Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Michelin Pilot Super Sport 19s

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Super Sport 19s

So I took the dive into new summer shoes and after 100 miles (I know not much) I've realized how long I've denied myself from really good rubber for my cars. These things are worth every extra penny. I know, after 100 miles it's like a drunken one-nighter with the 'girl of your dreams' but I think these tires were meant to be for the S3 (A3 TOO of course).

Ride is sublime, so much so that you don't think you've got super sport tires until you need them to dig in - they track better than the OEMs and the AS max performance shoes I had over the winter by 70% or 80% - road noise dropped significantly as well.

Hard driving exposes the typical Quattro understeer more than the OEMs, but it's much more predictable and strangely easier to control - dare I say that once you push a little harder, that these Michelins dig-in and 'fix' the understeer (?) - the car starts to drift out of the turn then once off the suspension sway, accelerate into the turn then the tires dig-in and seem to correct the understeer. Remarkable really.

Running at factory pressures, 19 inch, mag-ride and steering in dynamic (duh) and the temperature has been in the 70s-80s. and a mix of fog and sun.

I'll update as I sober-up and take a longer look at the 'girl(s) of my dreams'.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write-up and tip arU4ic. I've still got lots of miles left in my Contis but always looking ahead. I have a set of Dunlops on 18 inch wheels for the winter time so my summers don't see as many miles overall. Must be a good reason why exotics and above come equipped with Pilot Super Sports!
Old 08-01-2016, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Thanks for the write-up and tip arU4ic. I've still got lots of miles left in my Contis but always looking ahead. I have a set of Dunlops on 18 inch wheels for the winter time so my summers don't see as many miles overall. Must be a good reason why exotics and above come equipped with Pilot Super Sports!
I ran a long fast sweeper today... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH... so good. Everyone should put these tires on their audi, the contis were like a marathon runner wearing clogs.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sold me! But realistically have to wait until my Contis actually need to be replaced. LOL. It's like I have trouble wrapping my head around people who replace the entire exhaust on their new S3 when the one it came with is pretty damn good to start with. I assume your original tires needed to be replaced or were you just looking to improve control. I recall you not being fond of the handling initially.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my 2nd set of PSS (18" on my A3). I took off the POS all seasons that came with the A3, and hate putting them back on.
I did 1.5 years of driving and 6 track days on the first set, and now 8 days so far this year with the 2nd set. I probably could have gone another event or two, but my son and I were sharing the car at Watkins Glen and I thought them too low on tread for safety reasons.

Love them!
Old 08-02-2016, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
You sold me! But realistically have to wait until my Contis actually need to be replaced. LOL. It's like I have trouble wrapping my head around people who replace the entire exhaust on their new S3 when the one it came with is pretty damn good to start with. I assume your original tires needed to be replaced or were you just looking to improve control. I recall you not being fond of the handling initially.
Yeah, side-wall puncture on 1 tire when they had 8k on them - sigh - so therefore all 4 needed to be replaced. (I do have conti AS as well for over the winter.)
Old 08-02-2016, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by daves4
I'm on my 2nd set of PSS (18" on my A3). I took off the POS all seasons that came with the A3, and hate putting them back on.
I did 1.5 years of driving and 6 track days on the first set, and now 8 days so far this year with the 2nd set. I probably could have gone another event or two, but my son and I were sharing the car at Watkins Glen and I thought them too low on tread for safety reasons.

Love them!
Must be nice at the track, particularly after they warm-up a bit.

Man I wish bike tires lasted 6-8 track days! I went through a set in 2 days - and they are NOT any cheaper than car tires.