Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

How do you Hold Your Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you Hold Your Steering Wheel?

This is my first paddle shift car, before this one I've always had a manual. I've always held the wheel at 10&2. Now I find myself holding the wheel at 9&3 because of the paddles. During a recent binge viewing of UK Top Gear I noticed that all three of them use 9&3 for paddle shift cars. Is this the correct way or is it just a preference thing?

They way I've always held the wheel

UK Top Gear
Old 01-20-2015, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe in the past we were taught to hold the wheel at 10 and 2. I believe it is now taught to hold the wheel at 9 and 3. The ergonomics of the wheel feels more comfortable at 9 and 3 and it is just plain awkward at 10 and 2. The bolsters on the 10 and 2 position seem to assist me more when making a turn.

Edit: Here is a link to confirm this from State Farm

Teaching a Teen to Drive | Developing Your Teens Skills | Steering Wheel Hand Position | State Farm

Last edited by OOOO S3; 01-20-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have also heard (long ago when learning to drive) that 10 and 2 increases the risk of airbag related injuries (think hands to the face) compared to 9 and 3.

Only heard it once though (and the geometry doesn't really make sense) so take it for what you will.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

My Fiancée learned to drive in the UK where 9-3 is taught. I, however, was always told 10-2. At least that explains the top gear haha
Old 01-20-2015, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by OOOO S3
The part about not doing hand over hand turns explains why the Top Gear guys are always ripping on the shuffle technique. Also thanks for the link.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've instructed for years with multiple car clubs. IMO, always "3 & 9"!!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, race training starts your with 9&3 so you can cross your arms equally right or left in a turn without taking your hands off the wheel.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yep, 9 & 3. If you've done any performance driving you'll realize that you don't have the control you need if you hold it at 10 & 2 and you more frequently have to move your hands. If you do things right, you never have to let go off the steering wheel if you hold it at 9 & 3, in particular if you drive a car with sporty/direct steering ratios. The following video shows this done in practice.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:59 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High speeds are nice for 9&3 because they don't require more than a 1/4 or 1/2 rotation of the wheel to get the steering effect required. I think that's the best position if you were racing or tracking your A3/S3.

However---

10 & 2 gives you a more flexible position for slower daily driving, and with the ratios our steering mechanisms use, slower speeds very often require full+ rotations of the wheel to make high aspect turns. The corners position is more desirable for these maneuvers because of the much higher initial force that can be delivered by a single hand rotating the wheel (assuming you release with the other hand while making the large wheel input).

I'm an industrial engineer by education who studied this exact problem for a graduate research project and reached some cool conclusions with our cabin ergonomics data.. Also as a note, most people adjust their mirrors incorrectly - here's a Car and Driver infographic pointing this out: How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver

The bottom line is that whatever wheel position makes you feel most in control is likely the best one.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have to disagree with practically everything you've said. First of all, the little cutouts on the steering wheel at "3 & 9" are there for a reason. Second of all, you'll have to defend the knuckleheads that drive with one hand wrapped over the top of the wheel, convinced they know EVERYTHING about car control!

Hopefully, you'll get an opportunity to attend a well run high performance driving event. I feel pretty confident in saying you will not get an instructor that allows you to stay at your desired "2 & 10" position for very long . . . at least until you're on your way home.

Truly try "3 & 9" for a week (religiously) and I think you'll change your mind.

Last edited by m3brad; 01-21-2015 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: How do you Hold Your Steering Wheel?