Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Parts to retrofit non-sport A3 to sport suspension A3

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil

The sport suspension on the 2015 A3 didn't lower the ride height to the best of my observation and from what a salesperson told me. Apparently just 19in wheels, summer tires, spring rate, strut damping, and probably stabilizer bar.

Anyone know of an aftermarket kit that doesn't lower height and is very similar to sport suspension?
Your salesman is completely mistaken. You either have the sport suspension which is 15 mm lower or not.

I can tell you my story...I ordered one of the first 2015 S-line cars that did not come with sport suspension. Later when cars with sport suspension and S3 become available, I test drove them and just like you, I prefer the firmer ride. I spent a couple of years researching on aftermarket options.

Finally, after waited for 2 years for it to come out, I got the Bilstein B12 kit (Eibach prokit springs + Bilstein B8 shocks) which lower the car from 27" FTG front and back to 25.5" FTG front and back.

It is as comfortable as the A3 sport suspension, but handles much better. It is more stable and does not bounce as much. It is also much less crashy than the S3 stock suspension. It has been a month and my other half still did not notice I have upgraded the suspension (so it tells you how comfortable the setup is. The car also looks much better, it is not slammed and retains OEM look...it is just a tad lower than the standard S3 suspension. Oh, and absolutely no issue with clearance as I still go through speedbumps as if I still had the standard A3 suspension.

As you can tell from what I just said, I recommend the aftermarket route. It is much cheaper and much more justifiable. Think about it, why would you spend ~$2000 (including installation and etc...) to upgrade to something that is only worth ~$250 from the beginning. With ~$2000, you can upgrade to suspension that is even better than the S3 stock suspension. Why settle for just the A3 sport suspension.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Sport upgrade

Originally Posted by mroberte
Go the aftermarket route. The stock suspension isn't that great of an "upgrade" if you want something serious. I'd suggest MSS sport springs as it would be the best if both world's without compromising the overall comfort. Plus you can adjust the height if needed.
Not familiar with these springs but have had H&R lowering spring installed on a previous German car. For a modest investment I believe this is the best bang for the $$. Springs about $250 plus install.

Last edited by greasykid; 02-11-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the advice. If I understand correctly I should receive a noticeable improvement in handling and less roll just be replacing the springs with something like the Eibach "pro-kit spring set" that I can find on tirerack that reduces the height by "Avg. low 0.8" F & 0.4" R".
Old 02-13-2017, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
Thanks for the advice. If I understand correctly I should receive a noticeable improvement in handling and less roll just be replacing the springs with something like the Eibach "pro-kit spring set" that I can find on tirerack that reduces the height by "Avg. low 0.8" F & 0.4" R".

You will receive less roll and improved handling with the Eibach prokit. However, the quoted drop in tirerack is ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT!. Eibach USA did a terrible job getting the right information from Eibach Germany. The kit drops 0.8" F and 0.4" only for the 2.0TDI quattro with the sport suspension. This kit is also used in the S3 which drops it 10 mm (0.4") both F and R. The S3 is already 25 mm (1") lower to begin with.

Bascially, with the Eibach prokit springs, you will see a drop from 27" from your standard A3 suspension to 25.5" (1.5 inch drop).

Note, the ride is going to be harsher if you do springs only, as someone on another forum did just the Eibach springs and he did find it a bit too hard. When I suggested aftermarket in an earlier post, I meant the whole B12 kit, which has these springs + Bilstein B8 shocks. The B12 kit is already firm as it is, but the shocks can control the springs a lot better than the stock nonsport shocks. Don't expect the ride comfort to be the same as the B12 kit if you only do springs. Since you seem to care a lot about ride quality, do it right or you might need to do it twice.

VWVortex.com - Just lowered.. Eibach Pro Kit E10-15-021-13-22
Old 02-15-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I Thoroughly researched lowering springs before I installed H&R on my MB ML. H&R is a German co. For my new Q3 they lower approx 1.7 in front & rear. Most benefited are SUV because of they are higher. Big improvement in handling & still a good ride. May do this later on my Q3--just not now.