it and the turbo outlet - closing off the muffler volume completely. I was curious how they would manage that tolerance stackup. With the 2 piece set up, you don't have to manage it....
Old 04-27-2015, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi
Glad I could help! Installation is very straight forward. Although you are constricted a bit due to the turbocharger being mounted on the backside of the engine near the fire wall, but once you locate the compressor cover exit it's very simple. Begin with loosening the outlet hose clamp, then remove the hose from the compressor cover, next remove the 3 OEM muffler/baffle screws. Once you've done this you'll slide out the OEM muffler/baffle. Now you can install the APR piece. Then just reverse the removal to get everything reassembled!

Jason
Took a look earlier this afternoon and your instructions match approximately what I thought would occur. Going to read into this a bit further but it definitely looks like something I can handle. Thanks again for all the information!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

No problem!

Jason