Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Question for A3/S3 owners before buying

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for A3/S3 owners before buying

Hi all!

I presently own a 2012 TTS. We have a baby on his way so i'm planning to sell the TTS and go with a real four places car. The 2015 S3 is very interesting but before placing an order, I want to be sure there's enough place for the booster in the back and for all other things I need in the trunk (stroller, playard, etc.)

So my question is : A3/S3 owner with babies, this car is it big enough to bring all things you need or you need a bigger second car/SUV for your trip out of town?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I own an A3 and the trunk is the smallest trunk I've ever seen in a 4 door sedan. Back seat is pretty tight too.....I dont recommend it...A4 at least! =p Wait for Q3? lol
Old 08-14-2014, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would agree with the other comments. A4 has a good size back seat for getting kids in and out of without contorting yourself. I wouldnt recommend it on the A3 (of course, my kid is starting college next week, so I'm picking up my A3 next week + 1 day ;-) ).

BTW, congrats!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by daves4
I would agree with the other comments. A4 has a good size back seat for getting kids in and out of without contorting yourself. I wouldnt recommend it on the A3 (of course, my kid is starting college next week, so I'm picking up my A3 next week + 1 day ;-) ).

BTW, congrats!
I don't own either an A3 or an A4, but have been checking out the various Audi models in advance of the lease on my A6 expiring.
The A3 has a tight back seat and a very small trunk (the A3 has 10 Cubic feet, the A4 12.4 and the A6 14.1, so, trunk room goes up 2.4 cf or 24% from A3 to A4 and only 1.7 cf or 13.7% from the A4 to the "big" A6).
To me the A4 is a better choice in terms of several factors besides space: 2.0T is standard on base and all A4's, but optional on A3; the A4 has the "big Audi" upper/lower control arm front suspension and longitudinal engine orientation, whereas the A3 has its Golf-roots strut front suspension and transverse engine; transmissions – the 8-speed Tiptronic on the A4 adds another gear and for family-type driving is probably smoother and less intrusive.
In terms of price: similarly equipped (more is standard on the A4, so fewer packages) Premium Plus A3 - $40,200 plus transportation; Premium Plus A4 - $42,600 plus transportation. The A4 is a 6% increase from the A3, but bear in mind most dealers are discounting the A4 more heavily, so the delta shrinks.
Additionally the A4 includes driver seat memory and Home Link, neither of which is available on A3 P+ models.
Congrats on the new boy!

Last edited by irenesbob; 08-14-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I don't own either an A3 or an A4, but have been checking out the various Audi models in advance of the lease on my A6 expiring.
The A3 has a tight back seat and a very small trunk (the A3 has 10 Cubic feet, the A4 12.4 and the A6 14.1, so, trunk room goes up 2.4 cf or 24% from A3 to A4 and only 1.7 cf or 13.7% from the A4 to the "big" A6).
To me the A4 is a better choice in terms of several factors besides space: 2.0T is standard on base and all A4's, but optional on A3; the A4 has the "big Audi" upper/lower control arm front suspension and longitudinal engine orientation, whereas the A3 has its Golf-roots strut front suspension and transverse engine; transmissions – the 8-speed Tiptronic on the A4 adds another gear and for family-type driving is probably smoother and less intrusive.
In terms of price: similarly equipped (more is standard on the A4, so fewer packages) Premium Plus A3 - $40,200 plus transportation; Premium Plus A4 - $42,600 plus transportation. The A4 is a 6% increase from the A3, but bear in mind most dealers are discounting the A4 more heavily, so the delta shrinks.
Additionally the A4 includes driver seat memory and Home Link, neither of which is available on A3 P+ models.
Congrats on the new boy!
Thanks for your comment but I want to stay with a S model, so there's a pretty big step in price between an S3 full equip (47,500 CAD$) vs an S4 full equip (59,700CAD$).

I understand the trunk is 10 cubic feet, I also went at the dealer to take a look at the car. I know it's a small car (but a lot bigger than my TTS). 10 cubic feet of trunk is it enough to bring a stroller and a playard with luggage?

It's my only concern before ordering! I don't want to sell my lovely TTS to buy another "no family" car !
Old 08-14-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by eltook
Thanks for your comment but I want to stay with a S model, so there's a pretty big step in price between an S3 full equip (47,500 CAD$) vs an S4 full equip (59,700CAD$).

I understand the trunk is 10 cubic feet, I also went at the dealer to take a look at the car. I know it's a small car (but a lot bigger than my TTS). 10 cubic feet of trunk is it enough to bring a stroller and a playard with luggage?

It's my only concern before ordering! I don't want to sell my lovely TTS to buy another "no family" car !
Sounds to me like too much for the trunk. I assumed you were in US, sorry. If they bring over an S3 hatch that might work better for you. Since the S4 has some stuff standard that might be optional or not available on the S3, make sure you do an apples to apples comparison. Also, just because the S4 offers adaptive suspension and sport differential it doesn't mean you have to have them - lol. You could save a few bucks on an S4 there.
In many ways you are about to enter a new and very enjoyable phase of life. It might be time to re-set priorities to make the most of the new reality. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all for your reply!
I'll reconsider my plan :/
Someone else have an experience to share regarding trunk space?
Old 08-14-2014, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by eltook
Thanks all for your reply!
I'll reconsider my plan :/
Someone else have an experience to share regarding trunk space?
I say get an Allroad on lease and if it really sucks after a year or two you will be in a better position to understand what your needs are. You can stay with it and accept the lower performance for the function it offers or trade in for a new S4, SQ3 or whatever will be out there at that time that tickles your fancy. I suspect that once the bundle of joy arrives the first year you will be getting into a lot of stuff you don't deal with now and the choice of car moves down a peg or two on the priority list. The kid's Mom is going to make you drive more cautiously anyway when baby's onboard.
OK - I am done preaching, that is it!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I love it when people who have never even driven an A3 nor really checked it out thoroughly feel like they can tell where this car is lacking. I have an A3 Prestige with Sport package and sport suspension that comes with all the body design parts that the S3 has and every option available on the car. Got it for 41K after discount. But I would still buy the S3 over the S4 based on a recent article in Car and Driver that said they don't understand why anyone would buy an aging S4 over an new S3 with better performance and newer technological advancements. A built in router and a navigation screen that makes use of Google Earth is hard to say no to just to get a car with 2 inches more legroom and less gas mileage. (Unless you really "need" that extra space.) I recently had visitors from Europe who had been traveling in the U.S. for 12 days previously. I was able to fit both their large hardsided luggage and a hard sided carry-on along with another extra bag into the trunk and still get all four of us into the car quite comfortably. (They own and Audi A5 (company car) and a hatchback A3) and felt like the U.S. spec A3 was quite a nice car and never felt uncomfortable or squeezed.) This is my third Audi. (previously owned a 1998 A4 Cabriolet and a 2001 A4 2.8LV6 Quattro). I'm glad to be back in the Audi family with a car that is more like the A4's I owned previously, rather than a larger, and heavier new A4 that it has become. The A3 has a more nimble lighter feel, and a heightened level of sportiness over the lastest A4's.

One important note is that the A3 trunk is only 10.5 cubic inches with the Quattro opition, otherwise it is almost the size of the A4 (2014) trunk. All quattros reduce the trunk space. But it has a nice split seat fold down option that still allows for a child seat in the back and extra room for storage with one of the two folding seat sides in the down position. So it is really dependent upon how many children you have and if you get the Quattro option. (for the guy who wants an S3 then the trunk space will be the Quattro sized trunk with no choice). But my point is that an A4 or Allroad, is a good bit more in price with the identical equipment of the A3 Prestige and on top of that neither the A4 nor the Allroad come with the newer MMI system and router. That is a big thing to give up to save some money now and then later wish you had the newest MMI system. If you have the money and can do a short lease on the car then that poster is correct, but there are many I believe who do not want to spend that extra money, especially if they end up with an MMI system that is already becoming outdated.

It is always a matter of opinion and personal needs, but I would just recommend anyone to actually check out the car and not listen to owners of previous larger Audi's in making thier decision.

Last edited by jdouglas2000; 08-14-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Why not grab a stroller and anything else you think you are going to need. Take it to the dealer and see if it fits.

Quick Reply: Question for A3/S3 owners before buying