Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

opticoat

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 01:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default opticoat

what are people paying for this to be applied to their s3?
Old 10-06-2015, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
what are people paying for this to be applied to their s3?
Also interested in this information. Or CQuartz Finest. Anyone have that applied and how much? Any strong preference of one over the other?
Old 10-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the product itself isn't expensive, but if you are looking to have it done by a professional the real question is how much paint correction needs to be done prior to opticoat or cquartz application. In my area Ive seen it start around $800 (LI-NY)
Old 10-09-2015, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Keep in mind there are three variants of Opti-Coat. There's the DIY version (Opti-Coat), the Opti-Coat Pro and Opti-Coat Plus. The latter two are only available to be installed by pro detailers. The Pro is a thicker coat than the DIY version and the Plus is a separate layer applied on top of the Pro to improve the gloss and slick feel.

As deadbolt mentioned, paint prep, stripping off wax and contaminents is necessary and should be done before application. Any of the Opti-Coat products can be installed over film. Once done, while it can be waxed, it really isn't necessary. In fact, wax will only last about two weeks due to the resistant properties of the coating which allows for water (and dirt along with it) to roll off easily. I have the Pro (and recently added the Plus layer) applied and haven't had the need to wax in over three years. Car still looks showroom fresh.

$800 sounds about right including prep. Be sure to have the detailer do the wheels as well. Cuts down on the brake dust.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was quoted 695 for the car and 100 for the wheels.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear this stuff last up to 5 years in protecting the paint. Wish I put this on my car as soon as I got it last year. Before taking it through those automatic washers that love to make swirls on cars.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gamegenie
I hear this stuff last up to 5 years in protecting the paint. Wish I put this on my car as soon as I got it last year. Before taking it through those automatic washers that love to make swirls on cars.
It's hard to say how long it will last before needing reapplications. Optimum claims it is permanent unless deliberately removed. Since Opti-Coat came to market about 4-5 years ago it's too soon to hear from early adopters. Mine is just over three years old and holding up well.

While Opti-Coat may resit swirling from car wash brushes, I only use brushless if I can't wash it by hand.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It's hard to say how long it will last before needing reapplications. Optimum claims it is permanent unless deliberately removed. Since Opti-Coat came to market about 4-5 years ago it's too soon to hear from early adopters. Mine is just over three years old and holding up well.

While Opti-Coat may resit swirling from car wash brushes, I only use brushless if I can't wash it by hand.
I use brushless too, but they are not as effective as brush wash with getting the heavy dirt off. If I had Opti-Coat I would be all up in automatic washers.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gamegenie
I use brushless too, but they are not as effective as brush wash with getting the heavy dirt off. If I had Opti-Coat I would be all up in automatic washers.
An application stage of Opti-Coat is for the installer to prep the paint. They will remove all of the old wax, surface oxidation and swirls before applying the paint protection. The car will look like new again when all is done.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have been testing the DIY version on my S3 that I have had since last October 30. My first application was around December 1 of last year. I used the Zymol wax system on my past BMWs and my last A4. I am still using the Zymol on the areas that I'm not testing (using) the Opti-Coat.

So far I have used the Opti-Coat on my front (including headlights), front hood, windshield, sunroof, wheels, mirror housings, and chrome exhaust tips.

I think the product is GREAT. You have to strip off everything before the first coat, but you need to do that with most wax systems. It doesn't last forever but it is so easy to use that it really doesn't matter.

I hand wash my car about every other week. I reapply the Opt-Coat which literally takes about 5 to 10 minutes afterwards. It is super easy to put on. The results are awesome. It takes a lot to impress me when it comes to car finish treatments. I ALWAYS had an issue with the front hood of my last A4. Bird bombs, insects, rock scratches, etc... I was never thrilled with the wax treatment. Car manufacturers have taken out the VOCs in the paint to meet EPA requirements which makes the paint "softer" and easier to mar. The Opt-Coat is great. It puts a hard seal over the paint. My S3 is nearly a year old and the hood looks brand new.

I first bought it to seal the exhaust tips and then moved on from there. It works OK on the tips and wheels, but not fantastic. I would invest in a more permanent sealant at these trouble spots. The brake dust is an issue. I am thinking about ceramic brake pads.

It works 10 times better than Rain-X on the windshield, and is 10 times easier to put one.

The product is very cost effective. I bought a bottle for around $20 and I have only uses about 20 percent in the last year. You use very little each time you apply. There is a demo video on their webpage.

Also, your should NEVER, EVER put your car through a car wash. It is better to leave it dirty until you can hand wash it. In a pinch (in mid-winter) I have used the hand-held wand at self-serve car wash but I don't like that either because you don't know about the quality of the water (it is usually recycled). And, never use soap. All you need to wash is plenty of clean cool water. I haven't used soap in over 25 years. Soap strip off wax and dulls paint finishes.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: opticoat