Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

How to get a .99g S3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Diztek
my thoughts exactly. i want to reduce understeer and improve cornering. i think the rear H&R is too thick to work with the oem front sway. any other options ohter than H&R?
Diztek are you talking about H&R on an S3?
Old 03-17-2016, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes. it just seems like a 25mm sway bar would be to thick to work correctly wiht the oem front sway. i am looking to upgrade just the rear sway bar to reduce understeer. although on neuspeeds website, they claim that their 25mm rear sway bar was designed to work with the oem front sway. so, i think i still need to do more research.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Diztek
yes. it just seems like a 25mm sway bar would be to thick to work correctly wiht the oem front sway. i am looking to upgrade just the rear sway bar to reduce understeer. although on neuspeeds website, they claim that their 25mm rear sway bar was designed to work with the oem front sway. so, i think i still need to do more research.
Make any decisions?

I know everyone loves the handling of this car, I just want it 12.5% better... rear sway/roll still gives me a mini heart attack in spirited, curvy highway driving.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i have not. but i am interested in checking the 034 rear bar when it is released.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by will13k7
I think H&R designed their rear sway to work optimally with their front sway, so if you only go with a rear sway, getting a rear sway designed to work optimally with the OEM front sway would be better IMO. Also, 034 adds the grease nipple, so when your sway's bushings start to make noise, its far easier to re-grease.

I'm still somewhat undecided about getting both font+rear sways or just a rear sway though. With just a rear sway there will be more fun oversteer, but with both front+rear sways, it will further reduce body roll and improve turn-in "feel" to some extent, but it will shift the balance of the car to be somewhat more prone to understeer.
Ok I think I should share this with you. When i bought my new S3 it had very annoying body roll. So in about two weeks i had 034 (Fremont guys) install H&R sway. Driving dynamics improved a lot. Cornerring improved significantly. So i was thrilled with the improvement from going pure stock to just add rear bar to pure stock. I was so excited that I bought the front H&R bar and had 034 install it again. So going from pure stock to just rear bar vs rear and front bar was really different. The improved feeling of former far far far exceeded than that of latter. Yes the front bar added more ridgidity but it also introduced more understeer. I actually regret getting the front bar to be frank with you.
Here is my plan to neutralize the car's driving dynamics:
- put front bar on the less aggressive setting (h&r front bar is adjustable)
- get aftermarket rear links and rear polly bushings (SuperPro sells them) to further stiffen up the rear end.

So hopefully this will reduce understeer and make it more fun to drive

Last edited by salvadorik; 04-08-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Ok I think I should share this with you. When i bought my new S3 it had very annoying body roll. So in about two weeks i had 034 (Fremont guys) install H&R sway. Driving dynamics improved a lot. Cornerring improved significantly. So i was thrilled with the improvement from going pure stock to just add rear bar to pure stock. I was so excited that I bought the front H&R bar and had 034 install it again. So going from pure stock to just rear bar vs rear and front bar was really different. The improved feeling of former far far far exceeded than that of latter. Yes the front bar added more ridgidity but it also introduced more understeer. I actually regret getting the front bar to be frank with you.
Here is my plan to neutralize the car's driving dynamics:
- put front bar on the less aggressive setting (h&r front bar is adjustable)
- get aftermarket rear links and rear polly bushings (SuperPro sells them) to further stiffen up the rear end.

So hopefully this will reduce understeer and make it more fun to drive
WOW, fantastic advice... the body roll has me almost looking to trade-in/up... this might make me fall back in-love.

Do you see any issues with just starting with a rear bar? Sounds like it might really be the ticket to quickest/easiest improvement.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
WOW, fantastic advice... the body roll has me almost looking to trade-in/up... this might make me fall back in-love.

Do you see any issues with just starting with a rear bar? Sounds like it might really be the ticket to quickest/easiest improvement.
No issues whatsoever. Only improvement in cornering and less understeer. Just adding beefier rear bar made a big difference in a good way (with no side effects as far as I am concerned).

This car in stock form is not that super confidence inspiring but can be. The MQB chassis is awesome and it can be made fantastic provided mods done correctly. So my opinion is the front h&r bar should not have been installed after rear bar but I guess if rear end is stiffened up further the front bar's least aggressive position might eventually bring back that natural feeling. But this is all speculation with no real life results.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@salvadorik good to hear! I decided to go rear sway only a couple weeks ago (034's Early Adopter Program), sounds like I made a good bet.

Since my original list of items, a couple new ones popped up on the horizon for our platform:
1. Rear Subframe Inserts (034 future)
2. Front Camber Plates (EuroCode future, Integrated Engineering current.)

In a couple weeks or so (I hope) I'm throwing on a rear swaybar, front/rear endlinks, rear subframe inserts, and going to feel it out with my current PSS10 coils and dogbone insert. If I'm still not fully happy then front camber plates so I can get more negative camber up front, I can already get to -1.7 in the rear, but want -1.5 to -1.7 in front with -1.1 to -1.5 in the rear. Also might consider the rear chassis brace and tunnel brace.

Fun times ahead!

Last edited by will13k7; 04-10-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

@salvadorik good to hear! I decided to go rear sway only a couple weeks ago (034's Early Adopter Program), sounds like I made a good bet.

Since my original list of items, a couple new ones popped up on the horizon for our platform:

In a couple weeks or so (I hope) I'm throwing on a rear swaybar, front/rear endlinks, rear subframe inserts, and going to feel it out with my current PSS10 coils and dogbone insert. If I'm still not fully happy then front camber plates so I can get more negative camber up front, I can already get to -1.7 in the rear, but want -1.5 to -1.7 in front with -1.1 to -1.5 in the rear. Also might consider the rear chassis brace and tunnel brace.

Fun times ahead!
Oh wow there are good things coming huh! I am sure you are going to be delighted with those mods. Look forward to hearing from you.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Fun times ahead!
Would love it if you started a suspension mod thread on this as you go.

Quick Reply: How to get a .99g S3 ?