Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

New Guy - price question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy - price question?

Hello all. I went and test drove an S3 today...really liked it.

So what should I be paying? The one I drove was the Prestige package, seemed to have most options, and stickered at $49,900. The dealer was very quick to offer me $47,900. Is that in the ballpark or is there a bit more wiggle room? I thought about calling him back and offering him $47,000 but I figured I would let him sit on it for a couple days.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Try 8% off and Audi Care

Originally Posted by coreyl

So what should I be paying? The one I drove was the Prestige package, seemed to have most options, and stickered at $49,900. The dealer was very quick to offer me $47,900. Is that in the ballpark or is there a bit more wiggle room? I thought about calling him back and offering him $47,000 but I figured I would let him sit on it for a couple days.
I heard from members buying at $4000 off sticker.
Also try negotiate Audi Care into the deal. This may be worth more to you than the dealer.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! I have been looking on truecar at a few different regions and I think $47,000 might be a decent deal.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the guy who just got $4k off on an A3 Cab, plus $750 audi loyalty (as I had an Audi), plus financed through Audi financial so they'll make my first payment. Based on the TrueCar price reporting curves, my deal put me in the very bottom bar of reported sales -- that suggests on that car, there wasn't much more room. For the S3, the bars are a bit more closely grouped on TrueCar, and getting a full $4k off may not be possible. But plenty of people have purchased for $3k+ off MSRP.

I think it's going to depend on how many dealers you have in your area, how popular the option package is you want on the car (I bought a less popular configuration), how long the particular car you want has been in inventory, and whether you can catch the dealer in the last few days of a bad sales month where they're motivated to get a minimum profit sale done to boost their car count for the month.

One thing that's worked for me is to go onto cars.com and find an out of area dealer with an advertised sale price on a comparably equipped car. You can take that to your dealer and ask them to match it. It's basically how I got the deal above. Right now there's a posted Prestige S3 in California for just about $3k under MSRP. If the CA dealer can sell it at that price, your dealer can too. They just might not want to.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I paid 47,500 on a 50,050 MSRP and got them to throw in Audi Care. According to all the pricing sites I got a very good deal. I've not had a single moment of deal pricing regret. If you van get 3k off you've made a good deal.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikele
I paid 47,500 on a 50,050 MSRP and got them to throw in Audi Care. According to all the pricing sites I got a very good deal. I've not had a single moment of deal pricing regret. If you van get 3k off you've made a good deal.
Kool, I will call him tomorrow and tell him I will come pick it up if he takes $47K and see if he jumps.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kool, I will call him tomorrow and tell him I will come pick it up if he takes $47K and see if he jumps.
Make sure you talk out the door price, not MSRP. There's too many ways for them to jack the price back up on you, e.g. trying to get you to pay a freight charge in addition to the delivery charge baked into the MSRP. So you might say $47k plus tax, title, tags and whatever their dealership's published processing fee is, and not a penny more for anything else. Make sure you know all those numbers for your state / city so that you can call them out on BS.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So after much back and forth, the out the door price is $47,283. I told him I wanted to mull it over for the night, but I will probably go pick it up tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you are on the east coast you may want to try the dealership I got a 10% discount off MSRP plus Audi loyalty last month. This was on a 3.0T Q5 where there's more supply than the S3 you are looking at but might be worth a call. All done by email and phone, and they delivered - so I never went to their dealership. PM for details.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4forDC
If you are on the east coast you may want to try the dealership I got a 10% discount off MSRP plus Audi loyalty last month. This was on a 3.0T Q5 where there's more supply than the S3 you are looking at but might be worth a call. All done by email and phone, and they delivered - so I never went to their dealership. PM for details.
Thanks!

But I already caved

Quick Reply: New Guy - price question?