Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Recurring Low Oil Light 2016 Audi S3

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recurring Low Oil Light 2016 Audi S3

This is an update on an old thread on low oil levels.

I picked up my brand new 2016 S3 on May 11th. Since then I have had six low oil level lights in car. Each time the car has been down a quart. Here are the intervals.

1,100 Miles Low Oil Light
Break-In Oil Change: 1,400 Miles
2,850 Miles Low Oil Light
4,150 Miles: Low Oil Light
5,206 Miles: Low Oil Light
5,880 Miles: 5K Service.
7,300 Miles: Low Oil Light
9,387 Miles: Low Oil Light

Originally the interval between lights was 1200 to 1400 miles but the last two times it has been longer at 1500 miles and then around 2000 miles this last time.

What could be going on here and what explains the increased intervals? There is no leaking around the gaskets or from the engine. I've got to think it's damage to the rings. And the increased interval could be the rings seating or wearing in more and/or the colder weather and tighter engine tolerances. I really have no idea.

Anyways, I started to push back harder on the dealer this time because i'm starting to feel like I received a Hungarian made lemon. My sunroof also rattles like a baby rattle.

The dealer's response was this:

"As far as the oil level, if you look in your owner’s manual it will say the vehicle may use up to 0.5quarts every 600 miles. According to the mileage you gave me you have driven 1,997 miles since we checked and topped it off, so I cannot guarantee we are going to find something wrong."

They also sent me a pdf copy of the Audi manual page 242 which states this:

"The oil consumption of the engine may be up to 1/2 quart per 600 miles (0.5 liter per 1,000 km), depending on driving style and conditions...."

I'm not sure what to think here. The level of oil consumption from a brand new car is alarming. But according to the dealer it is perfectly normal.

I would appreciate thoughts on this. What could be causing this and what are my next steps?
Old 12-03-2016, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i've never got the low oil warning on my s3. i did have to top off the coolant level a little (but no light warning just noticed the level was slightly at or below the min line)

so far i'm at 9,200mi. and had my 5k service done at 4,500mi.

My 2007 s4 needed to have about a full quart of oil every 400-600 miles though. Was constantly getting the oil level light. Very annoying. Has to check my oil EVERY time I filled up a tank of gas. I suspected worn seals.

Did you follow proper break in procedure? Do you drive the car hard a lot? Is it tuned?
Old 12-03-2016, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markN1689
i've never got the low oil warning on my s3. i did have to top off the coolant level a little (but no light warning just noticed the level was slightly at or below the min line)

so far i'm at 9,200mi. and had my 5k service done at 4,500mi.

My 2007 s4 needed to have about a full quart of oil every 400-600 miles though. Was constantly getting the oil level light. Very annoying. Has to check my oil EVERY time I filled up a tank of gas. I suspected worn seals.

Did you follow proper break in procedure? Do you drive the car hard a lot? Is it tuned?

I followed the break-in procedure to the letter. I didn't exceed 4000 rpm's until 1200 miles. I thought nothing of the 1st low oil light. I paid out of pocket for a break-in oil change as well. I put on the lap timer and won't put the car into S mode or exceed 4000 rpm's until the oil temp is over 200 degrees. I do drive it spiritedly from time to time but day in and day out i'm in traffic to and from work. So no I wouldn't say this car has been beaten. It's a lease that I plan on, or had planned on, buying.

No tune. Only mods are ECS wheel spacers and a K&N panel filter put in at 1400 miles. I have the Audi OEM resonator delete as well.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As for the sunroof rattle, any fix for that through the dealer? There is a rattle noise in my car and I thought its from the rear suspensions, but the mechanic from the dealer said its the sunroof and he applied a special chemical to the railings but that didn't help. So the dealer said just wait till my first service at 8K and They'll fix it for me!
Old 12-04-2016, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vancity88
As for the sunroof rattle, any fix for that through the dealer? There is a rattle noise in my car and I thought its from the rear suspensions, but the mechanic from the dealer said its the sunroof and he applied a special chemical to the railings but that didn't help. So the dealer said just wait till my first service at 8K and They'll fix it for me!
Dropping it tomorrow night for the sunroof rattle. They lubed it last time and as expected it did nothing.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update. I dropped off the car at the dealer Monday night so they can fix the sunroof rattle and check the low oil light. Picked it up tonight. The sunroof still rattles badly.

They told me they spoke with Audi regarding my low oil light situation and Audi advised them to do a "micro oil test" on the car. Supposedly they downloaded some new software on my car that will monitor the oil on a micro level. I'm supposed to bring it back if and when the low oil light comes on again.

Frankly this sounds made up to me and they can't even fix the sunroof.

Does anyone know what this mystical software addition might be?
Old 12-07-2016, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jclaib7
Update. I dropped off the car at the dealer Monday night so they can fix the sunroof rattle and check the low oil light. Picked it up tonight. The sunroof still rattles badly.

They told me they spoke with Audi regarding my low oil light situation and Audi advised them to do a "micro oil test" on the car. Supposedly they downloaded some new software on my car that will monitor the oil on a micro level. I'm supposed to bring it back if and when the low oil light comes on again.

Damn, no fix for the sunroof ?? For my first service, I won't get the car back from them until they fix the sunroof !! when the radio is off, the sounds is very loud ..
Old 12-27-2016, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you ever get the oil light figured out? I have a 2015 A3 2.0T/Quattro and my light just started coming on every 2000-2500 miles after getting APR stage 1. The car now has 51,000 miles on it, got the tune at 45K, and coincidentally that's when the oil light started coming on. Audi told me the same thing they told you, and 0.5-1 quart every 2000 miles is normal and "that's why they keep oil by their desks." It's annoying for such a nice car, but I guess I might have to live with it!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I followed the break-in procedure to the letter. I didn't exceed 4000 rpm's until 1200 miles. I thought nothing of the 1st low oil light. I paid out of pocket for a break-in oil change as well. I put on the lap timer and won't put the car into S mode or exceed 4000 rpm's until the oil temp is over 200 degrees. I do drive it spiritedly from time to time but day in and day out i'm in traffic to and from work. So no I wouldn't say this car has been beaten. It's a lease that I plan on, or had planned on, buying.

No tune. Only mods are ECS wheel spacers and a K&N panel filter put in at 1400 miles. I have the Audi OEM resonator delete as well.
On most of the aluminum block engines if you follow the audi break in "procedure" you are screwed you will get low oil lights a lot. The prevailing thought is it doesn't seal the rings to the bores and you get oil blow by and it burns.

The two most common cases for oil consumption is rings and the PCV valve. For a iron block engine your consumption is unacceptable. I went through this with my B6 S4 and it was a nightmare to keep seeing the light on and adding oil.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't know about that. for one the b6/7 s4 engine is VERY prone to blowback. i had the same issue on my b7 s4. had to dump a quart in it every 500 miles.

whereas on my a3, tt and now s3 (broken in properly)- i have no oil consumption issues.