Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

It wasn't a shortfall of engines, it was because they only discovered they wouldn't pass emissions testing after spending years and millions in development.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Yeah, like that - if that's true, it really is big and they are probably alone in the Auto Industry. Ouch.

I'll still buy Audis though.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Told Ja:

Four more carmakers join diesel emissions row | Environment | The Guardian
Old 10-10-2015, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

While this may be accurate, the article also states "There is no evidence of illegal activity (on the other brands), such as the use of defeat devices as used by Volkwagen." This would set VAG apart form the other potential offenders as to intent and would affect the punishments.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
While this may be accurate, the article also states "There is no evidence of illegal activity (on the other brands), such as the use of defeat devices as used by Volkwagen." This would set VAG apart form the other potential offenders as to intent and would affect the punishments.
Agreed.

But it is just a matter of time till they find software 'tweaks' done by other manufacturers. Again, this doesn't lower the moral plumb line but having a vehicle in acceleration, under load, forced airflow into the motor, make it tough to meet standards measured on rollers, just a not real-world test, seem like every company would need to tweak their software... my opinion is that VW went too far AND got caught.

More to come on this I'm sure.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's not that a manf. tweaks their software to pass the tests, it's when they cheat by removing the tweaks afterward. While it's possible that other manf. have engaged in this type of cheating, I suspect not many of them are as dumb as VAG to think they would get away with it. Unless it's reported down the road that any other manf. is caught having deliberately done this, it's innocent until proven guilty.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It's not that a manf. tweaks their software to pass the tests, it's when they cheat by removing the tweaks afterward.
Yeah, that's better stated than how I said it.

Last edited by arU4ic; 10-12-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford Faces Trial on MPG Estimates as Judge Refuses to Toss Suit - Bloomberg Business

I feel much better now that the manufacture of BOTH our cars are being sued for fraud.
We tow a Ford Cmax behind our motor home.
Ford has already sent us 2 "Goodwill" checks, they didn't work , I dought the Goodwill cards from VW will change the attitude of very many of the VW/Audi diesel owners.
The TDI was on our short list, sure glad it didn't make the cut
Old 11-17-2015, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by abjb
Ford Faces Trial on MPG Estimates as Judge Refuses to Toss Suit - Bloomberg Business

I feel much better now that the manufacture of BOTH our cars are being sued for fraud.
We tow a Ford Cmax behind our motor home.
Ford has already sent us 2 "Goodwill" checks, they didn't work , I dought the Goodwill cards from VW will change the attitude of very many of the VW/Audi diesel owners.
The TDI was on our short list, sure glad it didn't make the cut
I think it's a 50/25/25 (ish) split. My brother ordered his 'sorry we lied" rebate and was completely 'cured', but obviously there will be two other groups, one that is righteously pissed (but shouldn't take the money if they really believe in their cause) and the last group is impossible to make happy about anything and just love the drama and want something to bitch about, which, btw, will of of-course take the pay-off.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

...others have been caught in the past for similar issues. link to old one below. if you search, you will find others.

http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production...nts/defeat.pdf

Quick Reply: NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall