Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Retrofitting: Audi Drive Select (Kinda retrofit)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Could have sworn the coasting function was controlled via dual clutch S-Tronic transmission. If you're in an A3, then you don't have the S-Tronic so no coasting function...
Traced it on the wiring diagram, a module that controls power... forget the exact name. Basically it looks like most of the wiring is already in place, just this lets the car know how to modulate battery power that works in conjunction with the disengagement. A bunch of VCD coding comparisons with some folks overseas.

Ironically if I put the car in neutral while coasting, MPG overall goes up (calculating via tank and not the MFS).
Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mroberte
Just got a call from the dealership and everything is activated including the Efficiency mode. I'll go pick it up in a few hours with additional pics to post.
So Just to confirm, you were able to have a dealership (one in SF I think you wrote) activated the new hardware (the button) and code the vehicle to it, after you installed the hardware (harness and button). Is that correct? I ask because I've found dealers typically won't warranty the work someone else did.

Also the 8V0063765 picture online (ebay and one at http://www.hahn-onlineshop.de/zubeho...lenker/a-6633/) shows zip ties, harness and some square things. Can you explain what those are? Is there more than one drive select button that comes with this retrofit kit?
Old 01-23-2017, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
So Just to confirm, you were able to have a dealership (one in SF I think you wrote) activated the new hardware (the button) and code the vehicle to it, after you installed the hardware (harness and button). Is that correct? I ask because I've found dealers typically won't warranty the work someone else did.

Also the 8V0063765 picture online (ebay and one at http://www.hahn-onlineshop.de/zubeho...lenker/a-6633/) shows zip ties, harness and some square things. Can you explain what those are? Is there more than one drive select button that comes with this retrofit kit?
Yes, they installed as I purchased the retrofit kit from Audi. Within the booklet, it is warrantied for the normal life of the car I believe. Most dealerships will not be helpful or know what to do tho, so be forewarned as I had ALOT of issues with SF dealership trying to get out of fixing the ADS when it disappeared.

You don't need the ADS button, but the wire basically is to connect it to the ECU module. Basically what you really need is the activation code which is tied to your VIN when you order the kit. This kit does not come with a new center console button unit, you will have to buy that separately.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

mroberte, I bought a console switch that has a "Drive Select" button and I bought the retrofit kit from hahn-onlineshop.de via ebay. A couple online US Audi dealers told me they weren't able to buy 8V0063765 retrofit kit. I'm in the Sacramento area and there's a repair shop in Auburn that has the Audi VAS software to be able to adapt hardware to cars. I'm hoping they can perform the adaption.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

mroberte, I bought a console switch that has a "Drive Select" button and I bought the retrofit kit from hahn-onlineshop.de via ebay. A couple online US Audi dealers told me they weren't able to buy 8V0063765 retrofit kit. I'm in the Sacramento area and there's a repair shop in Auburn that has the Audi VAS software to be able to adapt hardware to cars. I'm hoping they can perform the adaption.
Hoping they can get it working for you. I was under the impression that this is a software download and requires direct download from Audi in Germany's servers. Did you provide your VIN number when you ordered? If not you can just take the retrofit kit to a dealer (maybe one out of your area) and they can activate (you have the code too?). Keep us updated!
Old 01-25-2017, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mroberte, when you write "you have the code too?" does that mean a code comes with the retrofit kit. Yes, I agree that the download comes from Audi but I believe Audi authorized VAS users (like one in Auburn) don't necessarily have to be Audi dealers. I will of course confirm once I finish this experiment.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mroberte, when you write "you have the code too?" does that mean a code comes with the retrofit kit. Yes, I agree that the download comes from Audi but I believe Audi authorized VAS users (like one in Auburn) don't necessarily have to be Audi dealers. I will of course confirm once I finish this experiment.
Correct, there is an activation code that will be required in order to get/download the necessary software to flash onto whichever module to enable ADS. That is essentially what you are buying when you purchase the retrofit... the license.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, received item 8V0063765 from Germany ($225 shipped). It is indeed a single, 2-wire bundle, tie wraps, instructions, and an activation code/proof-of-purchase document. Next I'll install the console switch that I purchased separately, install the harness, and take it to my local, authorized audi repair shop to activate the Drive Select.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update: I installed the wire harness and inserted the pins into the harness connectors as specified by the instructions. It was fairly simple but it's never enjoyable to remove plastic panels, even with plastic tools designed for interior work (harbor freight) since there's slight risk of tabs breaking or metal springs flying off.

Then I installed my new switch panel which I did not see is missing the "passenger airbag" lettering and light. This caused a yellow passenger airbag light to come on the dash. I think the ECU is looking for the LED that lights up that lettering and it's not there. Now I'm back on ebay looking for the proper switch panel. There are plenty out there but some don't have that passenger airbag led. I considered desoldering the led that's on the board inside the switch panel and soldering it to my new one but I'm not good at soldering and the risk to me outweighs the reward. It's a tiny led.

Appt to code the new software to the car is next week.

Last edited by Dr_Evil; 02-15-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update: I installed the wire harness and inserted the pins into the harness connectors as specified by the instructions. It was fairly simple but it's never enjoyable to remove plastic panels, even with plastic tools designed for interior work (harbor freight) since there's slight risk of tabs breaking or metal springs flying off.

Then I installed my new switch panel which I did not see is missing the "passenger airbag" lettering and light. This caused a yellow passenger airbag light to come on the dash. I think the ECU is looking for the LED that lights up that lettering and it's not there. Now I'm back on ebay looking for the proper switch panel. There are plenty out there but some don't have that passenger airbag led. I considered desoldering the led that's on the board inside the switch panel and soldering it to my new one but I'm not good at soldering and the risk to me outweighs the reward. It's a tiny led.

Appt to code the new software to the car is next week.
If you haven't already, you can use your old switch board and solder the momentary switch from the DS button to the old board. Then put in the newer casing and it should work. The board is super basic. Do t think there is an LED light for the DS button either (I forget).

First time I took the car apart it was very nerve racking too. Glad you'll have the ADS soon!

Quick Reply: Retrofitting: Audi Drive Select (Kinda retrofit)