Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

New year; new Stage

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New year; new Stage

I will be taking my S3 to the Toy Barn in Dublin, OH for the installation of an APR downpipe on my current Stage I S3. After the installation, the ECU will be reflashed to Stage 2. So looking forward to this. Really wish I could have had the work done months ago instead of the dead of winter however. APR made the downpipes available then they immediately showed them on back order everywhere. No clue why. The car is very peppy with Stage I but according to other Stage 2 owners, it will soon pull like a freight train. Car is almost 2.5 years old now with the odometer just touching 20K miles. No issues since getting Stage I tune nor the TCU tune. Simply love this car. Having the extra power in the winter won't be particularly useful in Ohio but when springtime rolls around and the summer wheels/tires go back on the car................well................ :-)
Old 01-09-2017, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Downpipe installed, ECU flashed today. Whoa. All I can say. DO NOT do this if you're offended by a mildly louder exhaust note and extra power. I'm quite happy with that however. Car went from silly fast to stupid fast. Nice feeling to have the extra power on tap. The dealership which did the install and flash was top notch. I will go there for any non warranty work. However, it was really difficult to not drool over the Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches and McLarens in the showroom. Stage 2 is also not cheap. Install was about $400 on top of the downpipe price but the flash was included. Very pleased. Now just waiting for the nice spring weather and a swap to my summer wheels/tires.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Toy Barn always has a cool selection of cars. Congrats on the mods! They are quite tempting.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Downpipe installed, ECU flashed today. Whoa. All I can say. DO NOT do this if you're offended by a mildly louder exhaust note and extra power. I'm quite happy with that however. Car went from silly fast to stupid fast. Nice feeling to have the extra power on tap. The dealership which did the install and flash was top notch. I will go there for any non warranty work. However, it was really difficult to not drool over the Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches and McLarens in the showroom. Stage 2 is also not cheap. Install was about $400 on top of the downpipe price but the flash was included. Very pleased. Now just waiting for the nice spring weather and a swap to my summer wheels/tires.
How many HP are you pulling? Im picking up a 2016 this week and thinking about going straight to stage 2.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

After reviewing the APR data online and speaking with technicians after the install, I understand I should be between 375 to 385 HP at this point. Not 100% sure from the APR data if their larger intercooler is required to achieve the 385 mark. This is with the high torque / 93 octane tune. Low torque tune or lower octane rating tune will affect the numbers of course. I just know this is an absolute beast now. But it still retains its calm qualities when you want it. EXCEPT that it will be louder. No denying that. Not annoyingly so but changing the downpipe will make the car generate more noise.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After reviewing the APR data online and speaking with technicians after the install, I understand I should be between 375 to 385 HP at this point. Not 100% sure from the APR data if their larger intercooler is required to achieve the 385 mark. This is with the high torque / 93 octane tune. Low torque tune or lower octane rating tune will affect the numbers of course. I just know this is an absolute beast now. But it still retains its calm qualities when you want it. EXCEPT that it will be louder. No denying that. Not annoyingly so but changing the downpipe will make the car generate more noise.
Thanks for the info! I picked up a 2016 S3 from Atlanta last night and made them throw in the CPO warranty. I hate to void it but I knew when I bought the car that I wanted to go stage 2 and likely stage 3 when they finish building our house and I can throw more $$$ at it. My plan was to purchase an ATS-V 464 HP but my friends are all complaining about the CUE system and other squeaks and quirks the cars have. We are past and current Audi owners and it was the next best fit for what Im wanting and why I bought the 16 over the new 17 with dash upgrades. Would you do it all again with APR or another? Anything I should be on the lookout for
Old 01-13-2017, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

While I was waiting on the downpipe install for my S3 the other day, I was talking to another customer. He has a 2011 CTS-V and has made several upgrades. Huge HP there. We also discussed the ATS-V and some of its 'issues'. This guy liked my Audi but was clearly a GM person. Understand the ATS is pretty tight inside too. S3 isn't large obviously but fits me quite well.

Stage 3 is certainly big bucks. Larger turbo and a lot of other pieces. I don't see that upgrade on my radar. I would recommend you try Stage 2 and see if you can be content with that. With the Quattro and the car weight, you will be pleasantly surprised. Don't think the 500 HP or so from Stage 3 would be useful for me. Depends on your application however. LOL. Granted you crazed Atlanta drivers might find it handy on your daily commutes!

I would certainly go the APR route again. Not trying to be an APR fan boy but everything has worked as advertised for me so far. There are other products available as well obviously. Can't think of anything to look out for. The police perhaps?
Old 01-13-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

While I was waiting on the downpipe install for my S3 the other day, I was talking to another customer. He has a 2011 CTS-V and has made several upgrades. Huge HP there. We also discussed the ATS-V and some of its 'issues'. This guy liked my Audi but was clearly a GM person. Understand the ATS is pretty tight inside too. S3 isn't large obviously but fits me quite well.

Stage 3 is certainly big bucks. Larger turbo and a lot of other pieces. I don't see that upgrade on my radar. I would recommend you try Stage 2 and see if you can be content with that. With the Quattro and the car weight, you will be pleasantly surprised. Don't think the 500 HP or so from Stage 3 would be useful for me. Depends on your application however. LOL. Granted you crazed Atlanta drivers might find it handy on your daily commutes!

I would certainly go the APR route again. Not trying to be an APR fan boy but everything has worked as advertised for me so far. There are other products available as well obviously. Can't think of anything to look out for. The police perhaps?
I appreciate the communication. There doesnt appear to be a lot of information sharing here or at least on a limited amount of threads.

I actually live in Charlotte but had to go to Atl to get the one I wanted. There are a few APR dealers around here so Im going to go by and talk with them. Im definitely on board with them and want to get started with the mods. Youre right about the stage 3. Not needed and probably over zealous. This is just going to be a toy of sorts with some limited or should say spirited DD duties. I want to eventually make this a track car.

Ive always been a GM fan at heart but they are too plastic and dont have the feel that a Euro car has. Funny I say Im a GM fan but I always end up owning VW's and Audi's, aside from the few Ram 2500 trucks Ive owned in the last several years. The Caddy would be a novelty but likely not what I really wanted. Its just hard to beat an Audi and I love the S3.

Thanks again for the info and keep me posted on the changes!
Old 01-21-2017, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, if willing to do stage 1, might as well do stage II from the get go. I did stage 1 on my A4, then stage II, then full blown big turbo GTxRS lol... on my veedubs, just did stage II on the GLI and Bug.... fun stuff.