Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Rear Side Airbags are they OK with kids?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Side Airbags are they OK with kids?

I ordered the rear side air bags thinking I was protecting my kids riding in the rear.

I watched a video on youtube where the guy said he did not opt for them incase he puts a car seat back there. Is that a concern?

Is there a sensor to detect weight like the passenger sensor or is it not an issue?

There is no disclaimer or warning when selecting the option.

Any info on it?
Old 12-22-2014, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I didn't get them because I have car seats too. Although I did no research, I just guessed. Only option I didn't get... Maybe I'll just skip reading whatever answer you find out all I don't feel bad about not getting them
Old 12-22-2014, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

After some more thought, I mean really, would Audi offer rear side airbags that would be dangerous to any rear occupants, including children in car seats... I highly doubt it.

I guess I would like to know how they are designed to work or deploy.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

A quick search of the internet seems to reveal that they are in fact fine, provided that the seat and child is harnessed properly. See excerpt:

"If your car has side airbags, make sure that the child restraint does not rest against the door. Your child should be sitting properly in the seat and not leaning close to, or against, the door or window. If in doubt, ask the vehicle manufacturer how far the airbag comes out when it deploys.

Some cars have curtain airbags that drop down in front of the rear seats in the event of a side-impact crash. There is no evidence that curtain airbags cause any problems for a child who is restrained correctly in their child car seat. But check the seat manufacturer's approval list and your car manufacturer's handbook."
Old 12-23-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info!

However, after reading it, anybody who has gone through the joys of car seats and children in boosters know that sleeping children will lay there head toward the door window.

I will have to look into this further.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

You are going to find pros and cons out on the internet.

I would stick to reading federal safety and insurance institutes, and not be guided by other hype.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
You are going to find pros and cons out on the internet.

I would stick to reading federal safety and insurance institutes, and not be guided by other hype.
That's great advice.

I am just caught off guard as I never even considered optional air bags to be a controversy. There is no warnings or information on Audi's website when you select it as an option. The dealer never offered any opinion or consideration when I selected it.

I have called Audi of America and they are having the right people call me back to answer my question/concern.

I'm still going with the fact that they are fine. No way they would put a safety device in a car that would or even could impact children or passengers. Goes completely against what the option is for.

I have read some information on the Internet and it appears that rear side air bags have been out for at least fifteen years so I really have no worries and will let my order stand as is.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interested to follow this. We are on our first of several (hopefully) wee ones, and opted to not get the rear airbags in either our Q5 nor S3, due to the safety concerns we had heard/read from several infant seat manufacturers. Safety is highly important to us, so it was a difficult decision. But our thinking was that once we are out of the infant seat stage, and into a normal car seat that we would probably be trading in the current cars anyway and could get it then. It'd be a much harder decision of you were planning to keep the car for a while.

I agree with the comments about Audi not putting safety devices in the car that pose risk. But we felt like the infant seat manufacturers and car seat safety review sites were experienced and credible, and didn't feel that we were educated enough in that area to question them.

This was about 3 years ago, and things do change. Interested to know what else you find out.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

My dealer reviewed the A3/S3 manual and said there was nothing specific in the manual regarding concerns for the rear side air bags.

I have two kids and my youngest is in a booster but not for much longer. I posted the question to Audis Live discussion on the A3/S3 thats coming. See Audis home page to register and ask questions.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

SIDE AIR BAGS: ARE THEY SAFE FOR KIDS?

YES!!! As of 2008, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has investigated over 1,500 crashes where SABs deployed. Sixty of the crashes involved children (ages 13 and under).

NHTSA has reported only one child who has been injured by a side airbag; a 3-year old sitting unrestrained in the front seat (of course you wouldn’t let your 3-yr-old ride in the front seat, let alone unrestrained!) who sustained minor facial skin lacerations from the side airbag cover.

No children are known to have been seriously or fatally injured by a side airbag. A study of children in side-impact crashes found no increased risk of injury to children age 15 and younger associated with side airbag deployment.

NHTSA continues to closely monitor real-world SAB deployments involving both children and adults.

Theres more information on this web site regarding car seats but in the end, it appears that there are no cases of severely injured or fatalities related to rear side air bags.

Side Air Bags and Your Kids ? What You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe | The Car Seat Lady