Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Getting/Sending text messages with iPhone and MMI

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting/Sending text messages with iPhone and MMI

Hi Everyone,

Longtime lurker, first time poster here! I took delivery of a fully loaded 2015 S3 a week ago and love (almost) everything about the car.

I am having a problem with getting/receiving text messages. I have my iPhone6 (latest OS) hooked up via bluetooth or MMI to lightning cable. Under the "messages" option of the telephone, the ability to send messages is grayed out, and I am unable to read or receive any incoming text messages. I have turned on the "send notifications" options under the bluetooth options on the iPhone. Not sure what else I can do here... has anyone had success getting texts through the MMI system with an iPhone?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2015, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nah, ain't possible unfortunately. iPhone integration in the S3 is pretty poor via Bluetooth and even the wired connection. I have a ProClip dash mount for my iPhone so I can interact directly with it in the car.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 2015 A3 Prestige, I can receive messages in the MMI with no issue over Bluetooth (but can't send from the MMI - safety issue).

On the iPhone6, go the Settings, Bluetooth.

In "My Devices", select the "i" next to the Audi Bluetooth connection you already set up.

Ensure "Show Notifications" is turned on, otherwise messages won't show up in the MMI.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
Stephen Gould (10-15-2021)
Old 01-18-2015, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Mike... I meant to say "show notifications", not "send." When I checked that option, MESSAGES was no longer grayed out but I still wasn't receiving any messages. I'll try again later. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2015, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

You also have to go into your Bluetooth device list in your MMI and connect Messages.

And if you wonder what that random "ding" sound is, it's a new text message.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Syrome
You also have to go into your Bluetooth device list in your MMI and connect Messages.

And if you wonder what that random "ding" sound is, it's a new text message.
Thank you for that tidbit! I had turned on Show Notification on my phone, but still wasn't getting any notifications. Hopefully this will do the trick for me.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You may have to disconnect and reconnect your phone again. That should fix it, as long as the show notification is enabled
Old 01-19-2015, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for everyone's help... I've finally figured it out. I was sitting on my driveway having my wife send me messages trying to figure out why my car wasn't accepting texts. Turns out, if you are on your phone reading your texts on the phone as they arrive, the car will not recognize it as a "new" text and it won't show up on the MMI. Put the phone away and the texts come in just like they should with that satisfying *ding*. Cheers!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by slo_s3
You may have to disconnect and reconnect your phone again. That should fix it, as long as the show notification is enabled
Syrome's suggestion was exactly the pieces I was missing - I didn't need to re-pair. Thanks for pointing out that I might need to though.

recap:
iPhone text messages via MMI
Pair phone
on iPhone. Be sure that "Show Notifications" is enabled in the Bluetooth settings
on MMI. Be sure to "Connect Messages" for the iPhone.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mej16489
Syrome's suggestion was exactly the pieces I was missing - I didn't need to re-pair. Thanks for pointing out that I might need to though.

recap:
iPhone text messages via MMI
Pair phone
on iPhone. Be sure that "Show Notifications" is enabled in the Bluetooth settings
on MMI. Be sure to "Connect Messages" for the iPhone.
I just joined this forum and am having a very similar issue...I do get my text messages, but CANNOT SEND MSSGS OR RESPOND. the Send option is grayed out. I have an iPhone 5s. I'm very frustrated because Siri doesn't work either when my iPhone is connected to MMI via Bluetooth. These two issues force me to text while driving on occasion when I have to respond. I am in my car two hours a day back and forth to and from work and there are times when I must respond to a text. I'm very disappointed. I thought Audi and Apple were more in sync with each other than that. My friend has a Samsung Galaxy S5 and we linked it to my car and text messages can be received and sent on it. Does any one know if there's a trick to making the Send feature work on iPhone????

Quick Reply: Getting/Sending text messages with iPhone and MMI