Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall

4 cylinder VW and Audi diesels affected, including 2015 A3 Diesel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/bu...ware.html?_r=0

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 09-18-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

From EPA:

09/18/2015: EPA, California Notify Volkswagen of Clean Air Act Violations
Old 09-19-2015, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This baffles me, it almost doesn't seem like it's real. Why would an automaker (in such a high profile, highly regulated and scrutinized industry) take such a huge risk that could be discovered so easily that even the quacks at the International Council on Clean Transportation could find it?
Old 09-20-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It is baffling that with the risk being so high in terms of fines and credibility to do this. That when the OBD testing device is connected that pollution control is on, and when unplugged it turns off so to say. We are waiting for VW / Audi explanation...
Old 09-20-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default VW Press Release Today

Wolfsburg, 2015-09-20

Statement of Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, CEO of Volkswagen AG:

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board (EPA and CARB) revealed their findings that while testing diesel cars of the Volkswagen Group they have detected manipulations that violate American environmental standards.

The Board of Management at Volkswagen AG takes these findings very seriously. I personally am deeply sorry that we have broken the trust of our customers and the public. We will cooperate fully with the responsible agencies, with transparency and urgency, to clearly, openly, and completely establish all of the facts of this case. Volkswagen has ordered an external investigation of this matter.

We do not and will not tolerate violations of any kind of our internal rules or of the law.

The trust of our customers and the public is and continues to be our most important asset. We at Volkswagen will do everything that must be done in order to re-establish the trust that so many people have placed in us, and we will do everything necessary in order to reverse the damage this has caused. This matter has first priority for me, personally, and for our entire Board of Management.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't do it, I don't know how it happened and it will never happen again..

Think I have heard this soliloquy before.....someplace...
Old 09-20-2015, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am furious but ….

…. withholding judgement until the full facts are revealed. It seems almost surreal that VW would try this. Audi barely (!) survived the unintended acceleration debacle back in 1986. The public lost faith and Audi NA nearly folded. Even though it turned out to be mostly driver error, the harm took years to repair, changed the pedal placement to make heel and toe downshifting more difficult and rattled the industry. I have had nine Audis and two VW's so I consider myself a faithful acolyte of the marque.

But now this… I understand the dilemma; the stricter emissions reduce both power AND fuel economy. In addition, the diesel fuel in the U.S. is "dirtier" that in Europe which poses additional engineering challenges. These are not excuses, so I await a more complete investigation.

The immediate result is an even faster depreciation of VW/Audi cars. I am damn glad I have a lease and my residual is fixed. Maybe some real good deals on Taureg TDI's (I know, six cylinder, but the public will flee).

More to follow I am sure…

Eric
Old 09-21-2015, 04:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny. My brother has a 2014 passat tdi, used to get 40mpg all day, took the car for service, they updated the ecu, car started to get high 20s. Took it back, vw hooked up some module to check mpg, long story short they put the old ecu program back on.

Problem with that old program is that it causes more wear on the dpf filter and that costs a couple k to replace. This was months ago too. Not a great day for vag
Old 09-21-2015, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VW?s cheating on emissions tests goes to the heart of its US business - Business Insider

I remember the acceleration scare in the eighties and Audi going from being a great car to n one wanting them. I just got my first Audi A3 and it is a TDI. I am very disappointed upset that I was duped. I live in a state that has low pollution so I will be good, we do not check currently. But I worry if these are pulled from the market that my parts are going to become impossible to get when I need repairs and the value is going to tank.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unintended acceleration is a good analogy and makes me scratch my head even harder that they would take such a risk.

On the resale issue, thankfully its a 'software' fix, not sure it will have too much impact on blue book values

Quick Reply: NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall