Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 11:02 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Headlight Issue 2015 A3

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Issue 2015 A3

I have a 2015 A3 Premium Plus and I often drive when it is dark outside, either in the evening or in the morning before sunrise. I have noticed that there is a definite drop-off in my low beam head lights so there appears a dark area about 10 feet in front and to the left of the driver side. It's almost like the right beam is crossing the left. My dealer tells me that the lights are proper according to their alignment tool. Does anyone have this same issue? I have never had a car where i thought the low beam lights were so dangerous. (The brights work fine.)
Any advice?
Old 10-05-2014, 03:30 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichardinVA
I have a 2015 A3 Premium Plus and I often drive when it is dark outside, either in the evening or in the morning before sunrise. I have noticed that there is a definite drop-off in my low beam head lights so there appears a dark area about 10 feet in front and to the left of the driver side. It's almost like the right beam is crossing the left. My dealer tells me that the lights are proper according to their alignment tool. Does anyone have this same issue? I have never had a car where i thought the low beam lights were so dangerous. (The brights work fine.)
Any advice?
First off, the asymmetric beam patterns is something that corresponds with European codes, it gives the ability to cast more light on the curb side of the road while not casting light into oncoming traffic's eyes.

Second, you're right in that they seem too low. Several other have noticed this problem, and I think it has to do with them being set far too low for the low-speed adaptive headlight setting. In any case, I took mine to the dealership the first week after purchase and explained, and they adjusted it for me. I requested a 1 inch lift to the overall beam pattern at a casting distance of 10 feet, and they did that and it works beautifully now.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow... Audi is still aiming the headlight beams too low? This was an issue with my 1998 1.8t. Solved by readjustment. The beam was angled so far downward, that only 15 feet of the road in front of the car would get illuminated. It was dangerous.

Last edited by Spoonie G; 10-06-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

How are headlights adjusted on Audi A3? Is it a mechanical adjustment or is it done via VAG-COM?

What about adjusting LED headlights of the S3?

Anyone know?
Old 10-06-2014, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, all my Audis back to 2000 had low aim, they should hire the damn guy from Ford, THAT guy gets it right in my eyes every time.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone adjusted the xenon headlights? I find VAG-COM doesn't work.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

VAG-COM does work. The A3 procedure is similar to A4 and A6 LED headlamps
Old 11-21-2015, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RichardinVA
Any advice?
My in laws have the same problem. The dealer gave them the European safety model reason also. However, what is strange is that: One, coming from the EU, I have not noticed this there. Two, more peculiar, this issue is only on the A3. Other Audi models don't have these "European Safety Features" I would speculate that this is a design flaw, not a feature and is a potential call back issue in the future
Old 11-22-2015, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had this issue as well when I first picked mine up. With the H&R springs, it got a bit worse, and just had the shop adjust them further ahead.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had this problem for months and there's no fix for this because Audi gave us Non-prestige owners the basic stationary Xenon Plus light.

The better alternative would have been Adaptive Xenon Plus lights that would have given us more road visibility with the cornering bulb embedded.

I contend with this each morning when it's dark outside and I'm making turns through the parking light and can barely see the bending curb but pure blackness as the regular Xenon Plus lights project straight ahead instead of providing any type of side illumination.

If you have a Prestige A3/S3, you won't have this issue because LED headlights are already adaptive.

If you are Canadian with the Xenon Plus, you at least have fog lights to somewhat help out in providing more light.

Quick Reply: Headlight Issue 2015 A3