Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
Hi guys, we at Carista have just launched a new feature that checks whether your car is affected by this emissions fiasco.

Now, most of you here probably already know, but still, tell your friends please
Volkswagen & Audi emissions issues | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization
I trust you will updating this frequently as the ongoing investigations by the various government agencies proceed with other models and engines.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smooth 1
IT's not the act itself, it's the business philosophy, and how being HUGE corporations that employ thousands and generate billions....and it's still not enough. They just out right lied to every 2.0 Diesel buyer. This isn't just VW..your right. It's ALSO VW NOW!!!! This is a growing issue that is surfacing in many different ways.

I'm not ok with "if everyone is doing it" mentality either.
I didn't say if everyone is doing it its ok BUT they could have lied to me about the emissions on my S3 and I would not have cared, just being honest and I think if most were honest, they would admit that when they looked at the specs of 2.0D, they didn't look at emissions and if they did, they didn't remember the numbers when this news story came out.

BUT they broke the law and they should pay for that, as should every automaker that does something like this.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right, no one "looks at" the emissions...because we all assume the cars are "clean" and pass the pertinent emissions standards. We buy the diesel because of the performance/mpg characteristics we find within the "clean" emissions framework.

So we're relying on the company's statements that the various engines are all comparable from a tailpipe standpoint, and the better mpg you get, the more "clean" the car is overall.

How'd that work out?
Old 10-01-2015, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RH Goodguy
You're right, no one "looks at" the emissions...because we all assume the cars are "clean" and pass the pertinent emissions standards. We buy the diesel because of the performance/mpg characteristics we find within the "clean" emissions framework.

So we're relying on the company's statements that the various engines are all comparable from a tailpipe standpoint, and the better mpg you get, the more "clean" the car is overall.

How'd that work out?
Good arguments, yeah I don't necessarily disagree, I just don't think crucifying VW alone is right and making an example out of them when everyone is doing this (see my next post to this thread) the entire situation needs to be re-evaluated, at least in the US market.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wide range of cars emit more pollution in realistic driving tests, data shows | Environment | The Guardian

I wanna see the numbers on a Prius gas engine - those people seem to be constantly be flooring the gas pedal, at least in the Bay Area.

A car on rollers, with no air-flow and no mass to get moving will always create different emissions, this whole thing is starting to seem stupid - to me at least. I wish the media would educate as well as it dramatizes.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I trust you will updating this frequently as the ongoing investigations by the various government agencies proceed with other models and engines.
Yes, of course, that's the plan
Old 10-01-2015, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

While cars on rollers during a test may provide different results on the road, the fact is VAG admits to unlawfully rigging the software to pass the emissions tests and disbling it on the road to improve performance. No matter how you feel about the law or the testing procedures, it doesn't change the fact that they have admitted to deliberately misleading the agencies and their customers around the world. If other companies have done it too, it doesn't change VAG's culpability or make it right or legal. This is no small deal.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
While cars on rollers during a test may provide different results on the road, the fact is VAG admits to unlawfully rigging the software to pass the emissions tests and disbling it on the road to improve performance. No matter how you feel about the law or the testing procedures, it doesn't change the fact that they have admitted to deliberately misleading the agencies and their customers around the world. If other companies have done it too, it doesn't change VAG's culpability or make it right or legal. This is no small deal.
I agree and disagree.

Its a smaller deal if they pushed the software a small percentage (e.g. manslaughter versus man 1) to allow emissions pass grade on rollers AND by this argument, its a big deal if they pushed it really far, especially if the car could never pass an emissions test without the soft are manipulation (Premeditated Man 1 [in my analogy]).

Yes, law was broken, but to be legalistic about it doesn't make sense, there needs to be a point on the spectrum that indicates the degree of deception in-order to arrive at the the correct punishment.

I agree, nothing they can do right no seems to indicate that it was 'right' or 'legal'.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

We are not speaking to degrees of illegality here - we'll leave that to the agencies, lawmakers and justice departments involved to determine. It is the trust broken by a company that has long had the respect of the buying public through its deception and apparent cover up. No matter how large a financial hit or what legal measures may be imposed on VAG around the world, it will take some time for it to fully regain the trust of its most loyal supporters, the loyal, repeat customers of their products.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Engine Shortfall Pushed Volkswagen to Evade Emissions Testing

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/05/bu...pgtype=article

Quick Reply: NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall