Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-09-2016, 12:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

MMI is on, but no sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI is on, but no sound

Hi all,

Since friday, this weird thing happen twice. First time, I was coming home from work. Stopped at gas station, when I came back in the car, MMI turned on but no sound from speakers. I tried everything... Turned on/off couple of times, looked in settings trying to find something, changed sources... But nothing worked. Next morning, I started the car, everything was fine, like if nothing happened the day before. I tought it was one of those weird thing that happen once... But no. After a stop at the grocery store, it did the same today

This happen with one of you? Someone know or can explain the source of this problem? I have an S3 with B&O.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2015, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Seems like it could potentially be any number of things. Hard to narrow down if you can't reproduce the problem purposefully. B&O does have an external amp which might be flaking out on you. Taking it in might be your best bet.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

This happened to me once in my RS5. When I turned up the volume, I got faint and muffled sound. It felt like only the subwoofer was working and all the higher frequencies were missing. Also, the voice prompts didn't work. It went away on its own after letting the car sit for a while. Looks like a bug of the B&O system not starting up properly. I took it in, but dealer couldn't find anything and it's hasn't happened anymore.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eltook: Happened to me a few months ago on a long distance trip. Stopped for gas and put something into the glove box. Started to drive and realized no music. No nothing. Bluetooth, phone, nav, nothing. But it was on. Panicked a bit and phoned my Audi service center. They weren't sure. I tried to reset things numerous times while they worked on a solution and would call be back. Pulled everything out of my glove box and pulled my SC card and sim card. Started things up and it worked fine. I think something may have pressed on the sim card a bit and caused a bad connection. This not only messed up the internet connection but confused everything as well. Not 100% sure this is the case but I have not had a single problem since. The S3 glove boxes are very small and I think it's easy for an object put some pressure on the electronic components packed into the glove box. Try resetting your cards and the system if it happens again. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
eltook: Happened to me a few months ago on a long distance trip. Stopped for gas and put something into the glove box. Started to drive and realized no music. No nothing. Bluetooth, phone, nav, nothing. But it was on. Panicked a bit and phoned my Audi service center. They weren't sure. I tried to reset things numerous times while they worked on a solution and would call be back. Pulled everything out of my glove box and pulled my SC card and sim card. Started things up and it worked fine. I think something may have pressed on the sim card a bit and caused a bad connection. This not only messed up the internet connection but confused everything as well. Not 100% sure this is the case but I have not had a single problem since. The S3 glove boxes are very small and I think it's easy for an object put some pressure on the electronic components packed into the glove box. Try resetting your cards and the system if it happens again. Good luck.
Thanks Fixeroh for your input! I have a canadian S3 so there is no SIM card. I also have the car since one week, so I didn't have time to put a SD card in it. If it happen again, I'll try to reset MMI.. It's the only thing I didn't tried.

I am open to other possible solutions. I have no other recourse since the dealer can not reproduce the problem...
Old 01-19-2015, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by eltook
Thanks Fixeroh for your input! I have a canadian S3 so there is no SIM card. I also have the car since one week, so I didn't have time to put a SD card in it. If it happen again, I'll try to reset MMI.. It's the only thing I didn't tried.

I am open to other possible solutions. I have no other recourse since the dealer can not reproduce the problem...
Sounds like you need to reboot the MMI system... look in the manual for resetting MMI. When ever you have a problem, first place to start. If you are streaming music from your smartphone, I would reboot the app, smartphone, then MMI.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This happenned to me once when the car was about two weeks old. restart of the car didnt help. i didnt yet know about the "reset" of the MMI system, so i didnt try that.
anyway, i drove for about 20 minutes and turned it off again, this time for about 15 minutes. when i started it back up that second time, everything worked fine. no problems since.
dealer told me if it happened again, use the series of button presses to "reset" the mmi.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This problem has now happened to me twice in my A3 TDI; have had the car since November; standard audio system with MMI+. Both times, no sound whatsoever. The sound reappears when I start the car in the morning. I did notice at least one of the times that when the MMI first started the screen was jumbled,with a few screens on top of one another. That quickly went away, but then no sound.

I haven't yet tried the reboot key combo.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boulders
This happenned to me once when the car was about two weeks old. restart of the car didnt help. i didnt yet know about the "reset" of the MMI system, so i didnt try that.
anyway, i drove for about 20 minutes and turned it off again, this time for about 15 minutes. when i started it back up that second time, everything worked fine. no problems since.
dealer told me if it happened again, use the series of button presses to "reset" the mmi.
Mine is about a month old, and sure enough this morning the MMI wasn't making a sound. I tried Sirius, media, and radio, none worked. Drove for 5 minutes, went into a store, and 5 minutes later when I started it up everything worked fine. Very odd, hopefully this is the only time.

Can someone post how to reset MMI? Also, is the reset just a reset or do you lose things like satellite presets?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2015, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by scutchins
Mine is about a month old, and sure enough this morning the MMI wasn't making a sound. I tried Sirius, media, and radio, none worked. Drove for 5 minutes, went into a store, and 5 minutes later when I started it up everything worked fine. Very odd, hopefully this is the only time.

Can someone post how to reset MMI? Also, is the reset just a reset or do you lose things like satellite presets?

Thanks
Its a reboot. Here is a video:

Quick Reply: MMI is on, but no sound