Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Finally received my S3 Mirror covers - Video Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally received my S3 Mirror covers - Video Install

Hi all,

I just installed S3 aluminium mirror covers on my 2016 A3 S-Line Cabrio... Unfortunately I was not able to get the S3 Cabrio in Canada So I have to settle with changing the mirrors... Here is a video of the install... It's a little long so fast forward through the boring stuff.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is that all you need to do to get Side Assist? I didn't get mine with Side Assist, but if all I have to do is order new side mirrors and all the side assist stuff works that's a great option.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Great video. Have 2015 A3 premium plus Cabrio. My 1st priority is to get the passenger mirror to dip when going into reverse. Have tried all the usual procedures to activate--but no go. I have had several German cars w/this feature so I am familiar w/it.
Is this another of the Audi features that is embedded in the car but not activated or just not possible? Can it be done? If so how? 1 minor victory. Now have Voice Activation operational. Also added Homelink & soon Backup Camera.
Little by little--piece by piece. Didn't realize that I was getting into a do-it-yourself project. Had no other choices as it was a CPO car.

Last edited by greasykid; 05-18-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How did you get voice activation to work? How did you get Homelink?
Old 05-19-2016, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Homelink & Voice Activation

Originally Posted by CarL.
How did you get voice activation to work? How did you get Homelink?
Homelink--Low Tech solution. Had a garage door opener in the kitchen drawer. Took the metal clip off. Went to Wal-Mart & bought Velcro. Mounted opener in the left forward area of center consol. Out of the way,but handy. Total cost $3.

Voice Activation--High Tech. Researched this forum. See my & other comments in previous posts there. My dealer did the rest. It is all up to the dealer as I have no additional info other than what has been posted already.

Last edited by greasykid; 05-19-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's so funny! I thought you actually retrofitted the real homelink... oh well... I also had a mini key chain remote that I 3M'd under the climate control at the back left of the lighter... You can't see it. However, overtime I want to open the garage I am automatically reaching up as my old Audi had it near the map lights.... Doesn't the S3 come with homelink?
Old 05-19-2016, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Cellphone mic amazing for a drop top!!!!

So I got my new 2016 Cabrio a few weeks ago and I was concerned about the handsfree calling will driving with the top down... So I am glad to say that they improved the mic over my 2013 S5 cabrio. Driving on the highway the caller hears you perfectly... it has noise cancelling technology! I'm so happy...
Old 05-19-2016, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by CarL.
That's so funny! I thought you actually retrofitted the real homelink... oh well... I also had a mini key chain remote that I 3M'd under the climate control at the back left of the lighter... You can't see it. However, overtime I want to open the garage I am automatically reaching up as my old Audi had it near the map lights.... Doesn't the S3 come with homelink?
At least in the US, it's a port installed option. It does require cutting a hole in the headliner though.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Side Assist Update

Originally Posted by HockeyCrazi
Is that all you need to do to get Side Assist? I didn't get mine with Side Assist, but if all I have to do is order new side mirrors and all the side assist stuff works that's a great option.
I miss side assist or blind spot assist. I assume that that this is 2 diff names for the same thing. I would appreciate more info.
1 Can this be done on my 2015 A3 Cab?
2 Can this be done w/both types of outside mirrors? Folding or nonfolding?
3 Cost for mirrors
4 " " installation
5 What is necessary to activate Blind Spot .coding etc?
6 Is it worth it?

Have had this feature on several previous cars. Would be a great help on a convertible.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by greasykid
I miss side assist or blind spot assist. I assume that that this is 2 diff names for the same thing. I would appreciate more info.
1 Can this be done on my 2015 A3 Cab?
2 Can this be done w/both types of outside mirrors? Folding or nonfolding?
3 Cost for mirrors
4 " " installation
5 What is necessary to activate Blind Spot .coding etc?
6 Is it worth it?

Have had this feature on several previous cars. Would be a great help on a convertible.
My car came already with side assist. So I ordered the s3 mirrors with side assist. If you don't have side assist then you must order mirrors without side assist. Available on eBay for under $300 for both. I don't think you can retrofit it because it requires sensors to sence if there is a car in your blind spot. As far as installation goes. It was easy but I did break an inner clip. It doesn't affect anything but would have been better if I didn't break it. See my video for installation. I hope this helps

Quick Reply: Finally received my S3 Mirror covers - Video Install