Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

I'm cured… sorry folks…

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I'm cured… sorry folks…

Standard transmissions my whole life, I was CRUSHED when I found out about DSG only on all the A3/S3 models, even a few weeks in wanted to shift with a stick desperately. In-fact, almost pulled the trigger on an S4 instead.

I drove my 5 spd A4 last week, then back into my S3… behold, I was thrilled to be back to paddles. I use them all the time, only in D sometimes like if I have to drink coffee while driving in the city portion of my commute.

I am officially cured. Sorry ladies and gentlemen.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Standard transmissions my whole life, I was CRUSHED when I found out about DSG only on all the A3/S3 models, even a few weeks in wanted to shift with a stick desperately. In-fact, almost pulled the trigger on an S4 instead.

I drove my 5 spd A4 last week, then back into my S3… behold, I was thrilled to be back to paddles. I use them all the time, only in D sometimes like if I have to drink coffee while driving in the city portion of my commute.

Good to hear. I think there is times that manual gearbox is nice, but more often we are in situations that an automated gearbox is more practical.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive in manual mode all the time. I make quick shifts taking advantage of the peak torque at low rpm. Still the lever feels a bit heavy compared toa regular manual.
I havent tried paddle shifting yet. Prefer manual over DSG D/S modes
Old 01-21-2015, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ONLY drive using the S-Tronic shifter. Once I start up my S3 i'll drive about ten minutes in "D" to warm things up, then switch over for the rest of the drive. My wife and I plan on a road trip to Orlando in April and we'll be taking the S3 down.

This past weekend my wife and I were driving around doing errands. At one point she asked if it was possible to "just leave" the transmission in S mode without shifting, because the car was driving aggressively, because it would be better for gas mileage, because... I looked her DEAD IN THE EYE and told her "this car is BUILT to be DRIVEN, to wring out every pound/foot of torque and horsepower from EVERY gear, prior to up shifting. If i wanted fuel economy and if i wanted to putter around town I'd have taken the Corolla."

It's bad because I purchased this car as the "days off machine" but I find myself driving it more and more days a week. I started it as the "Friday to work treat", then started driving it Friday and Monday, and now I am afraid it will turn into my Daily Driver.

The S3 is THAT awesome, and driving it using the S Tronic makes it exponentially THAT MUCH MORE AWESOME!

ENJOY!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hardly use the paddle shifters on my A3. It's something about manual paddle shifting that seems odd whenever I do it.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You'll be driving a Buick next. It's called "getting old". I hope it doesn't happen to me.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

After I got used to it, I never wished my Ferrari had a standard transmission but often wished I had paddle shifters on the RS4 - so for me an S3 without paddles would not have been an option.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

A Ferrari, I'd probably want an automatic also. Or, going back to a B8 a4 I'd probably not feel the desire for a manual, the car's too big/heavy. For the S3, gimme a manual ANY day. I really just do not understand why people prefer it. This is my second dsg car (and both I'd prefer to be manual but other reasons won out).
Old 01-21-2015, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
You'll be driving a Buick next. It's called "getting old". I hope it doesn't happen to me.

Hey! I resemble that remark!! All kidding aside, my previous car was a 2012 Regal GS
with a 6-speed. It had great seats and one of the slickest manuals I've ever driven. The
problem was, it just couldn't hook up with so much torque and so little grip.

Once I knew the S3 was coming to our shores, the Buick's fate was decided.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Instant No Button! Star Wars funnies FTW!