Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

hesitation normal for audi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitation normal for audi?

Hello,

Im new to Audi brand. I just purchased a brand new 2015 Audi 2.0 Cab and love it to death...my only question is, is it normal for a slight hesitation when stepping on the gas, then sudden acceleration?
Old 05-28-2016, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ease into the throttle and it will not be as noticeable. Some call it "turbo-lag" and it is inherent in the four cylinder turbo charged drivetrains. You'll get used to it.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

You feel it because the transmission up shifts so quickly you are out of the power band and the turbo doesn't spool instantly so you have to wait for that. Put it in Sport and it will mostly be gone as the RPMs won't drop below 2k.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Both you and the transmission will adapt during your next 1000 miles so you won't have perceived turbo lag. Best of luck with your new cab.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
You feel it because the transmission up shifts so quickly you are out of the power band and the turbo doesn't spool instantly so you have to wait for that. Put it in Sport and it will mostly be gone as the RPMs won't drop below 2k.
This...

On normal drive, the turbo lag is pretty awful. It also upshift too fast to save fuel. It's pretty annoying that I have to reset the ECU very often.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Resetting ECU

Originally Posted by shansoft
This...

On normal drive, the turbo lag is pretty awful. It also upshift too fast to save fuel. It's pretty annoying that I have to reset the ECU very often.
How are you resetting ECU? Previously had many Mercedes & often reset the Adaptive Transmission for better acceleration response.(It gets lazy around town). Is this what you are referring to? Have had many turbo engine cars. Guess I just adapted to them.

What is the procedure to do the reset?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Both you and the transmission will adapt during your next 1000 miles so you won't have perceived turbo lag. Best of luck with your new cab.
I can't second this enough, 10 Audis and all of them did this for a while, then one day you'll realize it's gone.

My Bimmer-friends say the same thing about their cars too.

A few more tips:

- Turn-off traction control when you know you won't need it
- If this is your first 4 cylinder car, it will be more pronounced
- Put the trans in Sport - I leave both Audis in sport during city driving - might use more gas but its more fun to drive and save the brake pads a bit in deceleration.
- Don't let a lot of other people drive it for the first 1000 miles so it adapts to your driving

Last edited by arU4ic; 05-29-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having had 2 Audi's now I can attest that what everyone is saying is true. My 15 A3 I kept in manual mode the majority of the time to get the most out of it. I'm noticing with the S the sport mode drives like I did in the manual mode on the A3.

Good luck with the car and enjoy driving it. Also, welcome to the forum. There is a ton of great information on here.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audivirgin69
Hello,

Im new to Audi brand. I just purchased a brand new 2015 Audi 2.0 Cab and love it to death...my only question is, is it normal for a slight hesitation when stepping on the gas, then sudden acceleration?
I'm new to it too, but after almost 1000 miles, I've either gotten used to it or it's gotten used to me, or a little bit of both. Certainly there is a little bit of turbo lag coming from a stop, but like others have said, it's something you get used to rather quickly.

Quick Reply: hesitation normal for audi?