Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

How do I turn the Mirror upside down ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobx001
If you don't want to Correct the mirror, which is very simple to do, then this is the car you will be driving
LOL
Wow... Speechless.. After all these, you still insist that you're right and everyone else is wrong... There's NOTHING to correct, period! If it's your preference to have it upside down then by all mean, do it, but stop saying that it is wrong pls...
Old 01-13-2017, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is critical is the up/down orientation

… Modern car mirrors are built as prismatic lenses (not flat). This helps to diffuse the glare from headlights. So, the top or the mirror, nearest the roof, is actually thicker. If you were to somehow flip it over, you would defeat the prismatic function and cause yourself real grief…

http://qnxauto.blogspot.com/2014/09/...w-mirrors.html

https://www.scienceworld.ca/blog/how...antiglare-work

Sorry if this was obvious, but I though it relevant… optics and perception are really quite complicated…

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 01-14-2017, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I have to say after 15 years participating in the AW forums this one is a first for me. Not sure a whole thread with photos, instructions and diagrams on this topic is useful to most here but whatever makes you happy. Enjoy.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think my mirror is correct. When I look in it I see what's behind the car, do some peoples mirror not work this way?
Old 01-14-2017, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by S4cruiser
I think my mirror is correct. When I look in it I see what's behind the car, do some peoples mirror not work this way?
It's all correct mate. Just different shapes. That's all. OP thought the design was weird and wrong so he got it corrected as per his wishes. I'm totally fine with mine. To each his own.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is indeed a science to all of this. The driver needs to see objects in the mirror, but the visibility out of the back of the car limits the available view.
So you need to make a mirror that is just large enough to see what is available.
Anything larger is a waste. Why? Because the rear view mirror is also a forward view obstruction, and that is far more critical.
I am 6'6" and the f&(^ing mirror blocks my view all the time. Cars or pedestrians can hide behind that thing at stop signs and I have to move around to check my view.

The O.E. has to engineer that mirror to work from 5% Female to 95% Male in all seating positions as well.
So, I can tell you this. No - the O.E.M did not screw it up.
It has been precisely engineered to meet the needs of a vast population.
Does that mean it will be optimized for you? Absolutely not.
It will likely be perfect for nobody, but merely OK for all.

The old FMVSS rules are also out of date and specify things like you have to have a mirror (not cameras) of a minimum area (sideview) etc....
Headlights were rectangular in the 80's because the FMVSS specified them.
FMVSS rules hold back automotive innovation more than anything I can think of.... well those and making quarterly numbers for wall street.

If the OP likes the mirror upside down. Fantastic - that's his choice. It's your choice too as he posted the instructions.
If it were up to me. I'd slam it up against the roof of the car. Others have retrofitted larger ones. That's the last thing I personally need.
I'd take one with auto-dimming again however.