Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

First 5000 miles in my S3 (Daytona)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First 5000 miles in my S3 (Daytona)

Highs:

- Power: The loads of power has become GOBS post break-in. Yes, the initial lag from 0-1500 rpm is annoying at first, but my brain has adjusted and 0-60, particularly under launch control, is much closer to 4 secs than 5. I would like a little more refined throttle map and maybe 5-10% more responsiveness, so I think APR is in my future. I don't always use the boost, but when I do… (Couldn't resist) It's nice having the boost incase of any super cars (or not so super) that come to my bumper.
- Mag suspension is addictive. At first I was constantly changing the settings, then eventually created the 'Individual" setting to be perfect for my driving
- Ride: it's definite stiff (20% > the A3 I drove, 30% > the A4 non-sport my friend has) in any setting, but I am deeply smitten with the ride, road noise (not perfect but) is surprisingly mild (and my comparo on this is our Q7 which says something). Especially with 19" wheels with 50 PSI, it's shockingly quiet on most surfaces.
- Handling: The front end does ANYTHING you throw at it, however, the back-end needs better roll control it's most pronounced in hard driving as the car transitions
- Interior: Sharing with my our A3 brethren, the interior constantly distracts me, like having a supermodel in the passenger seat, sometimes I catch myself not looking at the road and taking-in the interior instead.
- HVAC: To my GREAT joy, the temps run a little colder than most cars I've been in. I'm always hot, so I'm happy about this. My wife usually sets her side to about 72, where 68 is perfect for me. Living in SF really doesn't allow enough extremes to see how well the AC and Heat work in crazy conditions, but I suspect the AC is amazing and the heat is a little insufficient in the time it takes to warm up if you are in cold climates.
- Engine: this is mostly covered under the Power topic, but love the sound (whether it's enhanced or not) love the sound around 4000 rpm, the idle engine sound sounds like my old 2.0 A3 from 2008, nothing to write home about, but once it gets running… wow.
- Stock Stereo: Holy *%&$, it's amazing… I regretted getting the Daytona because of the lack of B&O, but playing my favorite loud music (U2, Talking Heads and Moby) shakes the whole neighborhood when I crank it… I can feel the music in my chest, best stereo I've ever had in a car.
- Tires are amazing in the RAIN, hardly any hydroplaning on sitting water on the freeway (probably due to the Quattro too).
- LOOK: Best looking small car on the road, hands-down (IMO). Again, the supermodel analogy comes to mind.

Lows:
- NO CONVENIENCE PACKAGE!!!! WTF was AOA thinking???? I rarely feel the urge to be violent, but I really want to water-board the person who made this decision. Seriously, I have to flip my mirror manually?? My choices are 'Blinding Bright' to 'Nuclear Winter Dark'. At night it's impossible to distinguish law enforcement vehicles from others.
- Gas mileage still baffles me. I have never broken 26 mpg ever, even all highway trips, in comfort mode sticking around 70. Doing the math, my first few tanks of gas were around 18 MPG with mixed driving, 7 miles city, 11 miles highway on my commute. I am finally seeing a 21.5 average on my last tank. I'll update after my 5000k oil change.
- Seats are HARD, all of them. I don't mind it but would welcome a 10-15% increase in cushioning. I still HATE the two tone red seats, the red is constantly dirty.
- Price: this car is just NOT a good value. I know I'm paying for speed and handling, but 50k is a lot of money for a small car with a 2.0 4cyl. My age and 'merican-ness might be showing saying this, but my first two cars were 350 CU V8s, and my favorite car, to-date, was my 2.8 A4 (now replaced by this one of course).
- MMI: yes, it's improved from the previous generation, but it's still 1999-2005 tech when considering the features, UI (User Interface), and reliability. Voice recognition get's it right 60% of the time (compared to Siri's 95%) and the fact that I can't access the voice control on my phone when Bluetooth connected is ridiculous. It's so bad that I often don't connect my phone or use my MMI for anything other than music. I would have rather have not paid the 3k for this feature, it's a major value problem. My only hope is that I can upgrade it to CarPlay next year. If you have a choice, DO NOT get the upgraded MMI and Velcro© an iPad© for your screen. What you get for $500 on iPad is 20 years ahead of MMI for $3000.
Traffic Serice: It's RARELY correct, I have it turned off and just use my phone… more wasted money on the MMI.
- LED headlights are VERY COOL, but wish they were behind projector lenses, the dispersion is, well, weird and unfocused.

Notes:
Data Usage is hard to tell: Website (myaudiconnect) states that I've used .69 GB in 4 months. The car usage meter says 425 MBs. Assuming .69 or 1 GB per 6 months seems decent given that I use Google Map overlay all the time BUT, I rarely connect other devices for internet data use. I also rarely use the google feature in the car because if usually gets my requests wrong and is REALLLY slow to produce results of any map search.

Would I buy this car again. DEFINITELY, but…

- No Nav/MMI
- Black Seats Only (and I like the none-euro seats with the adjustable headrest, but wouldn't mind the white stitching, love that.
- 18inch wheels with all seasons
- CONVENIENCE PACKAGE PLEASE! (Did I mention AOA are idiots for not allowing this or at least lowering the sticker price). ARRRG.
- I'll be chipping, not for more power, but for a better throttle map and (fingers crossed) better MPGs.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fascinating!!! Thanks arU4ic!
hmm.. myself I had Daytona edition and I really liked the looks. I red seats looked fantastic but I never knew that they would be getting dirty..

Yes the "stock music system" is brilliant! now I have B&O, but unless I really increase the volume I don't realize they are B&O! Stock is so good!

"Individual setting": blessing!

Gas milage: Yes I agree, on Highway I got around 25 & in city 21 (comfort mode).

Tires: I still have my doubts on them! yesterday I drove in torrential rain and felt car aquaplaned few time, was driving 80+, I know I'm stupid like that

Seats: I prefer the BMW sports seats to these! They hardly support me! Which makes me to believe that when sports seats are an option on AUDI every one should go for them!

Convenience package: I too can't believe AOA didn't include it in Daytona package! Now on my sepang blue I have it and I can see why they are necessary! I would be pissed as pissed as you without them!

having just done combined 2000 miles on 2 different S3's I still need to get over this stupid break in driving but i do drive it upto 6k rpm when the car is warmed up!

Value for money: Yes absolutely! compared to what BMW m235i and Mercedes CLA45 AMG have to offer!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

^^^^ I tried swapping S3s, the deal was terrible (probably because of demand). Back in Sept. I was talked into the Daytona, it arrived 3 months before the one I ordered… it was hard to resist. But getting out of the Daytona into the one I ordered would have been ridiculous, could have gotten an RS model with all the $$$ involved. Nice work on the swap, impressive.

21 in the city is AMAZING, I get around 10-14 at best.

+1 on the dimmer seats, they have always nailed seating IMO.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Spot on! I agree with everything with the exception of the red seats (which I like - although I didn't think I would until I saw them in person) and the gas mileage (I'm getting ~25-26mpg mixed driving now that they switched to the winter blend).
Old 12-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
^^^^ I tried swapping S3s, the deal was terrible (probably because of demand). Back in Sept. I was talked into the Daytona, it arrived 3 months before the one I ordered… it was hard to resist. But getting out of the Daytona into the one I ordered would have been ridiculous, could have gotten an RS model with all the $$$ involved. Nice work on the swap, impressive.

21 in the city is AMAZING, I get around 10-14 at best.

+1 on the dimmer seats, they have always nailed seating IMO.
No no no... I did not swap my daytona.. I totalled it in order to get the Sepang Prestige :P
Old 12-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree that the MMI "technology" is pretty embarrassing. I skipped the $2,600 nav option and am very happy I did. I put a $130 Pioneer head unto my girlfriend's Cobalt and she has far better phone integration (Apple CarPlay) which handles music/nav/phone and automatically lets you switch between bluetooth when you don't want to take your phone out or plugged in when you're doing a long trip/need to use Maps. And the whole Audi proprietary connector instead of USB is sooooooo 2009.

But yeah the car rocks. My phone integration below (don't worry, I've since painted the white wire black):

Old 12-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If MMI is embarrassing what do you guys think of the ones in Mercedes and BMW..?? MMI probably is the best in MHO
Old 12-24-2014, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Sthree21
No no no... I did not swap my daytona.. I totalled it in order to get the Sepang Prestige :P
GENIUS!!
Old 12-24-2014, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Sthree21
If MMI is embarrassing what do you guys think of the ones in Mercedes and BMW..?? MMI probably is the best in MHO
I have not tried the 'benz version, but did try the BMW, same difference.

Clearly, these guys are only good at making cars that kick ***, not integrated technology. They need to outsource this stuff to experts (Apple/Google and, meh, even Microsoft).
Old 12-25-2014, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great write up, thanks for sharing.

I don't have my S3 yet (arrives this weekend at the dealer), but have a 3.0T Q5 currently and other Audis prior, and I'd say your observations are in line with what I would have expected.

The depreciation numbers on S3 & A3 are staggering currently (in a good way, i.e. hardly any), so I'm planning to sit on this one for a year or two and then trade for what I expect will be a more refined, improved variant as Audi moves out of the first iteration and enhances the standard options.

Quick Reply: First 5000 miles in my S3 (Daytona)