Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Oil light just came on, have to drive 100 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well looks like they have already been sued with a class-action lawsuit for improper and excessive oil consumption on 2009-2011 vehicles.

Oil Consumption Settlement > mainpage > Home

And more industry wide... Excessive Oil Consumption Isn't Normal - Consumer Reports

Last edited by mroberte; 02-22-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had read several articles on the previous 2.0 l 4 cylinders used in many Audis, VWs and Skodas. Oil consumption was horrible. VW Audi group often paid for entire engine replacements. Understand they got bad rings and other internal components from various sources. I also know they worked very hard to erase that debacle from the history books. Very sorry to learn your car is going through oil quickly. Did you happen to check the level right after your last service? My car just got its 15K service and the oil level is spot on via the dipstick. I've had other cars where the oil level was under of even over filled at times during regular service work. I find that frustrating. They were not Audis but still not excusable. I check my oil level about once a month. Habit. I believe I've added a 1/2 quart total in 14K miles of driving. I bought some of the Castrol synthetic recommended by Audi. My car is a S3 with an APR stage I tune. I like spirited driving but I don't bang on it by any means.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Between my wife and I we have had 11 Audi's since 1980. Currently a '13 RS5 and a '15 S3. I have never had to add oil to any of them between 5k services. Just lucky I guess.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
I had read several articles on the previous 2.0 l 4 cylinders used in many Audis, VWs and Skodas. Oil consumption was horrible...
Like you, I kept reading article after article last night about the 4 & 6 cylinder gas engines that have been prone to oil consumption. Not the greatest to read when you have a new car. I'll start checking my oil normally like you as well now.

Originally Posted by mhblaw
Between my wife and I we have had 11 Audi's since 1980. Currently a '13 RS5 and a '15 S3. I have never had to add oil to any of them between 5k services. Just lucky I guess.
Is your service intervals at every 5K or that was just a preference? I'm thinking I will be getting normal 5K oil changes from now on.

I'm still just floored that the dealership, point blank, "Yes this is a known issue and leave a quart of oil in the car just in case." What kind of advice is that? After reading all the articles, Audi has reimbursed anyone that has complained enough of all additional oil changes between service intervals and/or completely changed the engine all together, even after the class-action lawsuit.

This car is great, but another reason why I won't be buying another VAG product in the future. Tesla can't come out with their smaller 3 car soon enough!
Old 02-23-2016, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I have always had my cars serviced at 5k intervals as a "preference". In the scheme of things, not a big deal.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My 2007 GTI has 265,000 km on it and runs like a top. It uses oil and needs a top between oil changes which I do every 16,000 km. My S3 doesn't have this issue nor does my Boxster S. Anyway you should check your oil level every few weeks and not rely on a computer.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had to laugh when I first picked up my S3 in September 2015. I understand it may be the first new model S3 in Ohio. As the sales rep was explaining things about the car, and he was very good, I asked about the dipstick location. He stated there wasn't a dipstick. Everything monitored electrically. Popped the hood and there was the dipstick. He was surprised. I've never owned a car without a way to check the oil manually. Sales rep did some research and apparently the problems Audi had with the previous 2.0 liter engines, pushed the addition of dipsticks for our current models. Just to be certain the problem was resolved of course. LOL. Again, I've put about 13K miles on my car and used very, very little oil over that period.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Fixer, can you view the oil level in the MMI system in an A3/S3?

I had a loaner A3 a couple weeks ago and could not find any way to check the oil apart from the dipstick....
Old 02-24-2016, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I doubt that "most" of this gen do

Originally Posted by mroberte
Got quart from dealer. Guy quickly stated, you should always have a quart of oil as most of audi's and particularly this gen a3/s3 burn oil. It's a known problem. Will be in for service Thursday.
I check the dipstick every couple of weeks, and my 2015 S3 hasn't burned any oil in 10 months and almost 10,000 miles. My understanding was that some earlier generation 2.0T engines had that problem, which has since been resolved. As people weigh in here, I think you'll find you're in the minority... and if it is excessive the dealer should address the issue.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default No oil is being consumed

My '15 S3 currently has 11,800 miles on odo. Changed oil at 5K service. Oil level didnt change since the last oil change. Knock on the woods this vehicle so far has been the most reliable audi I owned. Zero issues and I have been driving it pretty hard.

Quick Reply: Oil light just came on, have to drive 100 miles...