Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Just Ordered an S3/Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Ordered an S3/Tuning Question

Hey folks;

Just put down my order on a '16 S3 today. It's got (mostly) all the trimmings:
  • Prestige
  • Sport Seats
  • Performance Package
  • Sepang Blue
Can't wait!

I did have a question regarding ECU tunes - I'm in the Seattle area, and plan on using Achtuning (APR dealer) for a stage 1 ECU flash. I've seen in some cars that APR has allowed for a way of changing back to the stock programming utilizing a replaced turn signal or cruise control stock. Does anyone know if this is an option for the A3/S3?

If not, is there another tune that offers similar performance gains, similar (lack of) reliability issues, and a quick and easy way of reverting to stock for scheduled maintenance trips to the dealership?

I apologize for the somewhat basic question(s), but both of those are somewhat complex Google searches. Many thanks in advance for the info!
Old 07-02-2015, 10:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by WickedSmaht
Hey folks;

Just put down my order on a '16 S3 today. It's got (mostly) all the trimmings:
  • Prestige
  • Sport Seats
  • Performance Package
  • Sepang Blue
Can't wait!

I did have a question regarding ECU tunes - I'm in the Seattle area, and plan on using Achtuning (APR dealer) for a stage 1 ECU flash. I've seen in some cars that APR has allowed for a way of changing back to the stock programming utilizing a replaced turn signal or cruise control stock. Does anyone know if this is an option for the A3/S3?

If not, is there another tune that offers similar performance gains, similar (lack of) reliability issues, and a quick and easy way of reverting to stock for scheduled maintenance trips to the dealership?

I apologize for the somewhat basic question(s), but both of those are somewhat complex Google searches. Many thanks in advance for the info!
I'm a novice here...but I've done a fair amount of reading and from what I've read...there is no sure-shot way of preventing a TD1 flag (that you've tuned) if your car is hooked up to the computer even if you have your tune changed back.

Someone please confirm - but that's what i've read.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yep, I understand it's not sure-fire.. But having the tune on the car when hitting the dealership is essentially an automatic guarantee of a TD1. The best and only defense against this is reverting back to stock, which is not blatantly obvious to Audi's systems, as I understand it.

I know that I can go to my APR dealer to revert to stock, and then back to APR when the service is complete, but this is a bit of a time and financial annoyance. I'll deal with it if it's my only/best option, but I'm interested in an alternative that avoids the extra hassle.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

There have been a few threads discussing this and my take-away has been that if tuned and later reverted back to stock the dealer's service dept can still see that the ECU was previously flashed.
If they look and see this its flagged TD1.

I remember seeing somewhere that there is something akin to a non-eraseable flash counter.

This alone will keep me form flashing my S3 until it has significant miles to insure no engine or drivetrain issues.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've been following tuning on this platform with keen interest. I can say that the only agreed upon ways to see significant performance gains and 100% ensure no TD1 is a piggyback device a la Neuspeed or the new JB1.

Eurodyne lets you flash back to stock at home, which is a benefit, but I haven't heard any concrete report about avoiding TD1.

Most claim to be able to revert back to "stock" mode and some claim to reset the flash counter. Who really knows what's what? Not me. I also heard that the latest revision of the ECU box code (003?) has had additional restrictions placed on in by Audi, the old game of cat and mouse is still alive and well. Might take them some time to crack.

I went APR and I'm ok with paying to play. The car is wicked fun.

Edit: I read your post more carefully, and you should look into Eurodyne. They let you reflash to stock at home. APR doesn't currently offer anything like that for this platform.

Last edited by Syrome; 07-03-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the APR Stage I flash for my S3. And guess what? The Audi techs at my dealership all knew about it beforehand and even recommended it. They will not hook up the car unless absolutely necessary. They understand the situation as do I. If it breaks and the malfunction can be connected to the ECU tune, I may have to pay out of pocket. I accepted this risk. But this thing is so damn fun now. Was not expecting this much of a gain. But I use it where appropriate and don't abuse it. I'm not worried that my car will grenade itself. I was kindly asked to remind the staff at my service center about my ECU tune each time I bring it in. I can reflash to stock when I take it in for service but don't see the sense. If you aren't 100% comfortable with an ECU flash, just enjoy the car as it is. Still a blast.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, even if you have a tune and put it back to stock mode, it is still detectable.

I don't think the "stock" tune is the actual tune before the flash was ever done but a tune that was made to feel like stock.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

"Stock" map selected by the APR program in this case is not "stock" its just a stock map on top of APR software. This is not a flash back to stock, just a remap so definitely TD1 bait.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay. I'll just have to suck it up and risk it, then.

To the point of risk of grenading the car under the APR tune - does the new programming retain the safety systems that exist in stock form, regarding too much boost pressure, etc? If the car is still intelligent enough to keep itself from committing suicide, even with the increased performance, I'll have a much easier time swallowing the TD1 risk pill.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I don't have the details of what an APR tune involves other than the general things you can read about on the APR website, I'm 100% sure APR is not going to tune the car to be on the ragged edge of material limits of the car. They would be out of business immediately. They have been at this for some time and I have come to realize there are considerably more cars sporting APR (or equivalent) tunes out on the road. Your car will not become something that breathes fires or has to drive on the limit at all times. It's just extra oomph when you want it. The DSG transmission responds better now as well. One of the things I've noticed besides the obvious increase in acceleration is the removal of the 155 mph speed governor. Supposedly gets better mpg at highway cruising speeds also. I'm sure when I accelerate hard out of a corner or zip up to 90 when merging onto the highway, there are more stresses and strains on the engine with the tune over stock. But I don't feel that APR sacrificed reliability over additional horsepower.

Quick Reply: Just Ordered an S3/Tuning Question