Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dans3
100% agree just bought for the mpg, who cares how clean it is....of course aside from the EPA LOL
so what you are saying is you don't give a damn about clean air, the law, the fact that a Corporation lied as long as you get your mpg.
I do own an Audi, have owned Audi's since 1989 but am disgusted with the attitudes (superior ) of many Audi owners that see self interest as the only value of worth.
Very sad.

Last edited by porttac; 09-23-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

How is it that the affected owners cars have passed emissions inspections in the various states? One would think this would have been a nightmare long before now with failed inspections across the country. Is the tricked out software that smart that it can tell if the car is hooked up to a state inspection probe in the tailpipe?
Old 09-24-2015, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
How is it that the affected owners cars have passed emissions inspections in the various states? One would think this would have been a nightmare long before now with failed inspections across the country. Is the tricked out software that smart that it can tell if the car is hooked up to a state inspection probe in the tailpipe?
1) I believe the software could detect that and alter the emissions profile.
2) I believe that in many states they don't do an actual tailpipe test any longer - they plug into the OBD, which says "emissions system fine"
Old 09-24-2015, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an A3, 2.0T, I don't have a TDI, but I know friends that do..some bought at my advice. I'm ashamed of VW holdings company right now. And beginning to be more and more over big business theory in general. This company isn't the only one with this type of attitude and business philosophy. The CEO and ***'t can all apologize all they want to....plead blissful ignorance and point to the bible they were raised on. They are no different than the street thug stealing purses from little old ladies...they just wear a suit and look down on everyone.
This is what big business theory and investor boards and so on drive to make happen. Profit, profit, profit at any cost to keep the investors happy. They only pretend to be driven by costumer demand. Nike uses .30 cents an hour labor in third world poverty countries while charging TOP retail dollars, and many more follow this practice. Tyco, Mattel, and some other toy companies had the lead paint in childrens toys fiasco.. This is not new. It's just also showing up in the car market now.
Just wait until the battery disposal thing comes back for the Hybrids...another scandal in the making as we discover where they are hiding them.....
Old 09-24-2015, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2015 A3 TDI and I'm pretty upset about all this noise. I thought I was purchasing a "green" car that was fun as hell to drive. Now I'm reading things that the resale value just dropped to ZERO. I've already received 3 emails from law firms asking me to join their class action suit. It doesn't take long for vultures to come out. If they change the programming I will be pissed for sure. I do care about the air we breathe and would never buy a vehicle that had more harmful emissions then a regular car. Sigh.....

Just going to eat popcorn and watch this all unfold.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a TDI to the S3. While it was a great car, especially for traveling, I could not recommend it to anyone. I actually advised a colleague against buying one and they went with a prius.

Between exploding HPFPs to clogged DPFs and now this emissions scandal, the CR TDIs have just had too many issues even before this news broke.

I feel very lucky to be able to escape unscathed. While I did not lease mine, this is a very good reason to consider a lease as you can always just walk away.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm choosing not to be too hard on VW until someone proves that other automakers that build diesels for the US are not doing this too. I'd bet my S3 that now that this is on the radar, there will be others discovered. I am certain that there are some other CEO's getting very little sleep this week.

Last edited by arU4ic; 09-26-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They just created this page to keep customers updated.

Volkswagen Diesel Information | Volkswagen Diesel Information
Old 09-27-2015, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by T1no33
They just created this page to keep customers updated.

Volkswagen Diesel Information | Volkswagen Diesel Information
And not one word of their culpability in the statement. Not surprised since the lawyers undoubtedly would have drafted it.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess I am only one that really does not care about the entire VW trouble? Look at GM there recall with the ignition people died! also Firestone.. I think the VW issue is being blown up

Quick Reply: NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall