Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

My life with Chipwerke S3

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
So I'm too freaked out to plug it back in, I'm downloading the EPC errors and sending them to Chipwerke, see if they have an answer.

Stay tuned....
Yes, I'd be "freaked out" too; that was a really dangerous scenario you'd experienced. Thankfully you'd managed to avoid a real disaster.

I ended up going with the Neuspeed Power Module, but, for the life of me, I'm hard pressed to feel any difference in performance. I'm beginning to think that leaving the car stock, or going with a full ECU flash are the only two viable options; it all boils down to the warranty factor (TD1).

I wish you luck with your project.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the epc light will come back eventually-

i just don't feel the reward is worth the risk. tune boxes or flashed ecu's.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sdjaime
I remember wanting to pull the trigger when they had a pretty decent coupon code being accepted. Now it seems that the best price is $442 after shipping... anyone find a better deal?
I paid $399 after $50 Audi True North Club discount and it was on sale for $449
Old 07-26-2016, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Cleared Errors and took the boost down a few notches... major change for the better.

Setting is about 40% of maximum.

- Flat spots in the torque curve are gone
- Gas mileage advantage is exactly the same
- The power band goes to 6800 RPMs, much better than stock, the power drop right before redline is gone (very cool), - (I assume this is achieved by allowing the turbo to spin longer and at higher RPMs than with the stock software)
- Best, part, no errors now!

So I call it a success, its all upside in my book... I still have considerable fear of over-stressing the engine, I know that this is controversial but my mind is unchanged that when we boost capability and then drive the car in the new range, we stress car components a little more than the engineers anticipated. If it were not for the amazing reputation of the 2.0 engine and the added engine components that the S3 received at the factory, I would never try this.

I'll update if there are any changes or if I see problems moving forward.
I installed two days ago and agree with all of your initial feedback. I turned boost down to about 50% and seems much better other than slightly jerky shifts. Wondering what your exact settings were on the two dials? Maybe we can trail and error best settings between the two of us. Still very happy with it so far.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markN1689
the epc light will come back eventually-

i just don't feel the reward is worth the risk. tune boxes or flashed ecu's.
Not a lot of risk with chipwerke, undetectable and vehicle safety parameters remained in place as evidenced by his experience. Likely a simple dial adjustment will resolve and he will continue to benefit from the unit.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Neuspeed Power Module finally came alive!

Originally Posted by hydroshock
I ended up going with the Neuspeed Power Module, but, for the life of me, I'm hard pressed to feel any difference in performance.
Okay, I've waited a week to post this just to make sure, because the result came right out of the blue at approximately the 40-mile mark: I'm now realizing a significant power gain at WOT and the shifts are fast and precise.

Every other aspect of the car is the same under normal driving conditions, but the real drama begins when you go to boost. The car actually becomes louder and throws you back against the seat when you nail it from the standing start; It's also more fun on the thruway when you need to untie a few knots along the way.

One important thing I've noticed is that the shifts can be delayed when traction-control is active. The shifts become smooth as silk once you turn the TC off.

Enjoy!
Old 07-27-2016, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thats really interesting that traction control affected smoothness of shifts. I will also drive mine for a few more days to see if the vehicle better adjusts to the plug in.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rismith2
Not a lot of risk with chipwerke, undetectable and vehicle safety parameters remained in place as evidenced by his experience. Likely a simple dial adjustment will resolve and he will continue to benefit from the unit.
Yeah, as scary as it was, I agree - the car is protected (although bad shifting is wear-and-tear on the tranny).
Old 07-28-2016, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So the website FAQ states, when a CEL or 'limp mode' is initiated:
"Due to manufacturer-determined serial tolerances, the power output of ChipWerke might be too high. However, you can easily correct it yourself by adjusting the rotary control switch in just a few steps."

Here are my present settings, I will now turn them down to the lowest setting and drive for a while. Stand by...
Attached Thumbnails My life with Chipwerke S3-img_6916.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I heard back from tech support (they got back to me in less than an hour) and gave me new settings, (Dial 1 set to 2 and Dial 2 set to 1), the power increase is less, but still obvious and after 200 miles no errors or weirdness, even the shifts are better.

This works well for me since all I wanted was a moderate increase in efficiency and power.

I'll leave it at this setting unless I have more issues. I'll keep y'all posted.

Quick Reply: My life with Chipwerke S3