Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 factory options vs aftermarket upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3 factory options vs aftermarket upgrades

While the the Prestige is pretty loaded the Premium plus is a bit less so. $5900 difference. Closer to $6250 with tax.

I wanted to get some thoughts on the options and the availability/cost of aftermarket alternatives.

These are the semi important options that I would like.

1)heated mirrors are part of a $750 package. All I really care about from that package are the mirrors and then only the passenger side. I have heard the mirrors are prewired and that stick-on elements can be had for about $20. I save $700 or so.

2)Nav---part of the $2600 multimedia pack. Not too worried about media. A car is for driving and I have a smart phone, do like a dedicated Nav though. I guess I am wondering where I could put a stick on and not have a mess. Especially seeing as the other screen will be there. $300 get me a nice stick on unit.

3) Rearview camera--- part pf $1400 package, not too worried about parking sensors but do like the idea of the camera, if not for me for the wife. I don't want anyone else but me backing into something. I am hoping it is relatively straight forward to hook one into the existing screen. what do you guys think?

Also thinking I could get a relatively classy looking Nav/backup unit put in the vehicle. Just wish I had a better idea of the interior layout to decide where. Maybe $500 tops? $3500 difference.

Not so important to me but worth a thought:

4)B&O stereo. $850 I guess I need to try the stock system first which I hear is decent but, if I didn't like how much do you think it would cost to upgrade to something significantly better? I am guessing the B&O might be the best option out there. But since I would probably be happy with the stock.......I guess I don't need it.

5) Performance pack: like the idea of mag ride but not the "19 wheels. Thoughts?

So in conclusion, for me, when it comes to the $6250 difference between the Premium and Prestige pack I could maybe be quite happy with $500 or so in aftermarket upgrades. Assuming I can find a good place for the Nav.

I may have just made up mu own mind but please chime in.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Why not just buy a base model a3 and add a big turbo, save $5k....

It doesn't seem like you are looking for suggestions, but reasons not to buy the options.

You have to make your own decisions about those things. If you're OK with piecemealing your new car together, go for it. I personally would not buy a car to change the entire interior. That's me though. And I ordered prestige package on my s3.

Good luck in your decisions

Last edited by EGainer; 09-05-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: auto correct
Old 09-06-2014, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default hmmmm

Originally Posted by EGainer
Why not just buy a base model a3 and add a big turbo, save $5k....

It doesn't seem like you are looking for suggestions, but reasons not to buy the options.

You have to make your own decisions about those things. If you're OK with piecemealing your new car together, go for it. I personally would not buy a car to change the entire interior. That's me though. And I ordered prestige package on my s3.

Good luck in your decisions
Never thought of not getting a Nav/back up and using a portable one when needed as "changing the entire interior".

Also never consider adding a couple of very minor parts to a car as "piecemealing".

But I do agree that I have to make my own decisions. That is why I am looking for as much input as I can get to help with that. Your input is appreciated.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Actually, this is good info that just about has me sold on the MMI...and if I am going to pay $2600 for that I might go for the Prestige as well as the B&O sounds like the best value of all of the options.

AppRadioWorld: Audi Connect Brings 4G LTE Connectivity To The 2015 Audi A3
Old 09-06-2014, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Crunched some numbers...made a decision

I decided that if I were going to pay cash for the car and absolutely only had just enough for the base model I would still get the car...but since my plan involves a large down payment and payments over 5 years the extra options I (sort of) want will cost me about $110 dollars a month more in a payment, so about $3.50 a day.

Assuming I sell the car after 5 years for 50% of what I paid that comes out to only $1.75 a day. Once I factor in ALL the other costs of ownership it becomes insignificant.

Thanks for listening folks!!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by meestursparkle
Actually, this is good info that just about has me sold on the MMI...and if I am going to pay $2600 for that I might go for the Prestige as well as the B&O sounds like the best value of all of the options.

AppRadioWorld: Audi Connect Brings 4G LTE Connectivity To The 2015 Audi A3
You went 180 degrees in this conversation. If you want the technology and integration, you would probably not find a lesser cost solution than just ordering it with the car. The Prestige package is less than 15% the cost of the vehicle.

If you bought the Audi parts afterwards, it would be double the cost later.

FWIW.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree....

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
You went 180 degrees in this conversation. If you want the technology and integration, you would probably not find a lesser cost solution than just ordering it with the car. The Prestige package is less than 15% the cost of the vehicle.

If you bought the Audi parts afterwards, it would be double the cost later.

FWIW.
I did do a 180!!!

Once I took a look at the bigger picture it all became much clearer.