Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

How can I install a hitch on my 2015 A3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I install a hitch on my 2015 A3?

There seem to be plenty of blog posts and videos about older model Audi A3s, but very few about the newer models. In those models, this involves taking off the ENTIRE back bumper, which is a bit much for me to try on my own. I'm not sure if the body changes that much (2012 sportback versus 2015 sedan), but I'm not experienced enough to know.

Any instructions/experience in installing one yourselves? How difficult was it? Are there instructions anywhere?

Thank you for your collective wisdom!
Old 07-19-2016, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redmumba
There seem to be plenty of blog posts and videos about older model Audi A3s, but very few about the newer models. In those models, this involves taking off the ENTIRE back bumper, which is a bit much for me to try on my own. I'm not sure if the body changes that much (2012 sportback versus 2015 sedan), but I'm not experienced enough to know.

Any instructions/experience in installing one yourselves? How difficult was it? Are there instructions anywhere?

It's a completely different chassis. From what I have seen, install on a 2015 A3 is fairly easy. I recommend checking out etrailer.com
Old 07-25-2016, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought this: https://amzn.com/B00KB6Y6XA

My brother-in-law and I put it on in about 30min. Easy-peasy. The instructions are well done and it's very straight forward. Don't have to remove anything...
Old 09-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just installed a Curt 113992 class 1 hitch on my 2016 A3 Quattro Premium Plus. The install was very easy. The only tough part was clearing the goop off the frame holes to fit the bolts through and the wiring. I couldn't get the curt wiring harness recommended to work so I wired my 4 wires directly to the tail lights and it works great. My trailer only has LEDs so the draw is minimal.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 09-08-2016, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please see my thread on this topic from last year...

Originally Posted by redmumba

Please see my thread on this topic from last year: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/cabriolet-owners-i-need-hitch-my-bike-rack-help-2880895/
Old 09-13-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Installed the Curt hitch from etrailer last night on our A3 Cab. Now we can easily bring our bikes. Don't need to tow anything and have the Q5 if I do, so didn't do the wiring for the lights. Install was easy, the only funny thing was backing up the ramps to gain some room to work. The DSG behavior is so different than any automatic I ever drove. I guess I would say it goes on it's own timeline and not as predictable as a fluid pump conventional automatic.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess you tried to drive up the ramp with a door open. Have all doors closed and then it drives OK and very predictable
Old 09-14-2016, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by awss4
I guess you tried to drive up the ramp with a door open. Have all doors closed and then it drives OK and very predictable
Doors have to be closed, or the car puts the parking brake on, already learned that one in the past. Good idea though.
It may get predictable after more experience, but unlike the ZF in my Q5 or any other slush box the service brake does not help control the transmission.
If the service brake is held on, the car does not try to go with a DSG and acts like a clutch. When you let off the brake the car does not go immediately but does go after a not predictable to me yet delay.
If you think that behavior is predictable then it is because you routinely drive up steep ramps and are experienced with the DSG's behavior or never have and you have no idea of this very different behavior from a slush box.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have many times driven various cars up service ramps. Torque converter cars are easier than DSG. (Currently have 3 DSG Audi’s; previously had 3 torque converter Audi’s). With both types it is a two-foot operation, one on brake and one on accelerator. I use ramps at both ends when getting underneath. This is the hardest since the whole car is going up, not just one end. I also drive on lots of steep streets and exit from underground parking lots. Just takes some practice and keep the doors closed.

Quick Reply: How can I install a hitch on my 2015 A3?