Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

New owner with some thoughts and questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner with some thoughts and questions.

Just got my A3 Yesterday, the dealer really wanted to get rid of the 2015s so made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I got the Premium Plus with NAV, B&O.

Three things that it didn't have that I wished it did were backup camera, homelink, and side assist.

From the forums it seems like it is going to be fairly easy to add the first two.

However very little information on adding parking sensors or side assist. Has anyone been able to do this and figure it out for the a3?

Overall I love the car and just getting used to it!
Old 08-30-2015, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

So your A3 doesn't have the Driver Assistance package. Plenty of folks have installed the ebay backup camera kits from China for about $250. There is also a clever Android touch screen retrofit display / interface that includes backup camera that is available for about $800. It works with MMI and your existing Nav.

I don't think many have retrofitted parking sensors or side assist. The front and rear bumpers would have 8 sensors installed in the bumper covers and front grill. You would also need wiring harness and modules that connect to these sensors. Side assist has led display by mirrors showing side traffic alert. Then after the hardware is installed, the software of the car needs to be programmed. This would be an expensive retrofit. Not sure even the dealer would do this one. Keep on looking as over time more retrofit kits will become available.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I saw the one from China, will probably do that. I saw this for homelink and it looks genius.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...utton-2876455/

I guess I can live without the side assist, will be curious to see what comes up. The parking wont even be a big deal with the camera.

2 other odd things.

1. I am suprised car doesn't lock automatically when you leave it, my wifes mazda with keyless entry does.
2. The options for the star button? on the steering wheel are limiting. Wish you could add more commands. Like switch between GPS/Radio
Old 08-30-2015, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fleebailey33
Yea, I saw the one from China, will probably do that. I saw this for homelink and it looks genius.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...utton-2876455/

I guess I can live without the side assist, will be curious to see what comes up. The parking wont even be a big deal with the camera.

2 other odd things.

1. I am suprised car doesn't lock automatically when you leave it, my wifes mazda with keyless entry does.
2. The options for the star button? on the steering wheel are limiting. Wish you could add more commands. Like switch between GPS/Radio
1. If you have Advanced Key option, it allows you to lock by touching the front handles (little square on handles). Audi will also auto-lock when you begin driving. No auto-lock when you walk away. If the car is locked and you unlock with remote, it will re-lock after a timeout if you don't open the doors.

2. Yes. I use mine for drive select. Don't forget about using voice command. You can say "navigation". You can say "radio". You can say "preset 1". You can say a station number or band. There are many voice commands.

You need to read the manual twice...