Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

ECS Wheel Spacer kits seem very expensive. Worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECS Wheel Spacer kits seem very expensive. Worth it??

I'd like to get wheel spacers for the OEM 19" wheels on my 2015 S3 - I have looked at the ones from ECS tuning here and I have also looked at other kits advertised on eBay (e.g., http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PC-17-MM-20-MM-STAGGERED-AUDI-VW-5X100-5X112-57-1-HUB-CENTRIC-WHEEL-SPACERS-/252018900318?fits=Make%3AAudi one). The eBay kits average about $120 for a set of 4 staggered spacers and bolts, while the ECS tuning kit is $199. I'd prefer to go with the ECS tuning kit but I'm finding it hard to justify the price difference.

1. does anyone know how the ECS kit compares with the other kits in terms of quality/durability?
2. does anyone have any experiences they can share (good or bad) with non-ECS kits?
3. does ECS ever run sales on these kits or offer coupons etc?

Thanks all.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the ECS kit. Love it. Perfect fit, no vibration or any issues - which can sometimes be a problem with cheaper brands
I think I paid more than $199, still worth it. Makes the S3 look much better
Old 10-01-2015, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the ECSTuning kit, very satisfied and have nothing to compare. While the ECS bolts are not OEM, I have more confidence in quality than with an unknown on eBay. We are talking about what holds your wheels on.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I have the ECSTuning kit, very satisfied and have nothing to compare. While the ECS bolts are not OEM, I have more confidence in quality than with an unknown on eBay. We are talking about what holds your wheels on.
Agree - that's why I'd prefer to go with the ECS kit if possible :-)
Old 10-01-2015, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by whitby
I have the ECS kit. Love it. Perfect fit, no vibration or any issues - which can sometimes be a problem with cheaper brands
I think I paid more than $199, still worth it. Makes the S3 look much better
I'm definitely sold on the look. Based on your feedback it sounds like vibration is a potential issue to be concerned about, and I guess the tough thing about that is you don't know if another spacer will have the issue until you buy it and install it.

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Our wheels are hub centric. So your spacers have to be very precise back and front - to fit the hub correctly and provide the right hub centric fit for the wheel. The less precise they are the more likely you are to get vibration. Spacers do come with 'cone' bolts which, in theory, center the wheel when you tighten them, but this is not how the car was designed and you can get sheer loads that bend the bolts if the wheel is not snug on the hub - which means vibration.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

love them!!
Old 10-02-2015, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by whitby
Our wheels are hub centric. So your spacers have to be very precise back and front - to fit the hub correctly and provide the right hub centric fit for the wheel. The less precise they are the more likely you are to get vibration. Spacers do come with 'cone' bolts which, in theory, center the wheel when you tighten them, but this is not how the car was designed and you can get sheer loads that bend the bolts if the wheel is not snug on the hub - which means vibration.
Great description whitby - it really drives home the need for the spacers to be precisely engineered and manufactured. Since there is no way to know who manufactures the lower cost spacers on eBay (and therefore no way to evaluate their reputation/quality) it sounds like I should avoid them.

I've noticed that H&R seems to be well regarded on the forum and a quick check of their prices shows that they are comparable to ECS, but they don't seem to have kits already pre-configured for the S3's wheel type and offset (as opposed to ECS).

I definitely don't want to be 'penny wise and pound foolish' on this purchase, but I also don't want to spend more than I need to especially since I'll also have to invest in a wheel lock alternative for the stock wheel locks I have now. Which lock solution do you use with your spacers?

Thx!
Old 10-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We offer a higher quality product which is machined with precision for your exact model Audi and with full support in the event any issues ever arise.

Jason
Old 10-03-2015, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ByteBiz
Great description whitby - it really drives home the need for the spacers to be precisely engineered and manufactured. Since there is no way to know who manufactures the lower cost spacers on eBay (and therefore no way to evaluate their reputation/quality) it sounds like I should avoid them.

I've noticed that H&R seems to be well regarded on the forum and a quick check of their prices shows that they are comparable to ECS, but they don't seem to have kits already pre-configured for the S3's wheel type and offset (as opposed to ECS).

I definitely don't want to be 'penny wise and pound foolish' on this purchase, but I also don't want to spend more than I need to especially since I'll also have to invest in a wheel lock alternative for the stock wheel locks I have now. Which lock solution do you use with your spacers?

Thx!
I may have a set for sale shortly if you are interested

Quick Reply: ECS Wheel Spacer kits seem very expensive. Worth it??