Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 09:36 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

My A3 Journey/Build (B16 Ride Control Arrived today!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mroberte
Just added a bunch of items, made some adjustments and lowered the front of the car a tad over the Christmas holiday weekend. Still looks stock for the most part. Took it back out to Laguna Seca and the brakes did a great job of stopping the car, however they did get a little spongy/soft after the end of the first session. The Motul RBF600 fluid is great however might need to find something even higher if its even made. The Intercooler did its job of keeping temperatures great as I didn't notice any heat soak which was nice and consistent for power output.

My AWE Exhaust is being replaced under warranty as its rattling like crazy. Seems like something in the muffler is loose or broken and its creating the metal/metal noise. Hoping they send the new one very soon to get the car back up and running without it sounding like a piece of junk.

Another forum member also found a newer Android system which I might swap out as its built specifically for this car and reads canbus, the major downfall of my current system. Will be later in the year if I do decide to go this route.

CTS Turbo Inlet
CTS Turbo Intercooler
ECS Turbo Blanket
Two Coilpack replacements
Denso IKH24 Spark Plugs
Removed and Returned Spulen Catch Can (causing problems)

https://youtu.be/GSTG75caDDk
You set a speed limit on your car too? I heard it go off as you drove on the track.

You pimping the ride out right I see.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gamegenie
You set a speed limit on your car too? I heard it go off as you drove on the track.

You pimping the ride out right I see.
That was the speed alert, which was set at 85mph, however the second session I raised it to 100mph. I was getting to about 140 on the main straight away. I'm completely blown away (falling back in love) with the car and its output. The Intercooler made such a huge improvement on the engines output! Also changing the bad coilpack helped to actually make spark when needed as the first time out I was getting misfires which I thought was because of heat soak - just plug #4 was bad.

Just note: If you do wrap your downpipe, the exhaust temperature will be very very hot on a track day. I ended up melting a plastic vent piece in the trunk area, along with my license plate holder (it needs to be replaced anyway with something metal).

Last edited by mroberte; 12-29-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

After finally getting this primed, painted and buffed, putting on the new bumper today! Will post pics in a lil.
Attached Thumbnails My A3 Journey/Build (B16 Ride Control Arrived today!)-img_20170207_172942.jpg   My A3 Journey/Build (B16 Ride Control Arrived today!)-img_20170206_122848.jpg  
Old 02-10-2017, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

New Front End Fridays! (Err Saturday technically) RS3 bumper on and loving the new aggressive front!
Attached Thumbnails My A3 Journey/Build (B16 Ride Control Arrived today!)-img_20170210_144655.jpg   My A3 Journey/Build (B16 Ride Control Arrived today!)-img_20170210_144648.jpg  
Old 02-22-2017, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks amazing!
Old 05-28-2017, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Short update, ECS catch can and rear S3 Rotors and Brake Calipers with EBC yellow pads. 35K service (Haldex) coming up soon - growing up so quick!
Old 10-05-2017, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I was thinking the same thought. It MUST affect wheel balance since there is a 1632 battery in it and that's weight to start with. And given that it must be more than that wide, it must also be flexing the tire stem that it is mounted on, potentially causing that to crack and leak prematurely. No problems in the short term, but I'd really like to see if a dynamic balance machine said otherwise. And, how the tire stems held up over 5-10 years.

I'd also wonder when some "pretty pretty shiny shiny, me take!" numbuts tried to unscrew them anyway, locking washer or no washer. Would that destroy the tire stem? I'd rather lose a sensor than have to have the tire changed, unmounted, restemmed.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Happy New Year all, some new things coming down the line for 2018!

Stage 3 DBV2 Hybrid IS28 Turbo Upgrade
Eurodyne Tuned
Bent my rims on the highway so got bigger 245/35/20 tires. Slight rubbing on the rear, but think I just need to remove the inner fender lining... or roll the fenders.
Plastidipped the rims too which I'm really happy with the results. Now just need to get the chrome trim blacked out.
Finally got the OEM side skirts painted, now just need to install them.
Upgraded the catch can to a full PCV plate delete. Went with CTS. The ECS did an incredible job of doing its job tho. Some other issues with the engine might be causing some excessive crank baffling.

Last edited by mroberte; 01-08-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mroberte
Happy New Year all, some new things coming down the line for 2018!

Stage 3 DBV2 Hybrid IS28 Turbo Upgrade
Eurodyne Tuned
Bent my rims on the highway so got bigger 245/35/20 tires. Slight rubbing on the rear, but think I just need to remove the inner fender lining... or roll the fenders.
Plastidipped the rims too which I'm really happy with the results. Now just need to get the chrome trim blacked out.
Finally got the OEM side skirts painted, now just need to install them.
Upgraded the catch can to a full PCV plate delete. Went with CTS. The ECS did an incredible job of doing its job tho. Some other issues with the engine might be causing some excessive crank baffling.

mroberte how's your suspension with those 20"s, did you have the sport suspension equipped on your A3 when you got it?

I'm contemplating dumping 18"s for 19"s but I'd hate to sacrifice ride comfort as I'm already on the Sports suspension.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gamegenie
mroberte how's your suspension with those 20"s, did you have the sport suspension equipped on your A3 when you got it?
I'm contemplating dumping 18"s for 19"s but I'd hate to sacrifice ride comfort as I'm already on the Sports suspension.
@gamegenie,

Depends on really the tire. I originally had the Sumitomo's and they were a great tire at first, but I just kept having issues with them as the tires wouldn't balance (later learned this was an issue with Sumitomo's in general). I know have the Nankangs and they are doing quite well, especially for their very cheap price. I originally had the non-sport springs, but immediately changed to Bilstein Coilovers which are electronically controlled, very similar to Audi's MagRide suspension but more aggressive. So the ride quality didn't necessarily get worse, but I could feel things more along with being more cautious with potholes, bad roads, etc.

Going up to 19 will be good and is a nice balance. I still use my 18's for the track, weight savings and tire costs, but aesthetically I love the larger 20 inch rims and it filling the wheel wells. If you do go up in size, its not at all a huge difference in ride comfort, but that also has a big influence with the tires you choose. I use Kumho PS91's and like them alot and are quiet. The Sumitomos were quieter than the stock continentals by a huge margin. The nankangs are a few ticks quieter than the stock Conti's but slightly louder than the sumitomos. HTH

Quick Reply: My A3 Journey/Build (B16 Ride Control Arrived today!)