Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Intermittent Windsheild Wipers, I give up!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

My S3 is my 6th Audi. I don't recall on my 2001 A6 whether it had automatic sensing wipers, but every other one had it. All the Audi's with automatic wipers with the exception of the S3 the wipers were usually in one setting and left. I have found that I have to tinker with the S3 wiper setting. Perhaps Audi can come out with a software update for this. I hope...
Old 12-22-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You wash your car with it running? You mean at the car wash?
It may have been running while I was rinsing it off, or under accessory power. What's the big deal? And I've never in my life driven a car through a car wash. Do those things still exist? Lol!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
And I've never in my life driven a car through a car wash. Do those things still exist? Lol!
They exist in the North and are the only option when the temps range from 20 to -20.

I absolutely hate going through the automatic car washes and I cringed my first time through with a new car but in the end I know I can't avoid it. I just do my best to protect my rims because the paint/finish can always be waxed to look perfect.

Trust me, I have tried to do the quarter wash during the winter months and its a losing battle!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by drober30
They exist in the North and are the only option when the temps range from 20 to -20.

I absolutely hate going through the automatic car washes and I cringed my first time through with a new car but in the end I know I can't avoid it. I just do my best to protect my rims because the paint/finish can always be waxed to look perfect.

Trust me, I have tried to do the quarter wash during the winter months and its a losing battle!
Yep.. I live in the North (NY) and winter is a pain. When its 36 degress or above, I'll get out the hose and the bucket. Neighbors think I'm crazy. But below those temps? I've been known to just leave it dirty for those days (weeks), which isn't good But yeah.... No choice if you want a clean car in Jan/Feb in the north other than having your own garage (preferably with a drain). Good luck, we're in it right now.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by EGainer
I use aquapel and literally do not use my wipers at all. I've done this for years. Wipers only get snow or standing water off when I'm parked.

It's hard to decide what kind of auto wipe you want, so I agree. It's not set and forget. That's why I went with aquapel
Gonna go this route. I used Rain-X back in the day but it was a pain in the butt to apply. Always had clouded areas on the glass that you had to buff forever to get the glass cloud free. It was more trouble than it was worth IMO.

Last edited by Spoonie G; 12-22-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
Yep.. I live in the North (NY) and winter is a pain. When its 36 degress or above, I'll get out the hose and the bucket. Neighbors think I'm crazy. But below those temps? I've been known to just leave it dirty for those days (weeks), which isn't good But yeah.... No choice if you want a clean car in Jan/Feb in the north other than having your own garage (preferably with a drain). Good luck, we're in it right now.
I had our house built and tried to have a drain installed but was vetoed by the city.

I did install a Reznor heater and insulated the garage so I can wax it and detail it in winter no problem.

I do want to buy one of those foaming soap attachments for the hose this summer for when I do give it a good washing.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audiq4me
I would of thought the Germans would have had a better handle on their wiper systems by now.
I lived in Germany for many years and it rains there almost as much as it does in the NW USA. You would figure they would have a rocket scientist to get this rain sensing down to an art form. Then again, I was informed the Germans don't have ice cubes because the scientist who had the formula for making them, died some years ago.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by drober30
I do want to buy one of those foaming soap attachments for the hose this summer for when I do give it a good washing.
I got a foam gun for the first time with this car. They are great. I also have a pressure washer and a leaf-blower (to dry out the crevices). Enjoy!
Old 12-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I got to do some extended trips in various rain conditions today. Had the wipers set on intermittent at the lowest setting with the rain sensor turned on. I am not sure why everyone else is having so much trouble. I never touched the wiper setting all day. The sensor worked great, wiping intermittently when the rain was light or I was stopped at a light and speeding up to continuous wipes when at speed or during heavy rain. It seemed to be sensing the amount of rain and using the appropriate wipe time spacing for all occasions.
This is my fist experience with the rain sensor on any of my cars and I expected it to be as bad as everyone was saying, but I love it it works great.