Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

NYTimes: For Auto Enthusiasts, the Right to Tinker With Cars’ Software

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default NYTimes: For Auto Enthusiasts, the Right to Tinker With Cars’ Software

Apparently, the US government says we now have the right to tinker with certain car software (excludes telemetrics, infotainment, and emissions). Read for yourself:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/23/bu...tomobiles&_r=0

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 11-24-2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Took out warranty comment.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, that is rather shocking
Old 11-23-2015, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I understand... this has always been the case but big business keeps trying to put the scare tactic to most of us as ignorant consumers that don't know any better. I read a post many months ago that explained these rights from a SEMA member and how manufacturers cannot void warranties.
In the end.. it's forums like this and camaraderie that helps us protect our rights as consumers.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/chipwerke-piggyback-results-2859611/page13/

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 11-23-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see anywhere in that article where it states that a manufacturer can't void the warranty.

However, its been long law and case-law that a warranty denial must show logical cause and effect. i.e. you can't have your drivetrain warranty denied because you used a non OEM windshield.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mej16489
I don't see anywhere in that article where it states that a manufacturer can't void the warranty.

However, its been long law and case-law that a warranty denial must show logical cause and effect. i.e. you can't have your drivetrain warranty denied because you used a non OEM windshield.
Maybe I took a leap of legalize, but I gather the government is saying it is not illegal to look at or modify certain software in the vehicle. The manufacturer can always deny the warranty claim and you have to go to a higher level to resolve. So it remains a grey area. At least the manufacturer can't sue you.

The entire order can be found at the US Copyright Office's website, but here's the new exemption straight from the order:

"Computer programs that are contained in and control the functioning of a motorized land vehicle such as a personal automobile, commercial motor vehicle or mechanized agricultural vehicle, except for computer programs primarily designed for the control of telematics or entertainment systems for such vehicle, when circumvention is a necessary step undertaken by the authorized owner of the vehicle to allow the diagnosis, repair or lawful modification of a vehicle function; and where such circumvention does not constitute a violation of applicable law, including without limitation regulations promulgated by the Department of Transportation or the Environmental Protection Agency; and provided, however, that such circumvention is initiated no earlier than 12 months after the effective date of this regulation."
Old 11-24-2015, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been going on for a few years. A bunch of car manufacturers are trying or have tried to stop this from passing in the past. Manufacturers argument is that the software is their intellectual property and owners cannot mess with it. However this debate has already been lost with phone manufacturers (apple in particular trying to stop people from jailbreaking).

All in all, the manufacturers wanted to use this "law" to make consumers take their cars in for repair only to dealerships, as we all know the reason for that costly tactic.

I personally signed and opposed VAG, GM, Ford and a few others from allowing this to go forward. This would be the death of a "gear head" and really the word ownership if passed.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mej16489

Nor do I think that this would be fair to the manufacturer... consumers changing parameters should void the manufacturer from being responsible for failure post alteration IMO.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And on another note...then what about factory backed racing teams? In fact..what about racing at all then? No one would be able to race anything other than a stock manufacture car?
Yeah..I don't think so...they would have to put some clause in that would be open for everyone to exploit anyway. Automakers looking to make a cake and eat it too.

And car makers are calling their software proprietary, every one of them...uses technology stolen from an aftermarket racing component company that developed technology and made their "stock" engine assemblies more efficient over the years.

And I guess aftermarket companies like AMG, Lingonfelter...etc. etc. etc. would have to go out of business. Not to mention the message the manufacturers are they themselves sending us.

Last edited by smooth 1; 11-27-2015 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This change in the law has nothing to do with a manufacturer's ability to void a warranty due to modifications to the vehicle. That has not, and will not, change.

What this law effects is an aftermarket tuner's ability to legally tune a vehicle. Until the change takes effect, a tuner can be held both criminally and civilly liable for infringing on a manufacturer's copyright.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smooth 1
And on another note...then what about factory backed racing teams? In fact..what about racing at all then? No one would be able to race anything other than a stock manufacture car?
Yeah..I don't think so...they would have to put some clause in that would be open for everyone to exploit anyway. Automakers looking to make a cake and eat it too.

And car makers are calling their software proprietary, every one of them...uses technology stolen from an aftermarket racing component company that developed technology and made their "stock" engine assemblies more efficient over the years.

And I guess aftermarket companies like AMG, Lingonfelter...etc. etc. etc. would have to go out of business. Not to mention the message the manufacturers are they themselves sending us.

and what does this premise have to do with anything? its just plain stupid. racing teams have NOTHING to do with stock cars being sold at dealers aside from trying to make customers perceive that theyll be buying cars that are as capable when obviously they would not. factory racing teams use racing parts and software in their cars. so do privateers. this has NOTHING to do with the OP.

Quick Reply: NYTimes: For Auto Enthusiasts, the Right to Tinker With Cars’ Software