Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 09:36 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

My A3 Journey/Build (B16 Ride Control Arrived today!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What microphone are you using? Also the battery powered one? Is it not possible to just hard wire the mic with a transformer to match the voltage?

Also im assuming you experimented with placement of the mic and the gps antenna, what location did you find that worked best?

also were you able to map the * button on your steering wheel to launch navitouch?

Originally Posted by mroberte
Ya I'd buy together as it will be easier.

Navi-Touch is aware of the Canbus issue, however they have not found any solutions as of yet - really no one has hence why its really hard to find a steering wheel button controller. The only issue that doesn't work is the rear view camera, which will work with the relay (basically you wire it up like its a manual transmission if you have an automatic transmission.) I asked about OS upgrades and it most likely won't happen, luckily 4.2.2 supports everything that you'll need. I use Automate which looks and acts very similiar to Android Auto and its amazing. Automate is currently in Beta but keeps on getting better and better and supports almost all music streaming apps and mainstream navigation apps. I use Waze, but Google maps is the only one that really is integrated in it.

For the voice recognition, its only because of the microphone, not the hardware. I've found one that works really well, but requires battery changes too frequently since I couldn't hardwire. I'm using the stock microphone in the headliner currently which is a 12v powered mic.

The voicebox is to bypass the stock stereo, however you lose a bunch of quality and the ability to use the car's equalizer to adjust. I used it for about a week, then just plugged it directly into the 3.5mm port and world of difference in sound quality. The only downside is that if you are trying to use the radio and get directions through the android device, won't happen, however you can just download any radio app and stream it all.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dryale
What microphone are you using? Also the battery powered one? Is it not possible to just hard wire the mic with a transformer to match the voltage?

Also im assuming you experimented with placement of the mic and the gps antenna, what location did you find that worked best?

also were you able to map the * button on your steering wheel to launch navitouch?
I'm now using the stock microphone, so I tapped into it and works better than most solutions I tried. The previous microphone that was battery powered, was an Olympus. I used that version mainly because it was the only one that I could find that came in a mono and not stereo version.

I did buy a transformer, but it never worked. The battery provided about 3V of power max so at first I was going to use USB power, but that would of burned it up. After fiddling and buying another olympus mic, neither would take the power source reliably.

I had the GPS sensor in the passenger corner near the bottom of the windshield, but that didn't seem to get best "reception" of the signals. I then moved it all the way to the top of the windshield in the middle so its completely out of sight and works a billion times better. Downtown SF I'd always lose signal, now works like a charm.

Still haven't figured out the * star button as that is outside of the realm of what the steering wheel "reader" defines as a steering wheel button. There's really not much support when trying to find something that can convert all the buttons too. If you find a solution please share! Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where did you place the microphone?

Also they confirmed the same as you, that NaviTouch might be stuck on JellyBean 4.2.2 they don't know if the developer has any plans on upgrading to a newer OS. It would be nice to incorporate bluetooth drivers for a bluetooth usb dongle

Also I have been communicating with NaviTouch and they claim the audio quality between the voice module and the aux is the same. Did you use the 2ch or 4ch voice module? I recall you saying the quality though the Aux was better

Navi touch said the following
The 2 channel voice module only works over the vehicle's front speakers, so rear speakers won't emit NaviTouch's audio. And the 4 channel voice module acts over all the vehicle's speakers, front and rear ones. It makes no difference between any audio coming out from the NaviTouch's® module.
So if I am using the voice module for listening to the NAVI touch, does this mean ALL audio is only coming through the 2 channels? (if i chose the 2 channel module) Example: I am listening to music streaming from the internet is through the NaviTouch is only coming from the front 2 channels?

Yes, in case you select the voice module 2x channel option, then the only speakers that will emit any sound coming out from the NaviTouch® system will be the front speakers. This is related to imitate the Audi's original audio behaviour; so if you had adquired from factory the navigation system on your vehicle, in case you were using navigation function, and listening to music (CD player or radio), then when navigation system emit somekind of sound, only front speakers would get mute in order to let you hear navigation orders, and then after the emision they would resume the music reproduction (but during all these time, rear speakers won't stop playing the on course music reproduction). So the 2 channel voice module, replicates this kind of behaviour.

* The 4x channel voice module acts (so its mutes all the vehicle speakers in order to play NaviTouch's audio emisions).

Resuming; if you're interested on listen to music using the NaviTouch® Android very often, then we recommend to get the 4x channel voice module, and on the other side, if you simply want to use NaviTouch® Android to navigate and few other things, so you think that you will continue listening to music from original vehicle's system (radio or cd)... then get the 2x channel voice module.

Originally Posted by mroberte
I'm now using the stock microphone, so I tapped into it and works better than most solutions I tried. The previous microphone that was battery powered, was an Olympus. I used that version mainly because it was the only one that I could find that came in a mono and not stereo version.

I did buy a transformer, but it never worked. The battery provided about 3V of power max so at first I was going to use USB power, but that would of burned it up. After fiddling and buying another olympus mic, neither would take the power source reliably.

I had the GPS sensor in the passenger corner near the bottom of the windshield, but that didn't seem to get best "reception" of the signals. I then moved it all the way to the top of the windshield in the middle so its completely out of sight and works a billion times better. Downtown SF I'd always lose signal, now works like a charm.

Still haven't figured out the * star button as that is outside of the realm of what the steering wheel "reader" defines as a steering wheel button. There's really not much support when trying to find something that can convert all the buttons too. If you find a solution please share! Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What about use this for the GPS antenna

OEM Shark Fin Antenna Aerial for New AUDI A3 S3 8V0 035 503 AH-in GPS Receiver & Antenna from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Old 11-21-2015, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ah I saw in your video where you placed the antenna. Seems like an ideal spot.

how did you wire the stock mic to both the mmi and the navitouch? are you able to have both wired at the same time to the same mic?

Did you have luck with programming the Mirror drop-down while in reverse?

Based on that thread you linked, people state that the mirror doesn't return to its proper position.

Does your car have the bose (without amp) or the b%o w/ amplifier? In one of your videos you suggested using the aux for the navi touch. But i have the bose system without the amp, so i am curious if the 4 channel voice module would sound just as good as the aux. thats the only thing thats keeping me back from ordering it.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dryale
Ah I saw in your video where you placed the antenna. Seems like an ideal spot.

how did you wire the stock mic to both the mmi and the navitouch? are you able to have both wired at the same time to the same mic?

Did you have luck with programming the Mirror drop-down while in reverse?

Based on that thread you linked, people state that the mirror doesn't return to its proper position.

Does your car have the bose (without amp) or the b%o w/ amplifier? In one of your videos you suggested using the aux for the navi touch. But i have the bose system without the amp, so i am curious if the 4 channel voice module would sound just as good as the aux. thats the only thing thats keeping me back from ordering it.
For the mic, I soldered the leads to the mic without disconnecting the leads to the MMI. Mic works for both the MMI and Android system without hiccup. There unfortunately is no way to increase the gain.

For the mirror drop down, worked like a charm when I enabled it via the VCD cable. Its a simple check of an option that the company didn't do for some weird reason. Mirror goes back to the where it should be when back in drive and you start moving forward.

I have the normal Audi MMI system without the B/O. I personally think the Aux-in sounds far better than the voice box that is included with the system (or rather a option now). Because I use the system about 90% of the time, it works great with all prompts, however if you are listening to radio and want the prompts, you will have to use the voice module. I use my phone for data connection and stream all my music/radio so not a problem for me.

HTH
Old 11-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What Vag-Navisystems answered me.

2- Backup camera :
about your question to use another interface is not a good idea, it will have problems with our system.
We can offer you as a special offer the rear camera for free as you come from our friend Robert, and will work as you can see in our youtube video: check minute 1:10 to 1:30

If you want overlayed image then you need highline camera set genuine, but price is 550€

And about your questions
The camera use the standard MMI video, or it will show inside the navitouch system? It's connected to the navitouch system
Does the steering wheel's buttons operate normally inside the MMI? you don't lose any original fucntion from the car, the navitouch it's full operated through the touchsreen.
Robert found out how to have a little of control on android with steering wheel's button. Does Navitouch support this feature? Still not, it's a Robert add on system, maybe in a future we plan to implement it.

Do you guys have plan to update the Android's Version? not right now, 4.2.2 is very stable version for most apps in car and newer versions will perform in a more CPU demand or RAM so we think is not needed to update for now. But we're working to update in 4.4 kitkat in near future.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

mroberte Can i install the Ebay Rear-View Camera with a relay like you did?
Maybe even won't be necessary since i have a 1.8 engine and have no recalls for it.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

@JJLA, you will want to only use their camera since othres will most likely not work. It will give you backup trajectory just like the stock system along with moving the lines with the steering angle. You can't use the Ebay camera with this system. The relay is only needed if you have the newer Audi software. I'm not sure if the ebay camera needs it as I don't use it. The VAG system will need the relay only if the audi update has been done.

As for updated OS, personally I don't really see a need for a newer version of the Android OS. 4.2.2 is very stable and everything works with the system. What I'd really like to see is some bluetooth dongle support put into the config files of the OS if they do the 4.4 update. Currently BT is not supported at all and haven't found a solution for it. For OBD input, I use a Wifi dongle to get the info on screen.

As for the Steering wheel controls, I'm working with the company to find a cheap solution, however there really isn't much out there - no one has cracked the canbus/lin code to allow more of the buttons on the steering wheel to be used. As stated, only the vol + - and mute work. So far what I have in my car is fairly custom and costly for the added benefit - well worth it tho as I'd rather keep my eyes on the road.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Santa is arriving early! Just got a Catted Downpipe! Should be delivered soon!

Quick Reply: My A3 Journey/Build (B16 Ride Control Arrived today!)