Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

My Build (that I've been promising)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Build (that I've been promising)

I know this site is mostly an S3 crowd but it was the first Audi Forum I found and I've learned a ton here so I appreciate y'all letting my TDI play in your sandbox.

I looked at purchasing a Golf GTI, Golf R, A3 and S3. The issue is I drive 131 miles round trip a day for work and being a family man I couldn't justify going up on car payment and doubling my gas bill. I sold my Tacoma when I acquired my current job for a Camry Hybrid because $165 a week in gas could be much better spent on my kids education. Talk about NO FUN to drive......get in a Camry. After driving the Camry for a year and loathing it I went on hunt for something that balanced MPG and "fun to drive" which landed me where I am today. Don't get me started on diesel gate either! lol

This is her the day I brought her home.

I've modded every car I've ever owned and I alway start with the stereo and then move to performance and then tires, wheels, etc. I do as much as I can on my own but suspension and serious performance work I leave to the professionals.

First thing I did was look into changing out the head unit in the car. Let's face it the non B&O 10 speaker MMI system is just blah! I also need more than just a treble, bass & sub ****! After finding out changing out the MMI system is not a good thing I added a Kicker IQ 1000 watt 5 channel amp that has its own EQ. I can plug my laptop in and set the EQ for every speaker. I love it. I then disconnected the tiny factory sub and installed a 12" JL audio sub. I'm not looking for people to hear me drive by, I just like good punchy bass when I listen to music.

I installed the amp under the passenger seat but actually might move it to the trunk area.

Put the sub in a small box and added a false wall. I lose about 7" of trunk space but I don't use this car to haul things around. I might actually change this up again soon too. Put it in a smaller removable box.

After that, like many I was annoyed that the luxury vehicle I purchase didn't have homelink installed! So I purchased it and added it in. There was no real good place for this and I know it doesn't look stock and many won't like it but it works for me.

Homelink installed but it won't open my stupid community gate cause they changed up signals!! The clip from the garage door opener holds a pamphlet that i use to extend the visor to block out the sun. lol

I then added a dash matt, weather tech floor matts and a android phone screen mirroring work around. I can't get the sound to come through which annoys me but I'm working on it.

No explanation needed.

This is the converter I used to connect to the MMI.

Mirroring in action.

I went cheap and added EzLip to the front. (hit me with all your best jokes now, I can take it).

w/out EzLip

w/EzLip

Even though this TDI is fun to drive it still needs more get up and go. I have looked everywhere for any type of performance part I can put on this thing but so far no one is making anything because it's so new. Patience is something I'm not good at so I found a Chipwerke Pro S for TDI's and 3 weeks in I LOVE it. Even took it in for the 15K check up and the dealership didn't even notice it. I did remove it and it left no trace on the TD1 which everyone was very scared about. Very easy to install once you get over the fear of voiding your warranty and blowing up your car. Driving without it to the service I realized how much more fun it is to drive with it! Once I can get a viable ECU tune I will have that done but until then I love my Chipwheke!

It just plugged into the common rail sensor very easily.

Tucked it under and away from heat (good info found on this site actually).

After all this I wasn't quite satisfied and had to beef up the shoes and handling. I had Motorsports by Reeves install Avant Garde 590s rims, on Michelin Sport 235 35ZR19 tires and KW V1 coilovers.

Really happy with the stance and overall look now.

I will do more as it's become an addiction now. I'd like to thank this forum and the many kind members who have answered all of my questions and give me inspiration as to what I did already and will do in the future. I will proof read this another day because if I don't go play with my dog she's going to drive me nuts.

With StopTech Big Brake Kit and APR Stage 1 tune

Last edited by T1no33; 03-18-2016 at 12:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ThisIsFRSH (03-31-2020)
Old 09-25-2015, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow. Great job there T1no33! Some great common sense work and the wheels and coilovers totally change the look. Impressive. Your post is well put together with some great photos. I think the forums are an awesome place as well. I've learned so much from other people's experiences. Thanks for sharing and continue to enjoy your beautiful ride!
Old 09-28-2015, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lookin' good and looking forward to your future mods!
Old 10-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! I have a TDI as well.

I've been debating doing the homelink, looks like you can buy oem retrofit now.

I hope you pave the way for us and add side assist so I can follow your lead! After the backup camera that is the only thing I'm really missing from my car that it doesn't have.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Wow. Great job there T1no33! Some great common sense work and the wheels and coilovers totally change the look. Impressive. Your post is well put together with some great photos. I think the forums are an awesome place as well. I've learned so much from other people's experiences. Thanks for sharing and continue to enjoy your beautiful ride!
Thank you brother!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fleebailey33
Looks great! I have a TDI as well.

I've been debating doing the homelink, looks like you can buy oem retrofit now.

I hope you pave the way for us and add side assist so I can follow your lead! After the backup camera that is the only thing I'm really missing from my car that it doesn't have.
Wish you all the best with your TDI. Check out TDICLUB forum as well. I learned a lot there.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea, I've been reading myself to death. Now I really just want the side assist/parking assist etc. Please post here if you find info or are able to do it.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome Pictures...Right After Emission crises I went to audi to Get S3 diesel.They did not sell me one
But Real nice car to drive.Lately have you tried your MPG after Chipwerke ,
i am really wondering about gain of MPG..
Please let me know
Old 10-22-2015, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

looking Good in white with only a rear license plate!

I miss Florida
Old 10-22-2015, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vitalen Garage
Awesome Pictures...Right After Emission crises I went to audi to Get S3 diesel.They did not sell me one
But Real nice car to drive.Lately have you tried your MPG after Chipwerke ,
i am really wondering about gain of MPG..
Please let me know
First, let me state that I drive the car with a heavy foot because I enjoy it. LoL. So before Chipwerke I was getting about 40 to 41 MPG and after installing the chip I was around 43mpg. I check it every tank using the gallons at filling up divided into miles driven (never topping the tank off) and still hit 42 to 43mpg.

I will say that the car is much smoother without the chip but much more fun to drive with it. I'm waiting for a tune to come out cause then I will do a stage 2 and put larger fuel injector nozzles into it.

It was money well spent for me.

Quick Reply: My Build (that I've been promising)