Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

My DSG almost stalled out - is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My DSG almost stalled out - is this normal?

I live in SF and hill galore. As I was at a stop sign, I let the car creep forward going up the hill and then the car bucked as if I was learning to drive a manual transmission car. Is this normal?

This transmission is quite annoying to me. I hope Audi releases some update for the sport/comfort modes. Sport holds ever gear like no tomorrow and comfort shifts gears as quick as it can. Now stalling - just disturbing.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mroberte
I live in SF and hill galore. As I was at a stop sign, I let the car creep forward going up the hill and then the car bucked as if I was learning to drive a manual transmission car. Is this normal?

This transmission is quite annoying to me. I hope Audi releases some update for the sport/comfort modes. Sport holds ever gear like no tomorrow and comfort shifts gears as quick as it can. Now stalling - just disturbing.
Happened to me also (maybe twice in the first six weeks). They're actually clutches that are engaged and disengaged mechanically via the computer. Which is a completely different setup than the torque-converter automatics. I guess the same way we can get it wrong and stall with a manual clutch, so can a computer? idk
Old 01-01-2015, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I got dropped down suddenly to 1st/2nd gear from 3rd (or 4th, wouldn't know as I was in "D"/Auto), while driving normally. Felt like sudden heavy braking. This could be dangerous in city traffic - getting rear-ended etc.

Given my 5 k service very apparently drastically changed the transmission mapping for me (and others too, as reported) I'm wondering if AoA is playing around with the mapping in the 5k service. Prior to the service, the trans mapping felt like "comfort" mode in D, while now it feels like "dynamic" - while my service manager says they didn't change anything...

Also, I'd pay anyone to enable Drive Select in my non-enabled P+ with VAG-COM. Wondering if the comfort mode results in better fuel economy
Old 01-01-2015, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in SF too, and it happened to me too in the first 1500 miles or so, I **think** the tranny was training… hasn't happened since.

Can you reproduce it at will?
Old 01-02-2015, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have about 7K+ miles on my A3 now and still need to schedule my 5K service as I just got something in the mail. The transmission lately feels as if it has learned my driving style and thinks I'm a grandma since its feels so sluggish lately. I've been putting into sport mode and changing gears manually lately as its been quite annoying.

All the praise this transmission gets, its been the weirdest experience for me.

I'll double check to see if anything/shift points are changed after my service. And yes I'd pay also to get the MMI to enable Drive select via Vagcom. I played around trying to get this enabled without any success last time (mainly needs an access code).
Old 01-02-2015, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
I live in SF too, and it happened to me too in the first 1500 miles or so, I **think** the tranny was training… hasn't happened since.

Can you reproduce it at will?
I was in daly city when it happened, will try and go to another hill and reproduce. I go home on Duboce/Market and never had an issue with that hill so caught me off guard.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mroberte
I was in daly city when it happened, will try and go to another hill and reproduce. I go home on Duboce/Market and never had an issue with that hill so caught me off guard.
Drive down the length of Dolores, lots of super steep hills, also where I first experienced this, but not any longer.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update, after my 5K maintenance, I did not notice any change in the transmission. Lately I'm now close to my 15K maintenance, the transmission is becoming very jerky. Have a bunch of items to get addressed when I send it in for service.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

My new S3 is not in yet but once it is I wouldn't hesitate to try resetting the DSG if it acts up.
It is common for modern automatic's to learn driving habits and not respond as it did when new. My C63 does the same and has a similar reset procedure.

Info at the link below says its for the VW Golf. It may also work with the Audi.

DSG Reset Procedure without VAGCOM - Conti Talk - MyCarForum.com
Old 03-30-2015, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kevin70
My new S3 is not in yet but once it is I wouldn't hesitate to try resetting the DSG if it acts up.
It is common for modern automatic's to learn driving habits and not respond as it did when new. My C63 does the same and has a similar reset procedure.

Info at the link below says its for the VW Golf. It may also work with the Audi.

DSG Reset Procedure without VAGCOM - Conti Talk - MyCarForum.com
I tried the 10 seconds throttle-press before ignition and the jerky upshift from 1st - 2nd gear when under gentle driving is gone! This is what had also gone away after my 5k service, so if there's a way to VCDS off this DSG learning permanently, that'd be great!

Quick Reply: My DSG almost stalled out - is this normal?