Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 or A3? Advice welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3 or A3? Advice welcome.

Hey all starting to really consider an A3 for my next car. The debate for me is really around the 2.0 A3 or going for it with an S3. I don't really 'need' an S3 this car would be a daily driver for me. I'm looking to probably test drive both in the next week or so which will probably help a lot.

The 220 hp 2.0 in that little car seems like it would be tons of get up and go, but I assume the S3 would be next level. I'm coming for a 2006 Jetta so either of these are going to be a big upgrade for me.

Also I know there aren't a ton of visual differences between the two but the S3 is definitely a nicer looking car. Anyone have experience with the two of these cars your insight would be appreciated.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think it boils down to what you're really expecting out of your car on an everyday basis. For me, the choice of an A3 2.0 came down to realistic factors: a lower cost and better mileage than an S3 (especially in L.A. traffic!). I'd say it's still pretty fun to drive when I want to let loose a little on the canyons, but I'm also not the type of person to take a car to the track. I'd equate the A3 2.0 to still having to wear your business outfit but undoing your top button and rolling up your sleeves.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

The S3 is loads of fun to drive. It is lower. When equipped with magnetic suspension it has "multiple personalities" of driving experience. It has a powerful engine. The drivetrain is geared for performance.

But a non-sport suspension A3 is going to have the most comfortable ride. Its ride height is higher. The drivetrain has more economy gearing.

Both can be daily drivers. A3 will cost less per mile. S3 more.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I thought about an a3 2.0 before i bought my s3, even browsed online a little bit, that ended after all of 10 minutes. Aside from the performance, the s3 looks ALOT more aggressive. Plus if you're considering one now you'll regret not getting one if you get an a3 imo.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just pick up my 2015 A3 a few days ago and so far I love it. I really wanted the S3 but the wife wasn't really going for it lol but she compromised on the A3. So far the drive feels more than enough for me, it drives really well and is fast! It's a 2.0T Prestige, and honestly I can honestly say I think the S3 would of been a bit too much seeing this is just going to be used as a daily drive car. Though I'm not saying I wouldn't still want the S3 lol just that I have no regrets so far not getting it. Besides that I'm still getting the hang of the MMI and all the luxury features seeing that I'm coming from a Mazda 3 lol. Loving it so far though!
Old 09-25-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, I never drove a A3, but the few times my wife lets me drive her S3 (mostly "my car needs gas"), I will have to say that it drives quite like my RS5. Not the same power, acceleration etc, but really fun! Get the S!
Old 09-25-2015, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have the A3 with sports suspension and ordered it before the S3 pricing was even announced. I had been beating myself up for a while not getting (read: wife not going for it either) the S3, as I do track the car about 8 times a year, and I know I would have loved the magride.
However, since then I've gotten the APR chip, H&R sports springs, and the S3 calipers with track pads & steel brake lines. I'll probably also do the Bilsten B16 suspension come spring.
Speed wise, any faster I'd be a real ******* on the road. On the track, the Bilsten will handle better than the magride. Even if I got the S3, I know I would have slowly upgraded the car because I like to do stuff to it.
Car is *awesome* on the track. One other S3 on the track tends to pass me on the straights, but not that much quicker. Otherwise, we're pretty close. I also track it with my 19 year old son, so not having a 0-60 in 3.6s car is... better.
Anyway, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! :-)
Old 09-25-2015, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I read, not much difference in performance between the 2.0T A3 and the S3 well besides the 70 additional horses.

The S3 is louder, harder/harsher because it's low and it has a quad exhaust

- -

But the key factors you might have seen me bring up on these Audi forums.

Which I'd say is the only driving factor to sway you.

Is the A3 lacks an automatic washer system for the headlights (I don't know why Audi omitted this for the US because the Euro A3s have them). The S3 has the automatic washer system.

S3 has magnetic ride that can damper the suspension as an option where as the US A3s don't get that (even though the Euro A3s can be optioned with magnetic ride). Don't know why Audi didn't do this for the US A3, but I guess it's only important if you want to soften the S3 harsh ride since it is much lower than an A3. --25mm vs the A3's -15mm with the Sports Package.
You can also adjust the sound resonator of the exhaust in the S3, where as A3 sound resonator there's no option

A3 2.0T gets better MPG than the S3.

Last edited by gamegenie; 09-25-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ober, just curious, what are you driving now?
Old 09-27-2015, 01:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Seems like you seem to think the automatic washer system for the headlights is something that you think SHOULD be in an A3.

I, personally, am glad it is not. I've had a few cars with the system before, it's most likely to fail precisely in the type of weather it is supposed to help with... when ice is building up on your headlights to keep them clean.

Except then you need headlight washer washers... because the ice ends up building up in the headlight washers, causing them to fail when the motors can't break the ice that gums up the washers...

or the lines burst because you were using -20 wiper fluid and a "polar vortex" hits giving you -40 temperatures for a couple days.

Oh, and it's a few hundred dollars to fix the system when it does break.

Oh and kids like to steal the plastic caps covering the system (at least on bmws which stick up and are obvious), also causing it to break, much like hood ornaments of yore.

Quick Reply: S3 or A3? Advice welcome.