Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

How to mirror your phone on the MMI screen

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 116Crew
Does the 6" charging cable come with the HDMI converter box?

Could you please post a link to the HDMI converter from Amazon? There are a lot and just want to make sure I get the right one

Thanks!
6inch charge cable (optional):
Amazon.com: StarTech.com USB2HABM6IN 6-Inch Mini USB 2.0 Cable - A to Mini B: Electronics Amazon.com: StarTech.com USB2HABM6IN 6-Inch Mini USB 2.0 Cable - A to Mini B: Electronics

convertor box:
Amazon.com: Tendak 1080P HDMI to AV 3RCA CVBS Composite Video Audio Converter Adapter Supporting PAL/NTSC with USB Charge Cable for PC Laptop Xbox PS3 TV STB VHS VCR Camera DVD: Electronics Amazon.com: Tendak 1080P HDMI to AV 3RCA CVBS Composite Video Audio Converter Adapter Supporting PAL/NTSC with USB Charge Cable for PC Laptop Xbox PS3 TV STB VHS VCR Camera DVD: Electronics

male to male AV connectors:
Amazon.com: RCA Male Plug to RCA Male Plug Audio Coupler Adapter (Pack of 10): Electronics Amazon.com: RCA Male Plug to RCA Male Plug Audio Coupler Adapter (Pack of 10): Electronics

HDMI cable with a right angle:
Amazon.com: Aurum High Speed 90 Degree (Right Angle) HDMI Cable with Ethernet (1.5 FT) - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest HDMI Version Available] - 1.5 Feet: Electronics Amazon.com: Aurum High Speed 90 Degree (Right Angle) HDMI Cable with Ethernet (1.5 FT) - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest HDMI Version Available] - 1.5 Feet: Electronics

Goliton AMI cable:
Amazon.com: Goliton? AMI MMI 3RCA Audio Video Cable 4F0051510AA For AUDI A7 Q7 S7: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Goliton? AMI MMI 3RCA Audio Video Cable 4F0051510AA For AUDI A7 Q7 S7: Car Electronics
Old 11-07-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This worked well on an S6. Haven't done VIM yet for Wase use, but here you can see how taking a pic looks:

Thank you! I bought exactly what was mentioned, but haven't tested sound yet.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by schalliol
This worked well on an S6. Haven't done VIM yet for Wase use, but here you can see how taking a pic looks:

Thank you! I bought exactly what was mentioned, but haven't tested sound yet.
I noticed that the rca male to male adapters were loose. had to use pliers to squeeze each end slightly for a more snug fit. great now
Old 11-09-2015, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Three questions after using this with Waze and VIM on the S6:
  1. Is there supported audio pass through capability from the phone under the HDMI cable? I think there should be, but it wasn't working with audio for me.
  2. I had an issue crop up in which the video first looked great and then it shifted down such that there was a bit of black space at the top and no iPhone menu bar and a bit cut off on the bottom. Is there a way to adjust it so it works with a perfect fit? I have 16:9 and tried both PAL and NTSC with the same result.
  3. The Audi power receptical is always powered on. Does the HDMI to composite converter use much power, and do you leave it plugged in all the time even when not in the car?
Thanks, this is a huge improvement!
Old 11-10-2015, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by schalliol
Three questions after using this with Waze and VIM on the S6:
  1. Is there supported audio pass through capability from the phone under the HDMI cable? I think there should be, but it wasn't working with audio for me.
  2. I had an issue crop up in which the video first looked great and then it shifted down such that there was a bit of black space at the top and no iPhone menu bar and a bit cut off on the bottom. Is there a way to adjust it so it works with a perfect fit? I have 16:9 and tried both PAL and NTSC with the same result.
  3. The Audi power receptical is always powered on. Does the HDMI to composite converter use much power, and do you leave it plugged in all the time even when not in the car?
Thanks, this is a huge improvement!

Yes there is audio. I never use PAL. I do not notice any cutoff on mine. I leave mine plugged into the usb power 100% of the time. Even when the car sits for weeks.

I think I was having some connection issues at one point but when I secured those little adapters by pinching them so they grab better. No issues since. I've played some mobile games on the screen but mostly I play youtube music videos for the audio.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the thoughts. Glad it can just run all the time. It's possible the cable connection wasn't great to cause the issue I mentioned and maybe no audio.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I thought I showed this with Waze running, but I guess not. Here it is:
Old 11-17-2015, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sigh, only if we could do this AND drive
Old 11-17-2015, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, with Waze you can wave your hand over the phone and talk to it. I plan to just leave this on Waze when driving. In the morning, Waze knows I'm going to work when I fire it up. In fact, I could just say "hey siri" open Waze. It would open and auto set work as the destination. Now, unless you use the voice activation, you won't be reporting speed traps, traffic, etc, but it doesn't mean you can't see the traffic build-up ahead and take the right course. For sure having an ability to use MMI controls would be the way to go if possible.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you like this thread, perhaps make a call to AoA as here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post24744355

Quick Reply: How to mirror your phone on the MMI screen